Who stole my speed?

Started by Niall, Jan 17, 2011, 20:37:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Niall

The site has reared it's ugly head again, so I've ordered the faceplate and a filter. Hurrah.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Niall

Faceplate and filter dispatched. They can't arrive fast enough. I've even unplugged things as I'm not using them currently, and my connection tonight is a whopping 2mb. Woo!
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

I feel quite proud of my stats in your presence, Niall. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Niall

Incidentally my sisters line is having problems again. Unless it's pure coincidence I'm starting to think BT have done something around here when they went around working on the phone lines last month (well, December now I think about it).

Her other half was saying they've got noise on their phone line again. I think I'll plug my phone in when I get home and phone my mobile to see if I have noise too. I'll check the line outside the house too, just incase it's been damaged somehow.
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Broadback

Onny Conny in bread sandwiches, smacks lips!
Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

Rik

No need to phone your mobile, Niall. Dial 17070 and select option 2.
Rik
--------------------

Niall

I've just got home and tried both, with and without the new faceplate that arrived today. There's a low hiss on the line, but not overly loud, and it's pretty much been like that for god knows how many years, so I'm inclined to rule out a major problem there.

My profile has dropped even further today, by another 500 so it's now 2500. Every day that passes it's getting worse and worse, for no reason I can find. I'll remove the faceplate and just put the filter on it and leave it for a few days and see what happens. At this rate though, I won't even have a usable service by then!
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

Try a different router?
Rik
--------------------

Niall

I don't have one. That's the last thing to rule out. I'll buy one in two weeks, as I'd like a newer one anyway :)

My filter is now plugged in, instead of a faceplate, but (and I genuinely don't know the answer here!) why would a filter rather than a faceplate make a difference when they're the do the same thing?

Incidentally, on powering down my router, my profile dropped to 2268 :(

Oh a side note, this smiley amuses me :yeay:

;D
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

ADSL is not filtered, Niall, it's the voice side that's filtered. The only reason for using a filter when you go into the test socket is to convert the RJ11 plus to a BT one.
Rik
--------------------

Niall

Ah right, so I assume that this means that if there is a noise issue that the filter would cancel that out, thus improving the profile?

Please tell me I've understood that right, as I'll be all chuffed n stuff ;D
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

No, the filter is doing nothing but acting as a pass-through connector unless you plug a phone in, Niall.
Rik
--------------------

Niall

Aw :(

Why do support want me to use a filter for 72 hours then? I don't understand :(
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

Because the test socket is the BT demarcation point. If you still have a problem there, there's less chance of BT charging for an engineer visit.
Rik
--------------------

Niall

That answer works for me :D
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Niall

Well I've stuck another ticket in, in the hope that IDnet can suggest something as I'm all out of ideas at my end. Baring spending £150 on a router that I haven't got, I don't have anything more I can do.

One other thing, when support reset my line last week, my profile didn't change a bit. I expected a line reset to do exactly that, as my sisters line went back up to 14mb and then slowly lowered itself. How come mine didn't do that? Does this point to a fault, or a failed line reset?

As you can tell I REALLY know very little about broadband as I've never had problems in the 9 years I've used it :)
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

More likely a fault than a failed reset, Niall. You needn't spend that much on a router, though, a 2700 should be <£20 from eBay.
Rik
--------------------

Niall

Yay, line reset has returned my profile to just under 13k now with 1100 up. Just hope it stays that way, what with all the hurricane weather around here.

I want to upgrade my router to one that supports dual bands so I can have the wii downstairs connected, my xbox if needed and use wireless on my iphone when I'm at home, just for speed convenience. I'm also planning on getting a little netbook, so would need wireless, if only just for the summer while I drink beer and surf the net in the back garden :D

Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Niall

My only concern with them is that they take ages to do anything. My sisters other half was given one from work, but they're so dependant on software as the hardware is cut down, it was incredibly slow. Between my advice and his tinkering, we got rid of everything that wasn't needed, including Norton which slowed it to a crawl, and it was okay, but my mobile phone was faster for browsing!

Oh, I just sent IDnet an email to say thanks too. Now they're morally obliged to watch my line forever to make it stay awesome ;D
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

Extra RAM helps them a lot, Niall. :)

Quote from: Niall on Feb 04, 2011, 17:59:43
Oh, I just sent IDnet an email to say thanks too. Now they're morally obliged to watch my line forever to make it stay awesome ;D

They'll appreciate that.  :thumb:
Rik
--------------------

Niall

I think I may have jumped the gun. I'm trying to download this: http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora to test speeds, and while my profile is 13mb my speed is still 2mb.

I suppose I'll have to wait the 72 hours suggested after all!
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

Rik
--------------------