Whats happening???

Started by Rudds, Jun 07, 2010, 20:54:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Don't re-boot the router tonight, leave it till the morning, there's less noise around then. :)

You should get down to the Pantry, there we stimulate appetite and spending. ;)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sirian

Ok Rik - I'll just leave it on until tomorrow morning and then re-route the cable - perhaps there wil be a change by then, but no change yet.

Thanks again.

Sirian
/?

Rik

It might take effect overnight, a lot of the BT stuff does then.
Rik
--------------------

Sirian

Thought I would post these stats - everyone on the forum (and James from Tech Support) was totally correct - things did recover in the night. . .

Test1   Download  Speed
   6202 Kbps

0 Kbps   7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speed achieved during the test was - 6202 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds  is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8096 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7000 Kbps

and I have enjoyed a massive learning curve - especially about keeping my router turned on 24/7.  We live and learn and if we don't learn we die.

Many thanks to all who helped. . . .

Best Regards

Sirian
/?

Rik

Glad we could, Sirian. :)
Rik
--------------------

Sirian

I'm so glad you could (and were so willing) as well Rik 

Sirian

and I'll get the hang of inserting "smilies" as well - promise!!

Rik

Just click on the smiley shown in the reply box, or hit 'more' for a greater selection, eg  :wave: :lobster:

The number of food smileys gives you an idea of the character of the forum. ;D
Rik
--------------------

Rudds

Looks like we are having a few problems again tonight. Slow, fast slow again very erratic.

Could this be due to the bad weather over the last few days, as I said before I was very impressed with the constant 6.4 's I have been getting anytime of the day.

Best speed attained this evening....................... has been as low as 1.2mb
Paul

Rik

I'd suspect exchange congestion rather than weather. Check with support, they'll be able to give you the information. (Don't mention you're a City supporter, Martin and I are Tigers fan. ;D)
Rik
--------------------

Rudds

Quote from: Rik on Jun 09, 2010, 19:37:33
I'd suspect exchange congestion rather than weather. Check with support, they'll be able to give you the information. (Don't mention you're a City supporter, Martin and I are Tigers fan. ;D)
Martin told me a couple of weeks ago mate he used to go to filbert street apparently, Tigers have had a really good season shame the City lost on penalties in playoffs but that's football.

So is it that in these rainy evenings more people are frequenting the internet (causing congestion) and on the nicer evenings less so in effect the last couple of weeks that's why we got really good constant speeds, or am I completely wrong :dunno:  At least we are not down to AOL's levels of 0.2 mb if you were lucky sometimes ;D
Paul

Rudds

Paul

Steve

You'll know for definite when the football starts plus Wimbledon tends to chaos havoc most of the afternoon.
Steve
------------

Rik

Quote from: Rudds on Jun 09, 2010, 20:39:52
Martin told me a couple of weeks ago mate he used to go to filbert street apparently, Tigers have had a really good season shame the City lost on penalties in playoffs but that's football.

Go Tigers. ;D

QuoteSo is it that in these rainy evenings more people are frequenting the internet (causing congestion) and on the nicer evenings less so in effect the last couple of weeks that's why we got really good constant speeds, or am I completely wrong :dunno:  At least we are not down to AOL's levels of 0.2 mb if you were lucky sometimes ;D

As Steve says, watch what happens when the world cup starts. If speeds turn dire, it's exchange congestion without a doubt.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

But I wouldn't want to be in charge of planning network capacity at any ISP at the moment as channel 4 have also brought back live streaming of Big Brother.

Rik

Indeed. It's going to be a tricky few weeks, but at least with a hostlink you can light up extra capacity easily and quickly.
Rik
--------------------

Rudds

Quote from: Rik on Jun 10, 2010, 10:07:19
Indeed. It's going to be a tricky few weeks, but at least with a hostlink you can light up extra capacity easily and quickly.
What's that mean in English for the less techie minded then Rik :dunno:

By the way Idnet rock solid again tonight, up to now anyway :thumb:

Paul

Steve

With 20 CN or adslmax the connection from BT to IDNet was by a system of central pipes (fixed capacity)these were very expensive and I think rented on a yearly basis. The hostlink is 21CN WBC technology and replaces the centrals, it is of variable capacity and will allow a short term (3 month) expansion.
Steve
------------

mchunt_idnet

Guilty as charged. I follow the round ball as well as the proper shaped ball!! Rugby balls are easier to catch for us co-ordinationally challenged!  ;)  as for Big Brother if we traffic shaped I would definately shape that - it would be for your own good!

Quote from: Rudds on Jun 09, 2010, 20:39:52

So is it that in these rainy evenings more people are frequenting the internet (causing congestion) and on the nicer evenings less so in effect the last couple of weeks that's why we got really good constant speeds, or am I completely wrong :dunno:  At least we are not down to AOL's levels of 0.2 mb if you were lucky sometimes ;D

pctech

I'd just block the feed Miriam, stop the mass destruction of brain cells.

Rudds

Quote from: mchunt_idnet on Jun 10, 2010, 20:21:30
Guilty as charged. I follow the round ball as well as the proper shaped ball!! Rugby balls are easier to catch for us co-ordinationally challenged!  ;)  as for Big Brother if we traffic shaped I would definately shape that - it would be for your own good!

Oh no  :eek4: now I have given the game away sorry Martin LOL

Things looking good in good old Kibby tonight :thumb:
Paul

Technical Ben

So it's official. IDNet 'We don't traffic shape. The only shaping we do is that of getting the football into the correct one.'  ;D
Oh, and when it comes to BT and BBC and the internet streaming of TV. When the entire country moves over from broadcast to internet streaming... then what? The net dies and BT goes "We had no idea this would happen"?  :slap:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Rik

Almost certainly, Ben.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: pctech on Jun 10, 2010, 20:47:43
I'd just block the feed Miriam, stop the mass destruction of brain cells.

Mchunt is Martin, not Miriam, Mitch. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Simon.
--