Everyone with a thinkbroadband monitor -ptII

Started by psp83, Oct 27, 2010, 19:46:01

Previous topic - Next topic

psp83

Thanks everyone, I've not forgotten about it just abit busy getting other things sorted out (the house).

Is everyone still getting packet loss?

Edit:

Note, partI of this thread can be found here.

zappaDPJ

Looking at my tbb stats I can't say I'm getting much at all. There's usually a minimal amount occurring just after midnight but that's about it :fingers:
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Bill

Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

cs

Here Mon-Fri (in reverse order) on my FTTC connection:

Chris

Steve

If you copy and paste the "small graph" we should get the images.
Steve
------------

esh

No packet loss at all here for several days.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

psp83

I had a bit last night (around 5%) for a few hrs.

But tonight is nearly clear.

.Griff.

I get a small amount of PL all day every day.. Not enough to affect anything that I've noticed.

dlorde

Rik

That link doesn't appear to be working, even entered directly, it produces a 'page not found' error.
Rik
--------------------

esh

Here is last night, just so you have an idea of what I see in general: not too bad, but present.

CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Rik

Do you have anything for earlier in the day, esh, eg from 8am or so?
Rik
--------------------

esh

Yes, I do. I have it saving the sample charts every 4 hours into an archive so I can pick out any particular section I fancy. I won't post it however, because it is spotless. No packet loss at all. I guess even tiny exchanges like mine are stuffed up now.

Rik

Sounds like it, that's why I was curious about the early slots.
Rik
--------------------

.Griff.

QuoteCan everyone with a thinkbroadband monitor add atleast the last 5 days of your charts in this post please.

I want to take a look at the packet loss on your lines & if it proves to be a common thing across all lines I will then contact IDnet and ask for them to take alook.

Did you contact IDNet Paul and if so what did they say?

psp83

Quote from: .Griff. on Dec 02, 2010, 11:38:41
Did you contact IDNet Paul and if so what did they say?

I sent an email to IDnet today pointing them to part 1 of this thread and also links to new charts for my line as packet loss has been pretty bad over the last few weeks.

Here's last 3 days off my line:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/c5b724cee87b5c7d1782640ed6f29510-02-12-2010.html
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/a7754708aee0872a386a58f385d60bdb-01-12-2010.html
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/946455958f9e65ca90fb2883ccab97a3-30-11-2010.html

Its been bad for playing xbox online  :(

psp83

Its been a nightmare tonight trying to catch up with gadget show webtv's, non stop buffering due to the packet loss!

Lance

I imagine the web has been under a fair bit of strain today with the number of schools shut and people likely to be working from home.
Lance
_____

sof2er

I;'ve been having a lot of packet loss these few weeks as well, kinda getting hard to play a FPS with 5-10% packet loss :/

Gary

I think people forget the sheer amount of traffic the web has to deal with these days, more and more gamers, especially during times when kids and adults are stuck at home, I imagine packet loss will always be a factor. Everyone is so hung up on statistics (no offence people), but the infrastructure that carries this technology is open to a lot of negatives, water, cold interference, aluminium still in some areas, natural degradation, and BT's inability in areas to deal with all that and the sheer cost involved. Things will get slowly worse as lines degrade, as traffic increases, and there is not unlimited bandwidth, BT have been struggling to keep up with that issue.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

DorsetBoy

There are also a lot of folk working from home via the net because of the roads/snow/ice.

Gary

Quote from: DorsetBoy on Dec 03, 2010, 07:03:07
There are also a lot of folk working from home via the net because of the roads/snow/ice.
Thats true Dorset

.Griff.

Snow, ice, people working from home, kids off school.. Fair enough..

Doesn't play a factor in the packet loss some people have experienced for weeks and months.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: .Griff. on Dec 03, 2010, 14:25:40
Snow, ice, people working from home, kids off school.. Fair enough..

Doesn't play a factor in the packet loss some people have experienced for weeks and months.

Degradation of the internet as a whole does with more and more people using it for intensive tasks like gaming. You should see the packet loss my neighbour had when he fell over in the snow with his shopping.  ;)