Forum style

Started by drummer, Apr 01, 2007, 23:19:33

Previous topic - Next topic

drummer

Quote from: shone1977 on Apr 01, 2007, 20:08:27
I dont want to keep asking silly questions i know you have all said the is no port blocking or traffic shaping what about throttling at peak times only asking cos my current isp throttle at weekends when servers are busy.
No port throttling or packet shaping whatsoever with IDNet.  Does what it says on the tin, and does it extremely well.  On my first month I went a little bit mad because I didn't think it would last, but it did and continues to this day.  Schweet.  :laugh:

Something I'd like to see on this forum though is waffle throttling, so that people like you don't get put off by the inane jabbering that seems to accompany every sodding post.

IDNet is an excellent ISP and I have no hesitation in recommending them to anyone who asks.
To stay is death but to flee is life.

MoHux

ROFL!! Have a Karma on me.  :whip: :whip:
"It's better to say nothing and be thought an idiot - than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Inactive

Quote from: drummer on Apr 01, 2007, 23:19:33

Something I'd like to see on this forum though is waffle throttling, so that people like you don't get put off by the inane jabbering that seems to accompany every sodding post.

But the OP did get the answers to his/her questions, and he/she did come back to ask more, and got courteous and hopefully helpful replies, so the so called " waffle " didn't do any harm.

;)
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

cavillas

Without the waffle and slight deviation from the post, this forum would be boring and straight laced.  Let's keep it lively and happy. ;D ;D ;D
------
Alf :)

Inactive

Quote from: cavillas on Apr 02, 2007, 10:41:48
Without the waffle and slight deviation from the post, this forum would be boring and straight laced.  Let's keep it lively and happy. ;D ;D ;D

Agreed, it could get as bad as a day out in Walton - on - the - Naze.

Whoops, was that Off Topic?

:angel:
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Lance

As far as I am concerned, as long as the serious questions have been answered, may the fun begin!

Quote from: Inactive on Apr 02, 2007, 10:50:35

It couldn't get that bad, could it? :laugh:

edit for typo
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Forum style is always a tricky area. Some people like a strictly on-topic discussion, others prefer to engage in a bit of banter. My own view, which I held before joining the staff, is that with a small community like ours, banter is the glue which binds us. Providing serious questions get serious answers, I see no harm in it.

If we were, as a group of friends, sat around having a drink together, we'd swap jokes, natter about things which have caught our eye and indulge in banter. If someone walked in and asked for directions, we'd stop, give them our best advice, then carry on. If they came back, still lost, one of us might show them the way, or draw a map. It's what my Irish friends call the Craic.

If we grow significantly, things might need to change, but for now I am happy that the forum's particular style works for most people. Of course, not everyone will be happy with off topic wanderings, but it's impossible to have a single style that will suit everyone.
Rik
--------------------

cavillas

Quote from: Inactive on Apr 02, 2007, 10:50:35

Whoops, was that Off Topic?

:angel:

Tut, Tut.  A day out at Walton is an experience to remember. ;D
------
Alf :)

Lance

But not necessarily a good one!!! :laugh:
Lance
_____

Inactive

Quote from: cavillas on Apr 02, 2007, 12:37:28
Tut, Tut.  A day out at Walton is an experience to remember. ;D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Indeed it is...  :-X

drummer

Quote from: rikbean on Apr 02, 2007, 11:06:51
Forum style is always a tricky area. Some people like a strictly on-topic discussion, others prefer to engage in a bit of banter. My own view, which I held before joining the staff, is that with a small community like ours, banter is the glue which binds us. Providing serious questions get serious answers, I see no harm in it.

If we were, as a group of friends, sat around having a drink together, we'd swap jokes, natter about things which have caught our eye and indulge in banter. If someone walked in and asked for directions, we'd stop, give them our best advice, then carry on. If they came back, still lost, one of us might show them the way, or draw a map. It's what my Irish friends call the Craic.

If we grow significantly, things might need to change, but for now I am happy that the forum's particular style works for most people. Of course, not everyone will be happy with off topic wanderings, but it's impossible to have a single style that will suit everyone.
I don't disagree with much of what you say, but there are so many areas in this forum that naturally lend themselves to idle banter, some self-regulation on technical questions might not be such a bad thing.

Just go over this thread again and you'll notice that a private conversation had started by post #5 and the OP's secondary question was somewhere in the region of #17.  Then there appeared the usual jabbering about how casual this forum is and what a boring git I am.

All I've ever suggested is that this forum keeps the noise to a minimum in technical threads so that the issue is addressed without the need to plough through reams of irrelevent natter.

I'm always gonna be a pain in the rear and I don't court popularity, but as this is an "unofficial" forum, surely users should have some say in the way it evolves and be allowed to offer criticism without being marginalised?

And yes, I'm aware that I've dragged this thread completely off-topic... ;D

Inactive

Quote from: drummer on Apr 03, 2007, 04:56:56

I'm always gonna be a pain in the rear and I don't court popularity, but as this is an "unofficial" forum, surely users should have some say in the way it evolves and be allowed to offer criticism without being marginalised?

And yes, I'm aware that I've dragged this thread completely off-topic... ;D

Well, I don't recall you being " marginalised " you freely had your say, it seemed to be  out of sync with the overall view, that's all.

Nobody stopped anyone expressing their view.

I don't recall anyone calling you a " boring git " either.

Methinks you may be reading too much in to some posts.

drummer

I'm not the issue, the forum is.

