Is telnet locked on DGN2200 router?

Started by davej99, Nov 09, 2010, 13:03:28

Previous topic - Next topic

davej99

Have had no success telnetting this router. Seems to be locked. Can anyone confirm it is working or it is locked? Thx, Dave.

Rik

Sorry, Dave, I can't, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly...
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

I've not seen anything else,although telnet enabler refers to another router, probably worth a try.
Steve
------------

Lance

I've got the 2200 as well and not had any luick with telnet yet either. Not put much effort into it yet though.
Lance
_____

davej99

Quote from: DorsetBoy on Nov 09, 2010, 13:12:20
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=55260  ?
Thanks, Dorset and others.

Have had a look at telnetEnable. It looks promising. I guess there are good security reasons for locking out telnet, so I am trying to find out how to relock, other than a factory reset. Meantime we might hear from someone who has tried it, or is braver than me to try it first. Am reluctant to brick my shiny new 2200. What gets me is we have had years of a very servicable DG834g v1-4 and telnet functionality and now Netgear have to go and fix what is not broke.

davej99

I was wondering if any DGN2200 users has been successful telnetting this router, which I believe is locked?

Otherwise, this has been a good router for me on our 19th century rural ADSL. With a 35dB down attenuation and 7dB noise margin, it is rock steady on a max sync/profile, even through the thunderstorm and blizzard we have here in Perthshire today. Tayside emergency service phones are down but my router has not blinked with the margin flat lining at 6.5dB. Seems to be doing better on sync than the DG834G v3 and v5 I have tried. No loss of sync for weeks, except to step up of its own accord to the maximum 8128. The N-wireless is working well enough over 20m distant and two floors, giving around 80Mbps. The USB drive port seems handy as extra network storage. Obviously I am not stretching the router much, on ADSL2+, or on a long line or over N-wireless. But so far it seems adequate.

If anyone could help with the telnet that would be great.

Dave

Lance

I'm off work tomorrow so I'll try and have a play.
Lance
_____

davej99

Quote from: Lance on Nov 28, 2010, 23:41:20
I'm off work tomorrow so I'll try and have a play.
Lance you are a star! I am too cowardly to try the unlock in case it trashes the router. How to relock I don't know; maybe be a factory reset?

To get basic stats I had to use DG834G v5 (Conexant) http://192.168.0.1/RST_stattbl.htm. Certainly http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=ppp_debug does not work. DG834N has 6358 chip, but DGN2200 has 6358SP. The last time I came across the SP suffix it was on a Virgin branded router. Sky versions were also locked I think.

Thats all I know at present, Dave.

Lance

Sucess!

To start with, download the attached file which I understand is a Netgear Developers tool. Then from a command prompt make sure that you're in the right directory to be able to run the file and type the following:

telnetenable.exe 192.168.0.1 00AA11BB22CC Gearguy Geardog

telnet 192.168.0.1

For clarity, this is the program name <space> your routers IP address <space> the routers MAC address (lan side) with colons removed <space> the default netgear telnet console username <space> the default netgear telnet console password <return>

The routers mac address can be found under the 'Router Status' menu option on the right hand side, then looking under 'Lan Port' rather than 'Internet Port'.

I tried a few comands such as ifconfig, adsl info and 'adslctl info --Bits' (which gives the bit loading and is case sensitive) and these all worked fine.

It seems to relock telnet, all you need to do is reboot the router via the web interface (reboot via telnet probably works as well).

Lance
_____

davej99

Thanks Lance. That was above and beyond the call of duty. :karma:
A little batch file, the first for about 20 years, and I am into telnet as and when needed. :yeay:

More or less got John Owens Routerstats working. Can get sync and margin from http://192.168.0.1/RST_stattbl.htm and both plot OK. Telnet  gives everything else graphically except sync. I can see sync in terminal but it won't plot. Bits/tone, swaps, SNR & Margin all good.

Broadcom command sets (adslctl info --stats)  & (adsl info --stats) both work, but, (/usr/sbin/adslctl info --stats) does not. Do not know what this means or what the difference is. Anyway that is good enough for now. I am well beyond my capabilities in this area. Need to mug up on telnet.
Once again, Lance, thank you very much indeed. I owe you one. :hat:

Dave.

Obikankenwalker

Hey, i found this fix while Googling the net, is there any way to find your mac address?

I am using a VPN through hamachi(not the network i am using, but any attempts at getting a mac address and this one also comes up, unbranded as the hamachi network), and i really want to get telnet working, every-time i try to run the cmd commands mentioned above, it fails.

Please help.

I will provide any necessary details as requested.

Rik

Hi and welcome to the forum. :welc: :karma:

Is it the mac address of the computer or the router you want to obtain?
Rik
--------------------

Ray

Ray
--------------------

Obikankenwalker

Quote from: Rik on Jun 01, 2011, 15:50:35
Hi and welcome to the forum. :welc: :karma:

Is it the mac address of the computer or the router you want to obtain?
Thanks

I would like to find the Router Mac address to use with the batch file which was attached.
Also am i using the internal router IP, or the external for this batch file?

Rik

Pass, but someone who knows will be along shortly. :)
Rik
--------------------

Steve

See reply # 9 unless I missunderstood the question
Steve
------------

cavillas

Quote from: Obikankenwalker on Jun 09, 2011, 23:26:07
Thanks

I would like to find the Router Mac address to use with the batch file which was attached.
Also am i using the internal router IP, or the external for this batch file?
If you go into router stats then the MAC address for the router is on that page.  http:\\192.168.0.1 user=admin password=pasword or admin then go down the left to router stats.
------
Alf :)

arobertson676

Guys,

I have followed the steps and I could access the router via telnet for about half an hour, then suddenly, it would connect but then I would get a blank display. I have reset the router, restored to factory settings and redone the procedure. Any ideas?

Below is what a window looks like:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Simon

:welc: :karma:

Sorry, I can't help with this, but I'm sure someone who can will be along soon.
Simon.
--

Steve

:welc5: :karma:

Not much help either earlier in the thread there's a suggestion that a router reboot is sometimes required
Steve
------------

arobertson676

Tried that. To be honest, I might just take it back and get a 2000. I can get one in a bundle from Currys.

Steve

Sorry I should have read your OP properly,you may get more info if Lance is around.
Steve
------------

Lance

I'm afraid its not something I've come accross before, or know how to resolve. Sorry.
Lance
_____

Ray

Ray
--------------------