Use BT2700HGV as Modem only, and Netgear DG834G as DHCP & Firewall etc.

Started by Aaron, Jul 16, 2010, 17:08:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron

Is it possible for the BT2700HGV to be used as a modem only, and leave the rest of the router functions up to my old Netgear DG384Gv4 to handle? (DHCP, port forwarding, UPnP, firewall, wireless, you name it).

To tell the truth, the port forwarding and DHCP on the 2700 is pants, plus I wouldn't mind having UPnP for certain apps, hence wanting to see if this was possible.

I'd imagine the Netgear will need to pull the Internet IP from the BT2700HGV somehow for this to work.

INTERNET <-> BT2700HGV (syncs adsl & isp auth)
                            |
                            |
    Netgear DG834Gv4 (Firewall, UPnP, DHCP)
                 /           |                \
Wired Client    Wireless Client      Wireless Client

IDNet Home Pro ADSL2+ 4Mbps | Billion BiPAC 7800N

Steve

May be wrong but I don't think you can get a WAN input (RJ45) on the DG834 plus not heard of the 2700 in modem only mode but others to follow may have.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

MisterW

There is a way to make it act in a similar manner to a modem i.e pass the Public IP through to another router, at least there is on a V5 , we'll probably need Alan (kinmel) to confirm on a v6 as I don't have one.
Set it to 'bridge mode' , that is uncheck the 'Enable Routing' box on the Advanced -> Configure Services page.

The use of Public Routed SubInterface /Public Proxied subnet on the Advanced Network settings can also be used to pass the Public IP(s) through , although thats used when you have a block of static IPs.

BUT as Steve says you will need a WAN port on the 'router' and the DG834 don't have one...

kinmel

I have not tried that, but MisterW's options may work, else, if you turn off all the possible options and then on the 2700 set the other router's I.P. as being in the DMZ on this Page, it should pass everything  through unmolested.

Not sure you will get Upnp though.

Let us know what happens if you try it.

Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Zirynx

Hi all,

Apologies fro dredging up an older thread but, this scenario is virtually identical to the one that I'm currently trying to establish the feasibility of. I've spent much time over the last couple of days trying to 'split out' the ADSL Modem function from the remaining DHCP, routing & firewall rules, currently with two DG834Gs but with a view to being able to stuck some other ADSL modem (such as the 2-wire) in front of it.

AT the moment, I'm not getting very far with it all. I've started a thread over on the Netgear support forum but so far, no 'magic' answer.

So I thought I'd post the question here in case anyone has any further info about this, one way of the other.

Many thanks :-)

Rik

No apologies needed - hopefully, one of our experts will be along shortly with an answer.
Rik
--------------------

Steve

I'm not sure you can get a wan input on the DG834G,yes I know you can get it to work in modem only mode but as a pure router I think your stuck.
Steve
------------

pctech

Ports on the DG834 should work as a WAN port but don't know about the 2700.

MisterW

The ports on the 2700 are just switched , there is no routing between the ports. AFAIK the DG834 will be the same. In order to use a port as a WAN port you need the router to perform some routing between the WAN and LAN ports. I've seen routers where different firmware can turn one of the LAN ports into a WAN port.
Anyone know about the DGTeam firmware ?

pctech

Looks like the 834 allows you to configure static routes which might help perhaps as you can restrict these to LAN

Zirynx

I'm googling as fast as my fingers can type and reading as much as my brain can absorb and, I'm fast coming to the conclusion that this specific arrangement of equipment fundamentally isn't possible  :(

I've managed to get some static rules setup to prove a bit of theory but I can't see how I can apply this in reality as an 'answer' to the fact that there is no WAN ethernet port on the DG834G.

I'd like to be proved wrong but, right now, I can't see this working.

Thanks for you input :thumb:

lozcart

I think I've done what you are trying to do with my Belkin router and the 2700.

How I did it is in this thread, it may be of some help.

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,22494.0.html

Zirynx

Lozcart - thanks for your reply but, what you did was add the Belkin router as a wireless access point to the 2700, which still retained all the main routing duties.

What I'm looking to do would, in your scenario, be equivalent to relocating the firewall rules, DHCP server etc. from your 2700 and into the Belkin, leaving the 2700 as a pure modem, and nothing more, which is not what you did.

Thanks anyway.

lozcart

No problem Zirynx, I understand now what you are trying to do, unfortunately my networking skills were stretched setting up the Belkin as an access point so haven't any other ideas you could try, sorry.