DNS/Sync problem

Started by Pez, Oct 27, 2010, 20:03:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Pez

I've got an issue with my connection, my Windows diagnosis is a DNS problem. Anything been reported? Is there any tests I can do? I'm in Eastbourne, South-East England. Currently posting via my phone.

pctech

Steve

Below are OpenDNS server addresses

Have you got an exchange adsl sync showing on the router?
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Pez

I'm using a Zyxel 660HW-T1 and currently the ADSL LED is on for 3 seconds and then flicker then back on for 3 and there's an Internet LED which is constantly off.

Glenn

If you have another router, try it.
Glenn
--------------------

Glenn

I can't find any service reports relating to Eastbourne
Glenn
--------------------

Steve

I couldn't find any service out for Eastbourne either presumably if the adsl light is  flashing you don't have a sync?
Steve
------------

Pez

Unfortunately I don't have a spare router. Is anyone able to move these posts to a separate thread? I've changed my DNS to OpenDNS and the problem persists so I'm going to assume its a local issue. This has happened before during evening hours and it just seemed to have fixed its self by the next morning.

Glenn

If the line is trying to resync continually, I would turn off the router.
Glenn
--------------------

Steve

Sorry I can't get the router manual from Zyxel for some reason, but I seem to recall it has an in built diagnostic to check the router exchange link
Steve
------------

Bill

Anything of interest in the router log?
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Steve

Steve
------------

Pez

I'm unsure as to what the log is supposed to look like but mine atm is:

ppp:LCP Starting
board 0 line 0 channel 0, call 44, C02 Call Terminated
board 0 line 0 channel 0, call 45, C01 Outgoing Call dev=5 ch=0
Packet Trigger: Protocol=1, Data=Packet Trigger: Protocol=1, Dat
board 0 line 0 channel 0, call 45, C02 OutCall Connected 512000
And repeat ... (wow that took a while to type on a phone :-p )

Steve: With regards to Zyxel exchange test all I see is an ATM Loopback Test, which fails.

Bill

I'm guessing (not familiar with ZyXels) that the actual block that's repeating is:

board 0 line 0 channel 0, call 45, C01 Outgoing Call dev=5 ch=0
Packet Trigger: Protocol=1, Data=Packet Trigger: Protocol=1, Dat
board 0 line 0 channel 0, call 45, C02 OutCall Connected 512000
ppp:LCP Starting
board 0 line 0 channel 0, call 44, C02 Call Terminated

ie it's syncing (the 512000?), the LCP fails to connect after that and trying again.

I had a Linksys do that to me, (software crash I assume). I was away for the weekend and it kept it up for three days... played hell with my SNR margin and IP profile. Rebooting the router cleared it for me.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Pez

I've tried a the usual reboots and reset the ADSL line but doesn't fix anything. ill try leaving off for a length of time. Is it just a case of old router dying?

Bill

The router could be dying of course, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

That ATM Loopback failure must be a clue somehow... is the voice side OK?
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Steve

The last time we had this it was a line fault possibly due to water ingress

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=12594.msg292815#msg292815
Steve
------------

Bill

I was wondering about a line break or HR connection somewhere- a break within the insulation will kill the voice side dead, but often allow an ADSL signal to (sort of) get through.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Pez

I've got an answer for you, but I feel embaressed to have considered an fault with IDNet :slap: :blush: :slap: :blush: :slap: :blush:

It turns out that BT cut us off last night. We're due to move home very soon and we were supposed to have moved yesterday but now it's been put back a month, so a week ago BT was told that we were no longer moving at the previous date, but unfortunately they couldn't schedule a change over that far in advance and that we would have to ring closer the time. We were assure that nothing would occur yesterday and that it had been sorted.

Having thought it sorted and the previous move date being pushed to the back of my mind I hadn't even considered that that's what had happened. So phoned BT this morning and found all this out. And they were VERY sorry (of course as they always are) and that the person last week should not have told us that everything had been cancelled because it would have bene to late by then and would be in the system. So now they're saying that it could take up to 3 days to get reconnected and then up to another 5 days to get our original phone number back because by now it's being processed to put back in to the pool.

The thing that's most annoying is that the people on the end of the phone just don't seem to care and that they're all "very sorry" but there's nothing they can do to speed the process up and not a single mention of some kind of compensation. And that despite getting the persons name on the phone there was no way that I could re-speak to that person, as there's only this single free-phone number and no direct numbers.

VERY annoyed and the horrible thing is, you've got no choice but to just go along with it. Asking if I want to confirm that I want to be reconnected, etc. complete piss take, of course I want to be reconnected!!

Steve

Steve
------------

Rik

Though you'll probably find it takes another 5 days to get broadband re-connected and they may want to charge for it. :(
Rik
--------------------

pctech

My advice, go with IDNet home phone

Rik

Rik
--------------------