Is it best to match your Router choice to the DSLAM chip?

Started by Jimbo, Apr 09, 2010, 18:32:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbo

Hi

I've been seeing topics on the internet that say it's best to try and get the same chipset in your Router that your DSLAM uses.  Is there any truth in this?

I've found that my Exchange uses an Infineon (IFTN) - Huawei setup.

I've always been told use a Broadcom Chipset for a long/bad line, but I'm wondering if I should tryout an Infineon chip instead.

Anymore info on this?

Thanks.  :)

Rik

It has been true in the past with DSLAMs, Jimbo, but I've not seen any evidence of it with MSANs. IAC, it only really seemed to affect the TI chipset. Does your router indicate the chipset you're connected to? Mine indicates the chip set rather than the MSAN manufacturer.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Jimbo

Quote from: Rik on Apr 09, 2010, 18:36:34
It has been true in the past with DSLAMs, Jimbo, but I've not seen any evidence of it with MSANs. IAC, it only really seemed to affect the TI chipset. Does your router indicate the chipset you're connected to? Mine indicates the chip set rather than the MSAN manufacturer.

Hi mate

Well from what I can gather I may be using an Infineon chip already.  :eyebrow:  (DrayTek 2710n).  I've seen topics stating the DrayTek 2820 series use an Infineon chip.  Also, were TI (Texas Instruments) not taken over by Infineon?

So are DSLAMs old Rik (sorry if that's a daft question) and MSANs have replaced them? 

Yeah if I telnet onto the Router I get the DSLAM Chipset Vendor:-

So is this something that's not really needed anymore?

Cheers for the info.  :)

Rik

Yup, if you're on WBC you'll have been moved to an MSAN, and we all will be as BT rollout WBC and phase out DSLAMs. If it works OK, I wouldn't worry too much. :
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Jimbo

Quote from: Rik on Apr 09, 2010, 19:06:12
Yup, if you're on WBC you'll have been moved to an MSAN, and we all will be as BT rollout WBC and phase out DSLAMs. If it works OK, I wouldn't worry too much. :

:thumb: