Dropping Internet Connection

Started by Monk, Nov 26, 2010, 19:14:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Monk

Hi everyone! Hope someone here can help with my problem.
Over the past few months I have had problems with my internet connection. Sometimes I cannot connect at all and have to wait for a couple of hours before the service can be resumed. i did think that it might be the recent BT upgrades affecting the line or something like that and decided to be patient... but it now happens several times a week.
Recently I rang the support only to be told that I WAS connected. How was this possible is beyond me since the icon clearly shown 'No access to internet'. I was switching the router on and off trying to diagonose problems. Eventually I managed to get a message:
Another computer on this network has the same IP address as this computer. Contact your network administrator to resolve the issue. More details are available in the windows system log.
I tried to connect again but was unsuccessful before getting a brief message:
Currently connected to unidentified network. Windows has detected an IP address conflict.
I
IDNET tell me that I must have something else connected to my Home network- I have NOT and when the connection is down I cannot get the network map to open, even though the support told me I was connected at the time of speaking to them. The router ( Netgear DG 8343V) is password protected at all times too.
Today I tried to connect at lunchtime and couldn't. I would run some Windows diagnostics and the problem would be resolved for a second or two before going down again. I am using McAfee so decided to have a look at my 'incoming traffic'. It looks like I'm being bombardred with messages such as' a computer at xxx has attempte unsolicited connection to port xxxx on your computer. Some of the messages have additional info:

bnw.net
deploy aka maitechnologies.com
OCSP.NYC3.VERISIGN.COM
Otherwise there are Source IP addresses that I know nothing about, really.
Any idea what could be causing the problem?

Steve

Two things spring to mind , your wireless connection is been used by someone else or malware .
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Never switch a router on and off repeatedly, it won't solve anything and will likely cause you a low profile.

When you say you can't connect, what's happening, is the router not synchronising, or are you not getting a PPP session? Support can only see what the BT system tells them. Make your router pingable, and see what they can then see (obviously you need to call them to do that).

Are you connecting wirelessly?

The McAfee messages (not my first choice in 'net security) is only telling you that people are testing your IP address to see if they can get into your computer, those messages are normal.

What is connected to your phone line, and where is the router plugged in?
Rik
--------------------

Monk

This did cross my mind but subsequent virus/malware checks have found nothing...  ???

Rik

Using what apps to scan with?
Rik
--------------------

Monk

Thanks Rick. I have to say I am not a computer savvy so can only answer in simple terms and... to simple questions :laugh:

I have a wireless which is plugged in together with the phone. I use an old fashioned socket so no test socket. The messages I get very from day to day.
*The default gateway is not available ( no homepage displayed)
*The default gateway is available but no traffic is being received from the ISP ( or something to that effect)
*There might be a problem with wireless adaptor or access point
*Windows cannot detect any problems ( yet no home page displayed and no connection)
*Currently connected to unidentified network

I must stress that it doesn't happen every day. It's usually at weekends or during daytime- it feels almost like I'm competing with someone to get a connection! My download stats seem to be getting higher every month too.

davej99

I take it your router is a DG834Gv3 if it wireless. Your router probably is connected to IDNET, but you are having problems connecting through your router. It might be usefull to know the history of your router and how it was set up for IDNET. There are a few other questions to think about.

Is wireless encryption switched on? Can you access your router's set up by logging on to http://192.168.0.1? If so, you can check encryption on the Wireless Settings page - it should be on. There is also a page called Attached Devices. That should tell you what is connected to the router and with what IP address. You only want one computer & MAC Code - at all times - your computer - probably on 192.168.0.2.

I saw a similar problem when connected with both a wired and a wireless connection. This can look like two connection and cause problems. A similar thing can happen if you connect by wireless, then plug in a cable, then turn off wireless or vice versa. If you have never used cable then this does not arise.

Finally there is a Network Setup Wizard than can be run on the PC to take you through the network configuration process and there are Network Connection settings on your computer to look at.

Hope this is of some help.

esh

Hi there. As some background to this problem, and in aid of trying to solve it, I will describe the issue simply below.

Network traffic going through routers has a source and a destination. For protocols used on the internet (TCP/IP usually) these are specified by a so-called IP address which is a number like you've seen before (an xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx specifier). In your case, what it is stating is that there is another system with the same source/destination IP address as your system. This means there is an ambiguity to the router, it does not know which to send the data to. Usually it will pick whichever announced most recently, leading to periods where everything is okay, and then periods where you can do nothing at all. You are still connected; it is just that the router is sending all data to the other system with the same IP (so it only *appears* you are not connected).

