Excessive RX CRC errors?

Started by Inkblot, Sep 22, 2010, 11:40:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkblot

On one of our new circuits (New line, new router) I am seeing a lot of RX CRC errors being reported by the router:

Uptime: 22 hrs, 55 mins - errors: 53900

For comparison another circuit (Also IDNet, same router make/model)

Uptime: 24 hrs, 18 minutes - errors: 14

One major difference is that the circuit with the errors is a new circuit and still in the training period, support tell me that this is significant (And I believe them) but is it really *that* significant? We have had numerous drops on the erroring circuit and users are losing connection to applications running through it. I have another router I can install (Same make/model) but if it's a training issue will that make things worse by forcing a disconnection whilst I change them over?

If I change it over and there is no difference do I assume that it's just a training issue or and wait the 10 days to see if things improve or do this many errors indicate a faulty circuit?

Edit: After posting this I checked the error count again - 4200! And then 4500...4700...5100. It seems to be going up by approx 2000 a minute and I have to assume that at 99999 it resets back to 0  :eek4:

Rik

I think it's too early to say whether it's a faulty circuit, Inky, the training period may well mean that the line is running too fast to give stability and will drop in speed until it achieves it. A single outage shouldn't impact the training period if you want to change the routers.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Glenn

I get ten's of thousands a day myself, before I rebooted the router last time, to add a homeplug, it was past 12 million.
Glenn
--------------------

Glenn

I was looking at the wrong figures, I have 12177 crc errors in 13.5 days.
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Phew, your line's not total rubbish after all, Glenn. ;D
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Just rubbish rather than totally.  ;D
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------