Gmail/Youtube

Started by jezuk1, Nov 19, 2010, 12:22:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

I don't use twitter but  went to have a look and sure enough, just text format. Flushed FF cache and it came up perfect. It's very quick and I can navigate around the site no problem, not that I have any idea what I'm doing.  ;D
Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Rik

Me neither, Ted, it's one of those inventions I have yet to find a use for. :)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

I follow stephen Fry and Dara Ó Briain, its great to see how certain people think and deal with day to day events, little pearls of wisdom from some, and some humour from others.  :)
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Simon_idnet

Google have responded at last, to say that the problem should now be resolved and asking us to confirm. I've asked if they can let us know what caused the issue.

zappaDPJ

Thanks Simon, the problem does indeed seem to be resolved. My teenage daughter will be happy and life will be all good again  :)x
zap
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Gary

I'm still using Norton DNS, and still wasting my bandwidth on old music videos, ahh the memories I have shattered revisiting a great song form twenty years back.

Rik

Sometimes they are best left there. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Nov 23, 2010, 10:13:52
Sometimes they are best left there. ;)
I so agree, Rik.  ;D

Simon_idnet

Just had the following from Google: "It turned out to be misconfiguration issue on one of our servers and unfortunately you were pointed to use the faulty one."

Rik

Wasn't that nice of them, Simon. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Simon_idnet on Nov 23, 2010, 10:37:08
Just had the following from Google: "It turned out to be misconfiguration issue on one of our servers and unfortunately you were pointed to use the faulty one."
Cheers Simon  :thumb:

Simon

Simon.
--

Rik

I think IDNet must be feeling paranoid by now.  :shake:
Rik
--------------------

Ted

Quote from: Rik on Nov 23, 2010, 11:33:43
I think IDNet must be feeling paranoid by now.  :shake:

It's only paranoia when someone isn't out to get you!  :eyebrow:
Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Technical Ben

Quote from: Gary on Nov 23, 2010, 10:09:47
I'm still using Norton DNS, and still wasting my bandwidth on old music videos, ahh the memories I have shattered revisiting a great song form twenty years back.

I can now officially say I remember songs from 20 years back. Although this one, must have been on the second release for me to remember it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EXxMlIExpo
Does not shatter my memories, but then I only like it for the artistic music video.  :laugh:

Oh, and thanks for the update too. Good to see it's not IDNets systems. Just in the wrong place at the wrong time. The google youtube server closes/assigned to them was the one to fail. Bit like when someone else breaks down in front of you in the road then.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

zappaDPJ

For its time that was an outstanding video.
zap
--------------------

Technical Ben

Not like now where they may just press "sketch" in photoshop. They had to do it all by hand then.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

pctech

Sounds like this problem has been particular to IDNet's peering session with Google as was not affected at all.

Simon_idnet

We peer with Google at both Lonap and Linx. We tried turning-off the peering over Lonap to force all traffic via Linx but that made no difference.

The problem was that we were getting occasional timeouts from a machine called s.ytimg.com which hosts lots of Youtube images (thumbnails etc). When those images are not served then pages hang.

Google give their DNS a Time To Live of 300 seconds so we have to go and ask them for new DNS data every 5 minutes. That's not a problem in itself but they were giving us different IP addresses for s.ytimg.com every 5 mins and some of those IP addresses worked but some did not. Mostly, their DNS resolves s.ytimg.com to an address in the range 173.194.5.0/24. We found that addresses above 173.194.5.110 and below 173.194.5.100 were OK but they were preferring to send us to addresses in the range 173.194.5.101 to 173.194.5.110 - which were broken.

Yesterday, they stopped announcing that range of addresses. I see that they are announcing them again today but that they are all now working again.

pctech

Glad its sorted and thanks for the explanations.

Simon

Indeed, thanks for the update, Simon.  :thumb:
Simon.
--

Lance

That explanation was really useful, thanks Simon.
Lance
_____

Rik

First BT, now Google. Are you beginning to feel paranoid, Simon. ;)
Rik
--------------------

pctech

Bet he will if Google starts offering Internet access.