bt stress me out

Started by Zennon, May 11, 2010, 10:39:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Zennon

Hi, switched to idnet this morning on the Home Supermax package tried and tested my pings had lowered  nice i thought, so i jumped on xbox live and wow it was great top of the leader board on mw2 kills a breeze, all was well then the line went off so i checked my router and bt had put interleaving on the line up to 45ms now and i suk at mw2 again.
why oh why i have had fast path for a longtime with no probs and now they have set my snr to 15 gutted to be honest.
Hope things get fixed i have rang and asked for fast path to be reinstated my son when he gets home will say oh dad why did we move and probably kick the xbox lol :(

Rik

Hi and welcome to the forum. :welc: :karma:

It sounds like your line is unstable. BT have turned interleaving back on in an attempt to try and stabilise it. They've also upped your target margin to 15db for the same reason. Tell me a bit about your phone wiring. How many sockets do you have, do you have the new style NTE5 master socket, where the bottom part of the faceplate can be removed, what's connected to the line, do you use any extension leads.

A BT speed test and your router stats would be helpful. Shout if you need any help to get at them.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

:welc: :karma:

Nothing to add to what Rik's said
Steve
------------

Ray

Ray
--------------------

Zennon

Hi guys,
I have sat and worked this out last night my 2wire2700hgv had an update to v6 now this took out my http but the other protocols like ftp , messenger were still working.
This morning i used my billion bipac 5200 so i could connect to http again to find i was now with idnet put in my details and away we go.
Ive have not used this router before as the 2wire is great.
I have discovered that the firmware installed to the billion 3.6.0.0 forces the snr to 6db no matter what so bt have seen the 6 db and know my line has a higher db of 12 usualy and tried to force it up and the billion has forced it back down , so they have put interleaving on because of the disconection dam router.
Anyway i have a new 2wire on now with v5 firmware my line can handle fast path at 12db snr i hope i can get this back and the billion is dangling out of my window as we speak with a torrent of swears being hurled at it.

DSL Line (Wire Pair):     Line 1 (inner pair)
Downstream Rate Cap:    8128 kbps
Downstream Atten. at 300kHz:    39.9 dB
Uncancelled Echo:    -13.4 dB    Ok
VCXO Frequency Offset:    19.7 ppm    Ok
Final Rx Gain:    22.5 dB    Ok
Impulse Noise Comp. Tones:    0    Ok
Excessive Impulse Noise:    0    Ok
Impulse noise protection:    1.45
Delay of latency path:    8.00 ms <<<<< interleaving :(

Current Rate:         5088 kbs     832 kbs
Max Rate:       5132 kbs       1068 kbs
Current Connection:
   Current Noise Margin:       15.0 dB       13.0 dB
   Current Attenuation:               43.4 dB       24.5 dB
   Current Output Power:       19.8 dBm       12.4 dBm

ATM         Cells         Errors         %
Transmit:       112410       0               0
Receive:       888769       0               0

Zennon

oh forgot to add i use a XTE-2005 Filtered Master Faceplate with a shielded short dsl cable to my router that is right next to the master socket bell wire removed

Rik

You can ask for interleaving to be turned off, but if DLM switches it on again, they are unlikely to switch it off a second time. I would, therefore, wait a few days and see if the line remains stable. The target noise margin should reduce by 3db after 14 continuous days connection, then that cycle repeats until you reach 6db or the line becomes unstable. If you can get to 6db, you should gain ~2M on your speed.
Rik
--------------------

Zennon

Hi, rik
Yes i have asked for it to be turned off i know the 2wire holds up fine on fast path just bad luck my old 2wire got the v6 firmware update just before i went live with idnet then the billion screwing with my snr , i know the 2wire will hold for 14 days no sweat so ill wait it out.
I am not a speed junkie but i like low pings for gaming some people say 45 is a good ping but what a difference between that and 25 the results are alarming from top of the leader board to bottom in one foul swoop lol

Rik

I shouldn't mention mine are around 13-15 then? ;D
Rik
--------------------

Zennon

I can only wish ha , i am a fair bit away from my exchange that's why the need for the 2wire but 25 will do me 5 better than my last isp and 4 bars in mw2 where i could only reach 3 bars connection with my last provider trust bt to update my 2wires firmware behind my back ive poisoned this one i am on now so if they keep the same server that they send the update from ill be ok.

Rik

I'm on a long line, using a 2700 too...
Rik
--------------------

pctech

You all seem to rave about this 2wire router.

Any idea where I can get my hands on an unlocked one?

Glenn

ebay, they normally go for £10 - 20 delivered
Glenn
--------------------

pctech

Good on long lines with 58 dB attentuation?

Lance

I wouldn't specifically look for a unlocked one. Even the 'locked' ones can very easily be made to work with any ISP.
Lance
_____

kinmel

Don't buy an unlocked one, many have the wrong firmware and need upgrading, simply look for "Business Hub" on Ebay and pay no more than £10 delivered and Brand new in box (BNIB)

58dB may get you a 4meg profile.
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Rik

Quote from: pctech on May 11, 2010, 16:02:50
Good on long lines with 58 dB attentuation?

I have 59db.
Rik
--------------------

Zennon

Must be my exchange then why i get 25ms on a 45 att because your att is quite a bit higher than mine Rik

Rik

The two are not directly related. Interleaving can affect pings as can exchange congestion and, most importantly, the geographical distance to the server being pinged, eg an Australian site will take longer than a UK one.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

Here are my stats

I just gave the router a reboot in the hope of giving the BRAS a kick and line rate fell to 896

That horrendous transfer must have really stuffed up the DLM.

ADSL Link            Downstream    Upstream
Connection Speed    896 kbps    448 kbps
Line Attenuation    58.0 db    31.5 db
Noise Margin    15.5 db    21.0 db

Rik

Your target NM is killing you. You really need to aim for a continuous connection for 14 days to start undoing the damage. :(
Rik
--------------------

pctech

I might leave it be and see what happens before I start unscrewing sockets.

Following BT's work to upgrade the exchange to 21CN I was syncing about 1800 and getting 1.6 Meg which I was really chuffed with but following the botched migration I watched the sync rate drop like a stone.

Rik

Botched in what way, Mitch?
Rik
--------------------

quandam

I've got a 2700 Business Hub, used for a short while by me from new. If you want it you can have it for £5.00 plus P&P. PM me if you are interested, not on the top table re the tech bits but will help when & where I can. ;)

pctech

On migration day it would attain sync and establish PPP, drop, attain sync/PPP, drop and so on.

Found a doc on thinkbroadband published by BT about the DLM on Max on 20CN and it says on there the DLM reduces the profile if it resyncs more than 10 times per hour and assuming 21CN is more aggressive then it really must have taken a pounding as it was doing that for close to 24 hours.

I'm pretty sure that isn't how its supposed to work.

Previous migrations I've done while on 20CN have been very smooth and as I said in my other thread it became available the night before when I put the new details in (done this before as the switchover has usually occurred in the small hours)

It was running quite stable, the flapping only started about 11ish in the morning on migration day.