Boosting WIFI

Started by talos, Aug 23, 2010, 10:41:41

Previous topic - Next topic

talos

Does anybody know of a home network booster for a WiFi system.?
                           Mine was working fine until recently, the signal at the far end of the house was weak but usable, but someone appears to have fitted a system fairly close to us, and it appears to be swamping mine in fact broad-banding me, if that's possible.  Ive seen various repeaters for sale, but they seem quite expensive and complicated to set up.
                                        Any suggestions?? :)

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

I think Glenn's suggestion is the simplest and cheapest. Wireless repeaters or extenders unless you take the Apple AEBS / Time capsule route lose speed,security and increase latency.
Steve
------------

talos

Quote from: Glenn on Aug 23, 2010, 10:44:15
Bob, would these be of any use? http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopSearch.asp?CategoryID=336

Thanks Glen
                             But they would mean starting over with a new system, I already have a Belkin WiFi router, and just need to boost the power a bit.

talos

Quote from: Steve on Aug 23, 2010, 10:47:01
I think Glenn's suggestion is the simplest and cheapest. Wireless repeaters or extenders unless you take the Apple AEBS / Time capsule route lose speed,security and increase latency.

Speed is not so important, I only get 100 mbps now.

Steve

Not sure it's a different system it's just gives you an additional wireless access point networked to you Belkin. Things you can do with your current router is obviously try and move it to the middle of the house, if it's dual band N use the 2.5Ghz instead of the 5Ghz bands and try first off to pick a channel which doesn't compete with your neighbour .
Steve
------------

Glenn

It doesn't replace your router, just allows you to boost the signal. Plug one in to the router via a network cable, the other one in to the room/area you want the signal, then configure it.
Glenn
--------------------

talos

Quote from: Glenn on Aug 23, 2010, 11:03:58
It doesn't replace your router, just allows you to boost the signal. Plug one in to the router via a network cable, the other one in to the room/area you want the signal, then configure it.

But
QuoteA HomePlug Ethernet Adapter is then required to connect to an existing wired or wireless router from any vendor
A touch expensive.

Rik

You can use cable or a mains unit, Bob.
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

The setup would go something like this; Existing router > Homeplug via network cable > Wireless Homeplug via house wiring > laptop via wireless
Glenn
--------------------

talos

Quote from: Glenn on Aug 23, 2010, 11:23:59
The setup would go something like this; Existing router > Homeplug via network cable > Wireless Homeplug via house wiring > laptop via wireless
My existing router is wireless,  I suppose the easiest is to move the router nearer to the laptop, or visa versa, but I would need a longer network cable :sigh:
                          Is there a limit on how long a ethernet cable has to be?

Rik

100m in any one segment, Bob.
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

But if the router is wireless only, why would you need one?
Glenn
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Steve on Aug 23, 2010, 10:47:01

You don't need to go the AEBS route.  Try the much cheaper Airport Express which simply plugs into the mains.  Sit it near the HiFi and you can play internet radio through your system.   :)

Can't see how you would lose security by using an AEBS unless you mean it's only a NAT firewall rather than SPI.

talos

Quote from: Glenn on Aug 23, 2010, 11:56:31
But if the router is wireless only, why would you need one?

The desktop comp is connected by cable,  the laptop I use wirelessly

Quote from: Rik on Aug 23, 2010, 11:54:10
100m in any one segment, Bob.

That'll do, dont need anywhere near that much :thumb:

talos

Quote from: Tacitus on Aug 23, 2010, 12:42:41
You don't need to go the AEBS route.  Try the much cheaper Airport Express which simply plugs into the mains.  Sit it near the HiFi and you can play internet radio through your system.   :)

Can't see how you would lose security by using an AEBS unless you mean it's only a NAT firewall rather than SPI.

Problem with Airport Express is the price £81, from Apple store.

Steve

Quote from: Tacitus on Aug 23, 2010, 12:42:41

Re explanation: You can extend the wireless network without compromising on throughput using the Apple route and keep WAP security if you use a wireless distribution service I think it only operates at 'g' level and is only WEP secure.
Steve
------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Steve on Aug 23, 2010, 13:20:01
Re explanation: You can extend the wireless network without compromising on throughput using the Apple route and keep WAP security if you use a wireless distribution service I think it only operates at 'g' level and is only WEP secure.

AFAIK the current Airport Express uses 'n' and WAP; the base stations certainly do although they don't do SPI just NAT.  Unfortunately I can't check since my AExpress went belly up a while ago and I haven't bothered replacing it.

The one thing the AEB does do is connect to a USB drive, which, if your main router acts as a VPN endpoint makes a useful means of sharing files across multiple machines.  I know there are services such as DropBox, but each to their own.

Much as I'm an Apple fan, when I see what's currently available I'm not sure I would buy another AE basestation.