I think the most important thing to immediately identify is the following:
a) What is your router IP address? That is, how do you log on to the router?

b) What is *your* network configuration? You can look at this by doing an "ipconfig/all" at a Windows command prompt. You will want the ethernet adapter output if you are on a wired connection, and the wireless adapter output if you are on wireless. You can safely ignore any output regarding loopback or teredo tunnels. Do you know if DHCP is on? This output should mention it, if you don't know.

You may safely ignore all the security warnings regarding incoming connections. This is standard fare on the internet. These packages seem to only serve to make the uninformed paranoid.

You may wish to try resetting the router to factory defaults, and then using a wired connection, set up the password, settings, and wireless again. Refer to the router manual for these instructions.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Rik

Certainly, as a first step, I'd recommend using a cable and seeing if the problem stops. If it does, then it's simply a wireless issue and we can focus in on solving that.
Rik
--------------------

Monk

Thank you to all of you for the suggestions. It is a lot to take in for someone who does'nt even understand the basic terminology. I have looked at some of the settings and can answer this
*only my computer with MAC stated is attached
*WPA-PSK is ticked/selected
*Security Options - if it's the network key-it is the one that I recognise.

As for the rest, I have to look at it slowly and locate certain areas before I can give more answers. Once I've done that, I'd probably be back with more questions... or pay someone to come and sort it out for me ;)
It's reassuring to know that the incoming traffic is nothing to worry about. Thank you to Rik ( will try the thing with the cable), davej99 and esh for taking the time to respond to this post.

Rik

The cable is the quick and easy way, Monk. If the problems stop, we can focus on what's happening to your wireless - which could be at either end of the chain, ie computer or router, or could be an issue with local interference from another router.
Rik
--------------------

davej99

Before you spend money.

Questions:
What operating system are you using, XP, Vista, WIndows 7, Mac?
How far is your PC away from your router?
Are there thick walls?

What next:
Ensure you test wireless connection with your PC right next to your router.
If the problem persists try a cable connection.
As I mentioned before, you want to avoid a double connection - wired and wireless.
Best way is to switch off wireless connection on your PC.
If you have a wireless connection icon in your system tray, right click should offer a disable option.
Otherwise you need to find network connections in you operating system
In Vista, say, this can be found Control Panel/Network and Sharing centre/Manage Network Connections
Right click wireless connection should offer disconnect. (Remember how you did this so it can be turned back on).
Then connect your cable and you should see the connection made in Manage Network Connections
An extra green light should appear on the router
If that is all OK then test internet connectivity.

Lets know how you get on.

Monk

Sorry fo not getting back sooner...but the thing has been working fine until today so couldn't really check. The connection has been coming on and off today . A bit strange as sometimes I was connected fine while my daughter, at the same time,  was not and vice versa. I did the cable connection and after a short while was connected-could not leave my laptop there fot too long this time so might need to do more tests to be sure that the wired connection is always happening.
Now (to answer earlier questions) the router is positioned on our outside wall in the hall so nowhere near the wall shared with a neighbour. I am using Windows 7 64bit and Netgear DG834G v3- was told both compatible with each other. When I cannot connect wirelessly, I often get a message -problem with wireless adapter or access point. What was interesting this time, Windows were able to fix that once I was wired. Does this indicate the problem with the router or the adapter on my laptop? Myself and my daughter are using Toshiba realtek rtl8191se adapter and it looks like it is getting lots of bad press if you search the net. Another question I would like to ask is whether my router has the latest updates-how do one check this and if there are any to be had, will I have to just downloaded or start the whole set up again ( not sure if I can cope with that)?. That failed, can someone recommend a good/reliable router for my system  that isn't too difficult to set up- I am bearing in mind that I might not need it as I guess i still need to carry out some more tests once once the  connection drops again. Your thoughs and opinion will, as always, be very much appreciated.

Rik

There's been a few problems with Win 7 and network connections, so that's one possible cause, Monk.

If the wired connection is working, and a prolonged test would help (an ethernet lead can be up to 100m in length so you needn't sit a couple of metres from the router), then problems on two separate machines would suggest a router issue (though check for driver updates for the network adaptor). The latest Netgear firmware is at: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/269/~/dg834v3%2Fdg834gv3-firmware-version-4.03.04na,-4.01.06uk,-4.01.04ww.

