BT battles with Brighton's broadband Nimbys

Started by Simon, Jul 05, 2010, 22:39:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

BT's installation of fibre cabinets has once again provoked the ire of residents, this time in Brighton and Hove.

The 1.8m green cabinets are being installed as part of the work to connect Brighton and Hove to BT's super-fast broadband network.

The concerned citizens, from a variety of local conservation groups, wrote in an open letter: "We are worried both about the lack of more general consultation and the impact that these monster cabinets could have, both within and outside conservation areas, if they are simply installed wherever Openreach finds most convenient."

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/broadband/359209/bt-battles-with-brightons-broadband-nimbys

:sigh:
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

zappaDPJ

We've had the same problem here which is why I think the roll out of my exchange keeps getting put back.

I'd quite happily let BT place the cabinet in my front garden, it's a veritable work of art as far as far as my connection is concerned  ;D
zap
--------------------

Ray

They're welcome to come and put one near my home, unfortunately not very likely.  :(
Ray
--------------------

gizmo71

Love the way the stock image for the story is an OpenReach van and not one of the green cabinets in question! ::)
SimRacing.org.uk Director General | Team Shark Online Racing - on the podium since 1993
Up the Mariners!

Gary

Is there a picture of these cabinets any where, I doubt we shall see them in our village, I can see the fuss it will case  ::) conservation and stick in the mud parish counsellors make for stonewalling anything vaguely ugly, apart from purple rinses it seems  >:D
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Simon

I wonder if the people complaining would use fiber if the cabinet was elsewhere?  :whistle:
Simon.
--

Steve

I should think the people complaining take more than a reasonable amount of fibre on a daily basis. >:D
Steve
------------

Simon

Simon.
--

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Jul 06, 2010, 11:47:50
I should think the people complaining take more than a reasonable amount of fibre on a daily basis. >:D
:lol:

Ted

Quote from: Gary on Jul 06, 2010, 11:37:38
Is there a picture of these cabinets any where, I doubt we shall see them in our village, I can see the fuss it will case  ::) conservation and stick in the mud parish counsellors make for stonewalling anything vaguely ugly, apart from purple rinses it seems  >:D

There's one on this page.  http://www.objectbase.co.uk/basingstoke/chineham/fttc/
Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

cavillas

Can we have some down here in Walton on the Naze, Frinton will find them too offensive and not in keeping  >:D, but we don't care about things like that. ;D
------
Alf :)

Technical Ben

Dig up the roads and pull down those lamp posts!
We all need Wifi Max anyway. ;)
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

pctech

They can put one in my front garden if they like.

Gary

Not exactly huge really, must say they look fine and in a few weeks people would not even notice then I bet  ::)

pctech

I hear they make a bit of a racket though but then again they have to be cooled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CtgamzSGLE