IP Profiles

Started by Bill, May 20, 2010, 11:04:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

I had a couple of sync drops yesterday and am currently sync'd at 11229Kbps. According to the table here:

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=14415.msg353599#msg353599

that should give me an IP profile of 9000Kbps.

However:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 10483 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 1000-99999 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :11229 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1014 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 10000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 20.22:20.19:59.58 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but is the table in error or have BT changed something?

Seems to be an anomalous speed achieved too?
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

The tester has been returning above profile speeds on ADSL2+ for a while, Bill. Makes it really useful.  :eyebrow:

As to profile, I agree, you should be on 9M, the only thing I can think is that it's stuck high, it does sometimes happen.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Bill

Quote from: Rik on May 20, 2010, 11:08:28
The tester has been returning above profile speeds on ADSL2+ for a while, Bill. Makes it really useful.  :eyebrow:

Ah, OK, it so seldom works at all for me that I hadn't noticed that  :P

Quote from: Rik on May 20, 2010, 11:08:28As to profile, I agree, you should be on 9M, the only thing I can think is that it's stuck high, it does sometimes happen.

Not so sure about that, it was 11000 before the resync... but I'll leave it alone, if the code has gone to sleep I don't want to risk waking it up again!
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Bill

Looking a bit more closely at the router log, there were two resyncs within less than five minutes... I've no idea what the sync speed was after the first one. Maybe it got confused.

It's odd on this line- every now and then I'll get a resync for no obvious reason (SNRM looks OK) and it will come back at the same speed (roughly) as before, or sometimes higher. All I can think of is a brief noise burst, any other ideas?
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

ADSL2+ DLM is much more aggressive, Bill, and tweaks the line frequently, forcing a resync and, often, an improved connection. I've seen it a lot and, from what I hear, few people on 2+ have long periods of stable connection as a result.
Rik
--------------------

Bill

In that case I'll stop complaining... it only happens about once every 10-14 days.

:fingers: :fingers: :fingers: :fingers: :fingers: :fingers: :fingers: :fingers: :fingers: :fingers:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

That's about what I find, Bill, whilst Max would stay up for 40 days plus.
Rik
--------------------

Bill

Quote from: Rik on May 20, 2010, 11:50:22
That's about what I find, Bill, whilst Max would stay up for 40 days plus.

Can't remember how long my Max line would stay up... but it's hard to imagine 40+ days passing without me fiddling with something or other that led to a router reboot :P
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

;D

I was a minimalist - don't interfere unless I have to.
Rik
--------------------