Another 2700 Succcess

Started by Polchraine, Feb 06, 2011, 00:47:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Polchraine

Finally managed to get to my friends house with the trusty 2700.   But initially it would not reset to factory default, but finally it did.

His line - on a good day with a Netgear DG834 would sync at 1240 and if the profile management had allowed it a 1000kbps profile.   But on a typical day the profile was often just 750kbps and a test tonight was showing around 650kbps download.

Installed and set-up the 2700 and immediately it synced at 1856 with a margin of just over 6dB.   The attenuation at 300kHz was 69dB so a pretty long line and teh bit loading looked awful.

We left it that and went to see Neil Innes (Bonzo-Dog Doo-Da band, Ruttles and other) and had a few beers.

Got back and went to see what the 2700 could achieve.    Running numerous tests including a painful 25MB download and monitoring in Task Manager and TBBmeter the rate was consistently 1300 kbps which indicates a 1500 profile.

He is going to see how well it performs over the next few days including a daytime sync which might push him up a sync high enough to gain a 1750 profile - especially as he commented that tonight was a bad night with wind and rain which adversely affect the mole (or more) of overhead wire on poles shared with power distribution.

So, yes a success, a doubling of speed achieved by using a 2700.

I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.

Rik

:thumb:

One thing he needs to watch is that a daytime sync might trigger a nightime re-sync and he could end up worse off. I'd suggest running Routerstats to see what his noise margin fluctuation is like.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Polchraine

I know - it takes some careful management, tracking the margin for a couple of days and then timing the resync.   I have found the ideal time is just after daybreak or around dusk.   The 1856 sync with 6.1 dB was seen at around 18:00 and was much the same at midnight so there is room for maybe 1 or 2dB.     

Aaron

Yeah, daytime syncs are no good for me either for my 2700. I have to sync at around 5pm to drop a few hundred kbps in the sync rate to keep the line stable overnight. If only this router could target 7db it would be perfect  :thumb:
IDNet Home Pro ADSL2+ 4Mbps | Billion BiPAC 7800N

Polchraine

Mine had a 3dB target and would actually continue to work down to 0dB or even less - the best seen was -0.5dB