Download the image, the copy to the router making sure you use IE and a wired connection. From memory, but it's been a while now, your personal data is retained during the update, or you can (maybe should) save your settings first.

There's no simple answer as to what's a  good router, matching it to the line is much more important these days, but Netgear, Speedtouch, 2-Wire and Billion seem to be doing well at the moment. Draytek are good, but more complex and expensive.
Rik
--------------------

Monk

Thank you Rik. Will be in touch.

davej99

We got so fed up with an erratic G-wireless connection with our old DG834v3 a few years ago, we invested in a pair of high speed 200mbps Homeplugs, which effectively gives a wired ethernet connection. For more than one location this kind of product is worth considering. Alternatively, if you could borrow a pair to try for a while, it might help show where the problem lies. There are also cheaper 85mbps homeplugs. Although we have recently upgraded our router to the DGN2200, which has much better N-wireless and is very easy to use, we still use by now 4 homeplugs. We find them handy for visitors, who can just plug in, and for iPlayer on the TV and our house PC's. Frankly we find wireless encryption such a pain, especially with older PC's, which seem to dislike later encryption methods. However, we have found sometimes in our bird's nest wiring, a mains socket does not work with the home plug, and the homeplug has to be moved to another socket. But, Rik's notion of a long cable is in my opinion the best idea because it is both robust and cheap, as well as handy to have as a spare. See here.

DorsetBoy

I got a long, good quality cable at Maplin 5 years ago and ran that alongside the heating system pipe run to my boy's room upstairs, we have another one around the lounge to his Xbox360, never have any issues and they are cheap to replace if needed and saves so much grief with wirelss.

Rik

I like Amazon's concept of frustration free packaging - they have obviously picked up on customer feedback. :)
Rik
--------------------

DorsetBoy

Quote from: Rik on Dec 05, 2010, 12:56:11
I like Amazon's concept of frustration free packaging - they have obviously picked up on customer feedback. :)

That packaging is recycling friendly and easy to put back into stock too.

Rik

All of that, Dorset, and you're less likely to amputate a finger opening it.
Rik
--------------------

Monk

These do sound good. Will have a think about it but I do like the cable idea. We have notice that once you get closer to the router, it is easier to connect. This again is giving me mixed messages. Is it the router or is it the adaptors on our laptops (but both??). It will take a while to sort out as I have to get the cable now. I assume I would have to disable wireless connections though. Is this correct?

Thank you very much for all the suggestions and honest opinions.

Rik

The wired connection will normally take precedence, Monk, but turning off the wireless signal at the router will do no harm and will give you more security. Discovering whether it's router or adaptor playing up is tricky, the only way is to substitute one or another, generally using a USB adaptor on the lappy will be most flexible. However, if cable works for you and it's practical to use long term, it's faster, more secure and a cheap fix. ;)
Rik
--------------------

davej99

A few more notes from a Network Novice:

I had always believed, and often seen, XP disable a wireless connection when a wired connection was made. However, having just retested in XP and Vista I have found it possible to make simultaneous connections, which seem to co-exist. This may be because I have inadvertently adjusted certain settings and this is not default behavior. But certainly it is possible and I see each test machine making double connection with two IPs and two adapter MACs.

I have also noticed using my DGN2200 router that disconnecting wireless whilst logged onto the router leaves the session open. So if I attempt to login with a wired connection, with a different MAC and a different assigned IP, then I, though this might time out. If I logoff in wireless first then the problem does not arise. So I suggest it is inadvisable to switch off the router wireless using a wireless connection because the session stays open making wired management more difficult.

This is why I came to the conclusion it is better to disconnect a wireless connection in "Wireless Connections" before plugging in a cable and vice versa; also that it is inadvisable to disable router wireless other than from a working wired connection or a button on the box.

Now this behaviour may be a feature of my DGN2200 router, because I did not notice it with the SG834v3, but it could also be my stupidity. So I am not challenging the received wisdom, rather suggesting in some cases it does not seem to hold and a fellow novice networker may waste as much time as I have trying to work out what was going on.

Rik

Thanks for the input, Dave. Like you, I'm just passing on my own experience and it's more than possible that different router/computer combinations will perform differently. One thing I have noticed is that the first connection made takes precedent, so if you start up wireless and then try to go wired, it will usually fail - at least till you disable wireless at the machine.
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Unless it's a Mac where you can set the service order, the default gives Ethernet priority over Wifi and it switches seamless from one to the other just by plugging in or removing the ethernet cable.
Steve
------------