Outage and Next Steps

Started by Tacitus, Mar 11, 2011, 13:51:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacitus

Regulars on Netters will recall the disasters of last October when BT merrily pulled the plug and cut iDNet off.  Later when the problems were resolved, a post from Tim on the service announcements page, said,

Quote....we are in the process of opening discussions with additional suppliers and we will keep you posted on how these discussions progress.

Six months have now passed without any further information.  Does anyone know if any progress has been made, or even if it is still under discussion?

I notice there are a couple of posts on TB singing the praises of LLU; in one case a claim of double or triple the iDNet speed via a competing CPW wholesale product.

Rik

Nothing more has been said,  Tac.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Mar 11, 2011, 13:53:29
Nothing more has been said,  Tac.

Strange.   In the light of the statement from Tim, I'd have thought there might have been something by now - after all he did say he'd let us know how the discussions progressed.    Assuming something really is happening, six months should be enough to let us know the general direction things might be taking even if they can't tell us specifics at this stage.

Simon_idnet

Unfortunately that avenue didn't lead to fruition.

cavillas

HHMMM!!! SOmething to do with BT again I thik. :mad: ;D
------
Alf :)

Technical Ben

To be fair to IDNet, they have given us updates as and when they came in though. I thought we did get some sort of details in December? At least as to what happened. I understand BT are not commenting on processes or changes to them to prevent further mistakes.

It kind of reminds me of Nokia. A massive company, with the potential (and sometimes evident) ability to have a huge sucess. However, it becomes so large, things have trouble gelling together. Then it splits apart (AKA microsoft, Xbox fights PC gaming/OS, etc).
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Tacitus

Quote from: Simon_idnet on Mar 11, 2011, 14:55:29

Sorry to hear that - the possibility of an alternative supplier might have lit a fire under BTs backside  :)  God knows they need it.

Rik

I was thinking more of a large lump of C4.  :evil:
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

sparkler

Bill

Quote from: Simon_idnet on Mar 11, 2011, 14:55:29

That's a pity :(

My options would be limited anyway on FTTC, but I'd happily have given Opal a try as a fibre LLU wholesaler.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Tacitus

Quote from: Bill on Mar 11, 2011, 19:57:04
That's a pity :(
My options would be limited anyway on FTTC, but I'd happily have given Opal a try as a fibre LLU wholesaler.

TBH  I don't think it would make much difference to me, although like you I would happily give CPW/Opal a try if iDNet offered their wholesale products.  I suspect there would be a lot of people with the same view, although it would be difficult for iDNet to predict the likely take up with any certainty.  Opal wholesale does seem to get good reports and, with iDNet's quality of service it would make an attractive offering for a lot of people.

FTTC and even ADSL2 remain pipe dreams round here.

Gary

Quote from: Tacitus on Mar 12, 2011, 08:06:22
TBH  I don't think it would make much difference to me, although like you I would happily give CPW/Opal a try if iDNet offered their wholesale products.  I suspect there would be a lot of people with the same view, although it would be difficult for iDNet to predict the likely take up with any certainty.  Opal wholesale does seem to get good reports and, with iDNet's quality of service it would make an attractive offering for a lot of people.

FTTC and even ADSL2 remain pipe dreams round here.

I have to agree, I would jump at the chance of using CPW Opal LLU via IDNet, Xilo don't offer a phone service and being happy with IDNet themselves but not BT it would be a great move forward for those with no ADSL2 or FTTC on the horizon.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Technical Ben

Kinda off topic but...
The main problem with LLU and ASDL2+ now is there is no incentive for competition. Yep, that's right, it's still a monopoly, at least in small areas.
Is your exchange or town only big enough for one LLU box? Will it only supply enough customers for 1 supplier?
If BT got in first with ASDL2+ Why would o2 move in and not get any customers then?
If O2 has LLU in your exchange, why would TalkTalk bother installing one, when they can go to the next town and get customers who have no service provider yet.

So my exchange has TalkTalk. I'd take O2 before I go over to them. But will never get O2 or BT upgrading the exchange now TalkTalk have gobbled up all the possible customers. :(

David

still no service here any news?sorry on phone atm
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

gingergalore

Quote from: David on Mar 16, 2011, 09:56:58

I lost service around 8pm last night and it was still off at 11pm so went to bed and just hoped for a better day today - hooray hooray - back online now - what happened?

Rik

Quote from: David on Mar 16, 2011, 09:56:58

No reason for you not to have, David, call support.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: gingergalore on Mar 16, 2011, 10:00:00

I lost service around 8pm last night and it was still off at 11pm so went to bed and just hoped for a better day today - hooray hooray - back online now - what happened?

The main link fell over. What is then supposed to happen is that we all fail-over to the backup link. For some 10% of customers, that didn't happen.
Rik
--------------------

David

Thanks Rik I rebooted and it resolved itself sorry  :blush:
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Gary

Quote from: Technical Ben on Mar 16, 2011, 09:54:44
Kinda off topic but...
The main problem with LLU and ASDL2+ now is there is no incentive for competition. Yep, that's right, it's still a monopoly, at least in small areas.
Is your exchange or town only big enough for one LLU box? Will it only supply enough customers for 1 supplier?
If BT got in first with ASDL2+ Why would o2 move in and not get any customers then?
If O2 has LLU in your exchange, why would TalkTalk bother installing one, when they can go to the next town and get customers who have no service provider yet.

So my exchange has TalkTalk. I'd take O2 before I go over to them. But will never get O2 or BT upgrading the exchange now TalkTalk have gobbled up all the possible customers. :(
I am in the same boat we have talktalk LLU so Xilo reselling would be great but since its full LLU and has no phone package its not worth it, if IDNet resold CPW/Opal LLU like Xilo but you still had a phone package I think many would be interested.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

Quote from: David on Mar 16, 2011, 10:11:07
Thanks Rik I rebooted and it resolved itself sorry  :blush:

:thumb:

Stale session from the sound of it, David.
Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

Phew. I thought it was happening again there Rik... oh wait, "10% failed".  :slap:
De Ja Vue?

David

:thumb: My own fault should have thought to reboot still all ok now :thumb:

Rik

Quote from: Technical Ben on Mar 16, 2011, 10:20:42
Phew. I thought it was happening again there Rik... oh wait, "10% failed".  :slap:
De Ja Vue?

Very much. :(
Rik
--------------------