Uninstall Vista install Windows 7

Started by stevenrw, Feb 24, 2010, 12:02:45

Previous topic - Next topic

stevenrw

Some help for a dummy please guys.
Her 'indoors has Vista HP on her lappy and it behaves like a dog. She's sick of how slow it is and that means earache for me.
So I'm tempted to bin it and install Windows 7. (Or even XP)
However, the stuff I've read seems to recommend a clean install, which means uninstalling the pile of poo that is Vista and installing W7.
This is going to be a really dumb question I know, but how do I uninstall an OS? You can't use uninstall programs obviously, and I assume you need to reformat the disc afterwards, but I really don't know how or where to start.

You guys will know for sure...

Inkblot

You're right in thinking that you cannot uninstall the OS in this instance! Instead, installing W7 (And formatting the drive in the process) will effectively uninstall it for you as the drive will be empty thus giving you a 'clean' install. Before doing anything however, make a copy of all the important data on the laptop - letters, spreadsheets, maybe emails, definately photos and so on. Then make another copy. Only after that should you consider wiping the system clean and starting over.

Good luck!

PS Make another copy of your data just in case.....

Rik

And then one which you store off site. ;)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

stevenrw

I think I get the idea about backing up the data...... ;D

Seriously though, just installing W7 from the disc "over" Vista will effectively reformat and give a clean install right?

So how would you be able to do anything other than a clean install?

I'm looking to buy the upgrade edition (from XP and Vista) from Amazon, not the whole thing
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002DGS81C/ref=s9_simh_gw_p65_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1Q2RRNJSS1521569J2WF&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294

Ray

You can do an upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 without wiping everything from your disk, Steven, but if you are having problems with the existing Vista install you would be better of doing a clean install of Windows 7, there are step by step instructions on the Microsoft site for an upgrade install here .

Instructions here for doing a custom or clean install.
Ray
--------------------

Lance

I did a clean install, formatting during the process, on my HP laptop with no problems. Because HP hadn't released W7 drivers for my model, I used the drivers for other models from HP's website and for the graphics card direct from nvidia's website.
Lance
_____

Steve

Windows 7 did a good job with a relatively old Toshiba laptop of ours with finding the right drivers . I was suitably impressed and haven't resorted to any of Toshiba's drivers from the website. I do recall the setting up XP and Vista was a right pain due to the additional drivers required from the Toshiba website
Steve
------------

Lance

It found drivers for most things, but not the fingerprint reader, graphics card and the 'quickplay' keys as far as I can remember.
Lance
_____

D-Dan

I did an upgrade from Vista 64 to Win 7 64, and two months later my system is still peachy. However, I did prepare for the upgrade first by:

Doing a complete system backup - just in case
Uninstalling all redundant programs
Uninstalling hardware drivers where warnings were given
Uninstalling graphics drivers (even though I got no warnings)
Creating a second backup
Being prepared to do a fresh install if required.

You can upgrade a well running system successfully, but you need to fully prepare for it in advance. Don't bother upgrading a flaky system, the flakes will upgrade to snowballs with it.

Steve
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

Rik

Quote from: D-Dan on Feb 25, 2010, 00:13:00
Don't bother upgrading a flaky system, the flakes will upgrade to snowballs with it.

:karmic:
Rik
--------------------

cavillas

Quote from: stevenrw on Feb 24, 2010, 13:20:33
I think I get the idea about backing up the data...... ;D

I'm looking to buy the upgrade edition (from XP and Vista) from Amazon, not the whole thing

If you have children of school age or grandchildren of schoolage and attending school or if you have a Uni email address then go to Software4students.  You cna buy the full windows7 quite cheaply.
------
Alf :)