Rik

Quote from: drummer on Apr 03, 2007, 04:56:56
Just go over this thread again and you'll notice that a private conversation had started by post #5 and the OP's secondary question was somewhere in the region of #17.  Then there appeared the usual jabbering about how casual this forum is and what a boring git I am.

I see no instances of anyone calling you any names, Drummer. Mo, in fact, awarded you a karma for your "waffle filter" remark.

QuoteI'm always gonna be a pain in the rear and I don't court popularity, but as this is an "unofficial" forum, surely users should have some say in the way it evolves and be allowed to offer criticism without being marginalised?

The majority of members have consistently indicated that they prefer the light, bantering, atmosphere that this forum adopts. Your comments are noted, not ignored, but for the time being you are in the minority. As I indicated, as we grow, things might need to change and we will always be reviewing the way things are handled.
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Quote from: drummer on Apr 03, 2007, 11:19:59
I'm not the issue, the forum is.

That is, of course your somewhat exclusive opinion. ::)

drummer

Interesting that no one responded to:

Just go over this thread again and you'll notice that a private conversation had started by post #5 and the OP's secondary question was somewhere in the region of #17.

Personally I couldn't give a monkey's about Karma (it did run over my dogma after all) but you've mentioned it so I'll run with it.  MoHux was kind enough to Karma my earlier comment which suddenly brought me up to -1.  Whoopee!  Then a few hours later I'm back down to -2.  It's all a bit silly really.

If you haven't fallen asleep by now, rikbean's thread "FAQs: ADSL Max, Speed profiles, Wiring improvements, tip & tricks etc" is possibly the most comprehensive and well-informed MaxDSL FAQ I've ever read.  Imagine what it would look like if it wasn't locked.

Seriously, give it a moment to sink in.

RobMc

I agree. Its a bit of a pain revisiting a technical thread, especially one you have an interest in, or have posed in just to find it's filled up with banter. I'm not saying that lightheartedness is a bad thing but it can reduce the majority of threads to a general chat rather then a discussion of the topic. Even the Natter forum seems to be getting filled with jokes and jibes at the government rather then a discussion forum.

I'm not pointing at anyone here, just thought I'd throw in my tuppence worth.

Rob.

Inactive

Erm, the heading for the Natter section reads;

-IDNatter-
Discuss everything and anything non-IDNet related. Chill-out, have some fun!

::) ::) ::)

MoHux

Inactive is right about the 'Natter' forum of course.

But I agree with the comments made by both RobMc, and drummer.
In most of the threads they complain of, the humour is very forced most of the time.  It reminds me of the '007' movies, and the recent attempts to achieve the apparent spontaneity (sp?) managed by Roger Moore!   ::)

A 'merry quip' is always welcome, but not followed by a procession of people all trying to 'cap' it!!   :(

Except in the Natter forum .......  ;D ;D
"It's better to say nothing and be thought an idiot - than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

drummer

So it's not just me then?  ;D

I seriously don't want to fall out with anyone here and I hope y'all realise that, just that some areas may need a bit of moderation. 

Not a big deal really but maybe something to think about.

Rik

I hear what you say, Drummer (and Mo & Rob).

As I've previously stated here, the majority of members have indicated that they prefer the forum to be a place in which banter and help co-exist. As we grow, and we have gained some 50 members in the past month compared to 400 in the first 11 months the board existed, there will probably come a time when we do need to keep threads on topic more than happens now. This is especially true as the balance of posting changes, with more threads in the help sections.

The situation is under constant review.
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Quote from: drummer on Apr 05, 2007, 03:00:59
So it's not just me then?  ;D

Nope, just the vocal minority..  ;D

Who are BTW guilty of taking this thread totally " Off Topic ".. which of course is doing exactly the same thing as the " banter " that they are moaning about. ::)

Perhaps a new topic may have been appropriate. ;)

Rik

And a new topic it now is. :)

In taking this action, I have borne in mind that the original thread effectively diverged into a new one, and I have created the new thread at the best point I could identify as to where the subject changed.
Rik
--------------------

RobMc

Quote from: rikbean on Apr 05, 2007, 08:20:32
As I've previously stated here, the majority of members have indicated that they prefer the forum to be a place in which banter and help co-exist.

I'm sorry Rik but what are you basing this on, has there been a poll that I missed somewhere?

I'm sorry that I'm seen as a part of a "vocal minority" but we should at least try to keep technical query threads on topic. I joined this forum over a year ago when it first started. I saw it as a place where information would be made available from IDNet and where there would be a discussion about Internet related topics. Personally I'm not into a lot of banter and try to stay clear of the IDNatter, Rant&Rave and "Games" forums except when then discuss technical issues of interest to me.

As for the original thread it had gone well off topic before the "off topic" nature of the thread was first discussed.

If this site wasn't "part of IDNet" (you can argue the point that it's unofficial and independent as much as you like)  I would have given up on it a long time ago.

Rob.

Rik

Hi Rob

To take your points in order:

1)  I'm basing my statement on views expressed by members at various times in various threads. There has been no formal poll.

2)  I don't see you as part of a vocal minority, or any other minority, you are a member of the forum with the same rights as any other. I may agree or disagree with what you say, but you have a right to say it (within forum rules).

3)  The original thread was, indeed, off topic. As I indicated, I made the break at a point where I felt it had become a new topic, namely the discussion of forum style (or character, or whatever name you feel appropriate). The earlier OT posts weren't relevant to this discussion, so I left them where they were.
Rik
--------------------