50% Sync Rate Drop

Started by netgem21, Jul 13, 2010, 15:02:30

Previous topic - Next topic

netgem21

Hi!  ;D

Over the past few days, my internet speed has been slower than usual and today I checked the router stats and saw that I'm getting a sync rate of 3744kbps. I'm usually at 8128kbps. Upload sync rate is 100% normal at 448kbps.

I've spoken to IDNet support and I've rebooted the router, tested over ethernet and used the test socket. Additionally, the line is used exclusively for broadband on one socket, so there's no additional devices such as phones/Sky boxes.

They say that it's a problem with my router/microfilter, which I find hard to believe as speeds have been consistently high for years with few issues.

Hope you can help! I've attached a copy of my router's statistics incase that helps.

Thanks!  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Glenn

Filters do degrade, if you have another or can borrow one, swap it and give it a try.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lance

And its not uncommon for routers to fail after a year or so - try borrowing one to test that if a different filter doesn't help.
Lance
_____

MisterW

QuoteAdditionally, the line is used exclusively for broadband on one socket, so there's no additional devices such as phones/Sky boxes.
If there are no phones plugged in then you don't actually need a filter, although you will need something to convert from the RJ11 plug on the router cable to a BT plug to fit the BT socket. The filter only prevents the high frequency ADSL signals getting to the phone port, the ADSL port is just a pass-through connection. Routers have inbuilt filter circuitry to prevent the low frequency POTS ( phone ) signal from interfering with the ADSL.

netgem21

Quote from: MisterW on Jul 13, 2010, 20:00:56
If there are no phones plugged in then you don't actually need a filter, although you will need something to convert from the RJ11 plug on the router cable to a BT plug to fit the BT socket. The filter only prevents the high frequency ADSL signals getting to the phone port, the ADSL port is just a pass-through connection. Routers have inbuilt filter circuitry to prevent the low frequency POTS ( phone ) signal from interfering with the ADSL.

Do you think I might get better performance without the microfilter?

netgem21

By the way, do my router's statistics look alright? Additionally, here is a recent speed test. As you can see, compared to the speed test in my signature, my line is capable of very high speeds.

Steve

The router stats are not alright,you should be near a full sync with that downstream attenuation. I'm not sure what the margin is its probably high and there is a lot of 'noise' around
Steve
------------

Colin Burns

has the router been rebooted since the sync speed fell over

netgem21

Quote from: Colin Burns on Jul 14, 2010, 23:33:05
has the router been rebooted since the sync speed fell over

Yes, I've rebooted many times. What's the next step to resolve this issue?

Steve

Have you tried a different router and filter?
Steve
------------

netgem21

Quote from: Steve on Jul 15, 2010, 14:26:43
Have you tried a different router and filter?

I've just tried a different filter - same result. I don't own a second router.

Steve

Can you borrow one? Sometimes IDNet have a loan one around  I don't see any point buying a new one for it to make no difference but I'm fairly sure there is a fault somewhere and until you rule out the router a visit from BT could prove costly.
Steve
------------

mrapoc

I too have pretty good line stats and up until recently had full sync, now it has dropped to about 50% too

?

netgem21

Quote from: mrapoc on Jul 16, 2010, 00:11:07
I too have pretty good line stats and up until recently had full sync, now it has dropped to about 50% too

?

Interesting... so it may be IDNet's problem after all then?!  :fingers:

Steve

Unfortunately the only controller of sync rate for non LLU providers is BT.
Steve
------------

netgem21

Quote from: Steve on Jul 16, 2010, 17:00:27
Unfortunately the only controller of sync rate for non LLU providers is BT.

Should I talk to them? Can they inform me if there is a line/exchange fault?

