Change DNS on V6

Started by Ted, Oct 11, 2010, 09:36:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

What's the procedure for changing DNS servers on the V6 firmware? Or does it have to be done with a reset.
Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

gingerjedi

Quote from: Ted on Oct 11, 2010, 09:36:22
What's the procedure for changing DNS servers on the V6 firmware? Or does it have to be done with a reset.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, apologies if you thought you had an answer.   :whistle:

I've got mine configured to openDNS but I'm thinking this may be affecting my ping so was looking to go for default ISP. When I try to change it I get a message that says PPP authentication failed or something??

MisterW

I don't have a V6 but IIRC the DNS settings are on the same page as the username/password. The problem is that it won't accept a NON-BT username on that page. I believe the trick is to give it a username that is acceptable e.g fred@btinternet.com so that it will accept the DNS changes , and then go back and put your correct IDNET username in via the HURL13 page fiddle.
Hope that helps.

kinmel

Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Ted

Thanks guys, i suspected that would be the case. I've tried the fred@ cludge, but I get an error telling me that the Primary DNS server is not a valid IP address  ??? I know for certain that it is.

Also tried it with a full factory reset, with the same results.

I'll have another go topmorrow, I've done enough reboots for today.
Ted

Lance

Assuming its only a couple of PCs you could just change it in Windows.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

gingerjedi

Quote from: Ted on Oct 11, 2010, 13:56:17
Thanks guys, i suspected that would be the case. I've tried the fred@ cludge, but I get an error telling me that the Primary DNS server is not a valid IP address  ??? I know for certain that it is.

Also tried it with a full factory reset, with the same results.

I'll have another go topmorrow, I've done enough reboots for today.

Are you changing to fred@btinternet.com and changing DNS entries at the same time? You need to submit the new username and then change the DNS entries.

I can confirm than Kinmel's method worked by following the links. :thumb:

Ted

Quote from: Lance on Oct 11, 2010, 14:13:23
Assuming its only a couple of PCs you could just change it in Windows.

That would probably work... If I used Windows.  ;D
Ted

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Ted

Quote from: gingerjedi on Oct 11, 2010, 17:49:14
Are you changing to fred@btinternet.com and changing DNS entries at the same time? You need to submit the new username and then change the DNS entries.

I can confirm than Kinmel's method worked by following the links. :thumb:

Yes I did change them at the same time, but I think I tried it your way as well, TBH I can't remember now. Your method does seem logical when you think about it.

So it would be...

Change to fred@btinternet.com and save.
Change DNS servers and save.
Change user\pass to "me" using http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=HURL13

Yes?

Ted

kinmel

You can change to the temporary username and alter DNS entries at the same time, I have just retested that without any problem
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

gingerjedi

Quote from: Ted on Oct 11, 2010, 18:12:55
Yes I did change them at the same time, but I think I tried it your way as well, TBH I can't remember now. Your method does seem logical when you think about it.

So it would be...

Change to fred@btinternet.com and save.
Change DNS servers and save.
Change user\pass to "me" using http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=HURL13

Yes?

Thats how I did it, you must use a domain BT are going to recognise.

Worked first time for me.

Lance

Quote from: Ted on Oct 11, 2010, 17:51:42
That would probably work... If I used Windows.  ;D

I knew when I posted that reply was coming!
Lance
_____

Ted

Just managed to successfully change the DNS servers, and did it again with different servers to make sure.  :thumb:

Seems a bit hit and miss as to whether the router picks up the IDNet connection automatically or not. First time it went green after a couple of minutes, second time I had to power cycle it after about five minutes, came back up green though.

Thanks
Ted

Rik

Thanks for that, Ted.  :thumb:
Rik
--------------------

g7pkf

wonder if this will allow set up of multiple ip routing?

will give it a try when i get 5

as per this thread

thread