v4 or v6

Started by Polchraine, Jan 27, 2011, 10:15:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Polchraine

I have been asked to see if I can improve the performance of a friends connection.  

He have a VERY long line and currently see 256k upstream and anything from 150k to 400k downstream - yes it is that bad and does occasionally drop out too..   Most of the problem is attenuation plus some noise as the phone lines share poles with power.    Neighbours have similar speeds so it is not just his line.    

Previously - when they moved in, I redid most of the internal wiring and know that is in good condition.

I am planning to try a 2700 on the line and am wondering whether I should try a v4 or v6 - the front ends should be the same, or has anyone found any differences between them.   If so, which one should I try?     I cannot take both as I still need to leave wireless coverage here.

edit:

It should read v4 or v6   not v5 or v6    I only have the v4 and v6 here at present as my v5 is up at the house in Scotland

I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.

Rik

I've only used v5s. Alan or MisterW will be the people to advise you.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

kinmel

V5 is our favourite, has most options and is most easily modified.

V4 is best avoided and V6 is acceptable if you understand the bugs in the firmware.

I use V6 on most of the routers I install and manage for people.

See Tripod's 2700 website for in depth set up
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Polchraine

Quote from: kinmel on Jan 27, 2011, 11:36:00
V5 is our favourite, has most options and is most easily modified.

V4 is best avoided and V6 is acceptable if you understand the bugs in the firmware.

I use V6 on most of the routers I install and manage for people.

See Tripod's 2700 website for in depth set up

I've come across most of the niggles and problems and I still cannot solves problem of jumping wireless channels.    It is really just the modem side in this case if a v4 works best he is quite willing to accept the other problems -  he designs and manages networks for a living from small to massive with thousands of servers but cannot get his head round modems, sync, DLM, attenuation and SNRs.

I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.

MisterW

I'd agree with Alan, the modem firmware on v4 pretty old, and is not as good as the v5/v6 versions.