Steve

BTW or Openreach will under the direction of your ISP check your phone line for broadband faults. If no fault is found using their equipment between the test socket and the exchange you will be charged a fee ( it used to be £170 but may be more) That's why it's essential to rule out any possible faults your side of the test socket. IDNet can see how your line is performing and they have given their opinion. I think to be fair to them if they thought there was a line fault they would have discussed a BT engineers visit with you.
Steve
------------

klipp

I had the same problem as you.  My sync went from 4000kbps to 2000kbps.  Support said it's line degradation and nothing can be done about it.  I still suffer frequent connection drops every day.  My internet is completely unstable and only runs at half the speed it used to.  I've given up caring now because it was so frustrating trying to get help and getting nowhere.

netgem21

Quote from: klipp on Jul 18, 2010, 19:39:02
I had the same problem as you.  My sync went from 4000kbps to 2000kbps.  Support said it's line degradation and nothing can be done about it.  I still suffer frequent connection drops every day.  My internet is completely unstable and only runs at half the speed it used to.  I've given up caring now because it was so frustrating trying to get help and getting nowhere.

I don't understand why nothing can be done about line degradation. I didn't degrade it, did I? - for the record, my situation has not been confirmed to be line degradation. Also, I don't see how it can be since the sync rate dropped from 8128 to 3000 in a matter of minutes, not over time. :laugh:

IDNet haven't been helpful with this. I've been told to 'sort it out myself' and basically not bother them about it as it's not their problem.

:no:

klipp

With an Attenuation of 29db I'd suggest your problem is not degradation.  For example mine has jumped to 59db!!!  Hence the cut in speed and frequent line drops.  Your stats are pretty decent (I'd love 29db and 2db noise!!!) you should be getting 8mb really.  Try pressing the hidden reset button on the back of the router so it does a full restart, and also power down the router for an hour to ensure your session to your exchange is fully terminated.

Niall

Quote from: netgem21 on Jul 18, 2010, 22:12:36
IDNet haven't been helpful with this. I've been told to 'sort it out myself' and basically not bother them about it as it's not their problem.

:no:

I'll be amazed if support actually said that. They're very helpful and if it's not a problem they can fix, ie it's at your end they'll tell you what to try to resolve it. If it comes back as a line fault they always report it to BT (in my experience, via my sisters once wonky line).
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Steve

I believe he was advised by support to swap the router and filter but unfortunately he can manage the second item but not the first. Hence the impasse.
Steve
------------

netgem21

Quote from: klipp on Jul 18, 2010, 22:33:23
With an Attenuation of 29db I'd suggest your problem is not degradation.  For example mine has jumped to 59db!!!  Hence the cut in speed and frequent line drops.  Your stats are pretty decent (I'd love 29db and 2db noise!!!) you should be getting 8mb really.  Try pressing the hidden reset button on the back of the router so it does a full restart, and also power down the router for an hour to ensure your session to your exchange is fully terminated.

Yeah, this time last week I was getting consistent speeds reflecting the speed test in my signature. This week? About 2meg. I've done loads of reboots, not tried a reset though. I'll also power the router down overnight - thanks for the advice! :D

netgem21

Quote from: Niall on Jul 18, 2010, 22:39:34
I'll be amazed if support actually said that. They're very helpful and if it's not a problem they can fix, ie it's at your end they'll tell you what to try to resolve it. If it comes back as a line fault they always report it to BT (in my experience, via my sisters once wonky line).

Quote from: Steve on Jul 18, 2010, 22:43:36
I believe he was advised by support to swap the router and filter but unfortunately he can manage the second item but not the first. Hence the impasse.

I had to make three separate calls, and I still haven't received a definitive answer. First call, I was told that there were no line faults and was instructed to reboot the router, and the call ended. Second call, I was told to reboot it again and try a different microfilter. Third call, I was basically told that it was a problem at their end and therefore they couldn't help me.

netgem21

OK, something strange has just happened. I think I might be in a loss of service situation. Just checked the IDNet service updates RSS feed and saw a 'BT Major Service Outage' - LEEDS ATM NODE 2 : PARTIAL LOSS OF SERVICE. I saw this item before, but disregarded it as I live about as far away from Leeds as you can imagine. However, I just had a quick look, and for some reason, my dialling code is in the list. Could this be why?