Ethernet connection on windows 7

Started by Lona, Feb 24, 2010, 22:47:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Lona

I've been trying all day to network 3 pcs.  One has XP, one has Vista and one with win7.

After much ado I've got them networked but the XP one when I test it, although I can see the win7 pc I am not allowed access but the vista machine has access both ways to the win7 machine.

My biggest problem of all is trying to set up an ethernet connection on the win7 pc.  I have a wireless connection but would also like to connect by ethernet as it's much faster.

I keep getting error 651. 

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Lance

Lona, you could give this a try: http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-7/error-651-with-pppoe-connections-in-windows-7/

Make sure you back up first and I must stress I've not done this myself so can't vouch for the method or files being fiddled with!
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lona

I had already tried that but when I try to rename the file it states I must be a  trusted installer.  I do have admin rights but it still won't allow me to rename the file.

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

D-Dan

Do you have passwords set on the remote user accounts from each machine. XP is happy with no password. Vista and 7 prefer passwords in place?

Steve
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

Lona

I managed to configure admin rights to full rights and changed the file name and copied in the file from vista but I still can't set up the ethernet connection.

I keep getting connecting with wan miniport pppoe then error 651 comes up again

Steve

May be of no use at all but try registering the file.

Welcome to Microsoft Answers.

How are you trying to connect, just by opening IE? Is this wireless or wired? Has your router been reset? By any chance, are you using virtual PC on your computer?
I would suggest you to remove any VPN software if installed and then check.

I would suggest you to rename raspppoe.sys to raspppoe.old and then copy a working file from the vista computer again and check.

I would also suggest you to try and re - register the file and then check. To re- register the file follow the below steps as -
1. Click Start.
2. In search window type 'cmd' and ENTER. Right click and select 'Run as administrator'.
3. In the command window that opens type regsvr32 raspppoe.sys and press Enter.

Hope this helps. Let us know the results.
Thanks,
Meghmala – Microsoft Support
Steve
------------

Lona

Did all the renaming of file and copying the vista working one.

The easy solutions are sometimes the least thought of as when I couldn't get ethernet to connect I disabled the wireless connection rebooted and the ethernet connection took over.

Now why didn't I do that in the first place I ask myself. :blush:

Rik

It's odd that you should have to, Lona. :(
Rik
--------------------