Iphone IMAP

Started by pn, Mar 22, 2011, 10:18:16

Previous topic - Next topic

pn

I can not get this to work reliably....

IDNET host my website (and therefore email) and I use the following settings:

Incoming IMAP pop.idnet.net
Outgoing IMAP smtp.idnet.net

The biggest problem is that I keep getting "smtp.idnet.net" is not responding.....I have tried different ports (143 and 993 and SSL on/off)...

My login credentials are, for example, "phil@mysite.com" and then the required password.

Has anyone got this working ? NOTE - I mean working if IDNET are hosting your email/website..

I am about to give up (it's a new iphone) and am looking for new hosting services..any recomendations ?

Thanks

Philip

pctech

Ray

You need to use mail.idnet.com as your incoming mail server and smtp.idnet.com as your outgoing mail server.
Ray
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pn

Quote from: Ray on Mar 22, 2011, 10:29:04
You need to use mail.idnet.com as your incoming mail server and smtp.idnet.com as your outgoing mail server.

Thanks for prompt reply.....but still does not work, "The SMTP server 'smtp.idnet.com" is not responding...

For my *hosted* email, smtp.idnet.net works fine on my mac at home and my macbook....but not on the iphone.

pctech

Is your signal ok?

Are you using Wi-Fi or 3G?

Ray

I don't use an Iphone but on my Android phone I've got Imap set to use port 143 and SMTP to use port 25, have you tried both of those? if that doesn't work I'm sure someone will be along  shortly who does use an Iphone and will be able to help you.

by the way welcome to the Forum and  :karma:
Ray
--------------------

Simon

Try imap.idnet.com as the incoming mail server.  That's what I use on my iPhone for three IDNet mail account, and it works perfectly.  I assume you have set the mail accounts up as IMAP accounts in your iPhone?
Simon.
--

pn

Quote from: Simon on Mar 22, 2011, 11:16:09
Try imap.idnet.com as the incoming mail server.  That's what I use on my iPhone for three IDNet mail account, and it works perfectly.  I assume you have set the mail accounts up as IMAP accounts in your iPhone?

Simon - thanks - BUT I do NOT have IDNET accounts.....they host my mail/website...so my website is www.mysite.com and my email addresses are phil@mysite.com for example......the ports/servers work at home, but not on the iphone.

Simon

How are you connecting with the iPhone?  Do the settings work on the iPhone if you're connected to your home wifi network?

Also, have you spoken to IDNet about the issue?  If it's an issue with hosting, they may be the best ones to help, and they use iPhones too!
Simon.
--

Lance

In the settings go to the idnet account, scroll down to Outgoing mail server and check it has smtp.idnet.net. tap on it, check that you've got your username and password entered, SSL is off, authentication is password and server port is 587.

That's how my imap account is set up on my iphone.
Lance
_____

pn

Quote from: Lance on Mar 22, 2011, 12:10:05
In the settings go to the idnet account, scroll down to Outgoing mail server and check it has smtp.idnet.net. tap on it, check that you've got your username and password entered, SSL is off, authentication is password and server port is 587.

That's how my imap account is set up on my iphone.

Simon thanks - that works.....

While I am here, what are your incoming settings ?

Thanks

Simon

Simon.
--

pn

Lance

Quote from: pn on Mar 22, 2011, 12:38:14
While I am here, what are your incoming settings ?

On the first screen I've got host name imap.idnet.com , username and password completed. On advanced under incoming settings I've got SSL on, authentication password, imap prefix "/" (I assume thats the default), and server port 993.

Lance
_____

pn

Quote from: Lance on Mar 22, 2011, 12:51:39
On the first screen I've got host name imap.idnet.com , username and password completed. On advanced under incoming settings I've got SSL on, authentication password, imap prefix "/" (I assume thats the default), and server port 993.

Thanks....BUT the outgoing looks like it is not working....

smtp.idnet.net, port 587, SSL off, authen. password.....

mchunt_idnet

The correct settings for your particular account will appear on the email settings part of the customer portal - for an idnet.com address using secure imap your server settings should be

Incoming mail server (IMAPS) securemail.idnet.com
Outgoing mail server (SMTP)   smtp.idnet.com

If you try to authenticate with smtp.idnet.net when you have an idnet.com address it will fail as they are different mail systems, both smtp.idnet.net and smtp.idnet.com will however accept non authenticated connections when you are on the idnet network.

For a domain mail account however you are probably best using mail.idnet.net.uk for both incoming and outgoing as that is what the secure certificate is assigned to, username should be your full email address, authentication is not necessary if you are using wifi (it is required over mobile network). Also some networks block/redirect outgoing mail so you have to use the networks smtp server, if you don't use smtp authentication it may work if they are just redirecting traffic through their outgoing servers.

mchunt_idnet

Quote from: mchunt_idnet on Mar 22, 2011, 13:34:08
The correct settings for your particular account will appear on the email settings part of the customer portal - for an idnet.com address using secure imap your server settings should be

If you try to authenticate with smtp.idnet.net when you have an idnet.com address it will fail as they are different mail systems, both smtp.idnet.net and smtp.idnet.com will however accept non authenticated connections when you are on the idnet network.

For a domain mail account however you are probably best using mail.idnet.net.uk for both incoming and outgoing as that is what the secure certificate is assigned to, username should be your full email address, authentication is not necessary if you are using wifi (it is over mobile network). Also some networks block/redirect outgoing mail so you have to use the networks smtp server, if you don't use smtp authentication it may work if they are just redirecting traffic through their outgoing servers.

pn

Quote from: mchunt_idnet on Mar 22, 2011, 13:34:08

Thanks - I do NOT have an idnet.com address.....IDNET host my mail/website......so what do i use and what port numbers ????

Simon

Martin has amended his post. 
Simon.
--

pn

Quote from: mchunt_idnet on Mar 22, 2011, 13:39:20
For a domain mail account however you are probably best using mail.idnet.net.uk for both incoming and outgoing as that is what the secure certificate is assigned to, username should be your full email address, authentication is not necessary if you are using wifi (it is over mobile network). Also some networks block/redirect outgoing mail so you have to use the networks smtp server, if you don't use smtp authentication it may work if they are just redirecting traffic through their outgoing servers.

Thanks - do I not need to autheticate so the "sent" folder (IMAP) is updated on the server ???

Lance

Quote from: pn on Mar 22, 2011, 13:55:47
Thanks - do I not need to autheticate so the "sent" folder (IMAP) is updated on the server ???

I think the answer is yes you do need to, unless you are using wifi fed by an idnet connection (not that it does any harm if you do even in these circumstances).

Lance
_____

mchunt_idnet

Quote from: pn on Mar 22, 2011, 13:55:47

You need to be authenticated to the IMAP service only as it is the IMAP client that is responsible for saving a copy on the server.

Simon

Thanks for the clarification, Martin.  :)
Simon.
--