Broadband virgin

Started by Gee, May 13, 2006, 14:29:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Gee

Hi guys

Im a broadband virgin, and I'm seriously considering signing up with IDnet, as I like what I hear. Been on dial up so far, and just got out of NTL as they couldnt provide me with a dial up connection for 2 months due to some problems between them and BT. I know I know...NTHell!  ::)

OK, so I have few Qs pls:

1. I have no ADSL modem/router, so Im considering Speedtouch 300 USB modem, as dont really need a router, so how do you feel about it, is it a good little peace of hardware?

2. Is IDnet charge paid in advance?

3. I'm sure I read somewhere that I can get a free hardware if I stay with them for 6 motnhs, but can';t find the info now. Am I mistaken?

4. How long will it take them to get me up and running(sending hardware, activation, connection etc)

5. Is static address better or worse in terms of security? And does IDnet provide only static address or is static optional?

6. Does IDnet block any ports/sites/P2P/Torrents etc?

7. FInally, I think there was a special offer going about £10 discount for me and the person who recommended them to me. Again, can;t find where I read it! I think Im going senile!  ;D

All Qs I can thin of for now.

Thanks for any help  :)

Gee
Gee

Najarak

Answers to your questions :-
1. Get an ethernet router,they are much less trouble than USB modems, provide an inbuilt firewall and do not absorb any computing power.
2. IDNet take one month in advance, together with the Activation Fee.
3. I've never seen this.
4. Probably depends on BT, give support a ring on Monday.
5. IDNet use static IPs. Opinion seems ot be equally divided over the benefits of fixed IP over variable ones.
6. IDNet do not block any ports.
7. There is an offer, follow the "News" link on IDNet's Home page for details.

I hope this helps.
Steve

mrapoc

Firstly welcome to IDNETTERS W0o0o0o0oo0o0o0o  8)
QuoteI have no ADSL modem/router, so Im considering Speedtouch 300 USB modem, as dont really need a router, so how do you feel about it, is it a good little peace of hardware?
Any modem will do you good as long as you don't want to use the max service
QuoteIs IDnet charge paid in advance?
As far as i know you pay your tariff at the end of each month with additional charges if you go over your monthly limit (Monthly contract - leave if you want but you gotta be crazy)
QuoteI'm sure I read somewhere that I can get a free hardware if I stay with them for 6 motnhs, but can';t find the info now. Am I mistaken?
I don't think this is true. I'm sure one of the more "experienced" members will enlighten you.
QuoteHow long will it take them to get me up and running(sending hardware, activation, connection etc)
Well it should take your exchange about ten days+ to activate your line to broadband but after that (yep this is up to BT - no deadlines are met with a hurry) IdNet should have you up and running after about 5 days
QuoteIs static address better or worse in terms of security? And does IDnet provide only static address or is static optional?
No idea as i dont use it - i have no need as i have router with built in security but again im sure some1 can enlighten you.
QuoteDoes IDnet block any ports/sites/P2P/Torrents etc?
NOPE  ;D
QuoteFInally, I think there was a special offer going about £10 discount for me and the person who recommended them to me. Again, can;t find where I read it! I think Im going senile!
You saw it at www.idnet.co.uk or www.idnet.net both work  :D

mrapoc

heh beat me to it

i recommend getting a ethernet router off ebay - got mine in perfect condition (speedtouch 580) for £30  :)

Gee

Thanks guys, these are very helpful answers  ;D Much appreciatted.

Gee
Gee

mrapoc

karma karma karma karma karma chameleon (just a hint for being helpful)  ::)

Gee

Quote from: mrapoc on May 14, 2006, 12:06:15
karma karma karma karma karma chameleon (just a hint for being helpful)  ::)

?????????? ???
Gee

Coopes

There you go i'll give it you for Gee :D
Regards

Mark

http://marksdigitalimages.blogspot.com/
Its nice to be important, but its more important to be nice.

mrapoc

thanks for the karma - ill give Najarak 1 too if thats ok

Scott

Quote from: mrapoc on May 14, 2006, 18:49:30
thanks for the karma - ill give Najarak 1 too if thats ok

Feelin' the love guys !! Good job all round !
Member of the IDNet Mafia
How to Spot and Deal with Trolls

Coopes

Regards

Mark

http://marksdigitalimages.blogspot.com/
Its nice to be important, but its more important to be nice.

mrapoc