Can't get FTTC, despite my exchange being enabled :(

Started by DerekR, Mar 25, 2011, 14:07:51

Previous topic - Next topic

DerekR

Hello fellow idnetters,

I moved house last week and had a brand new line set up by BT which finally went live today. I also received a flyer from BT the other day telling me that BT Infinity was now available in my area. Great I thought, new line, exchange just been enabled....I can get rid of this temporary 3mobile broadband dongle and I should be good to go!

You just know there's a 'but' coming don't you? Here's the thing. When I checked my new number with IDNet over the phone, they tell me that FTTC is unavailable on that number. This info is backed up with BT's own online checker on the Infinity website, yet when I enter my house number and postcode instead of my phone number, it tells me I CAN receive fibre! This is infuriating, especially as I've seen BT engineers working on the cabinet at the end of my street, in fact all over my area they've been sitting with their heads inside cabinets with their vans parked nearby. I wish now I'd stopped and had a chat with one, typically it looks like they are finished now as I haven't seen any for a couple of days.

So, am I just unlucky? Will I ever get fibre? Browsing BT's own Infinity forums it seems I am not alone, there's loads of people with similar issues to mine. I have registered there but I cannot post yet as I am waiting on a confirmation email to arrive, so I thought I'd pop in here to see if anyone can offer any help, or just calming words of support hehe.

Cheers, off to calm down now :)

p.s. I cancelled my IDNet service at my previous address and I'm currently using a 3mobile dongle to get online. Obviously my IDNet account is still live as I can still receive emails etc but does anyone know how long this will continue? Will my account be killed off if I don't sign up again within a certain time?

p.p.s. On a similar note, is there any reason why I can't send emails to smtp.idnet.com whilst I'm connected via 3? Everything else seems to work, can receive OK, just can't send.

Lance

Answer to the p.p.s is because you will need to authenticate with the server.

As for the rest, I've not got a clue and fibre for me is a distant dream!
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Inkblot

Apparently they don't enable all of the street cabinets in an area so which cabinet you are connected to the deciding factor, this is why postcode checkers give an indication but number checkers give an answer! At home I have 2 telephone lines, I assumed that they both came from the cabinet 50yds away which has not been FTTC enabled but when I checked with IDNet (And BT) I was told that I could get FTTC - it turns out the older line is actually running from a cabinet 1/2 mile away and fortunately for me it is FTTC enabled.

Rik

It's not uncommon for BT to only enable some cabinets, and if you're connected to the wrong one, I'm afraid, it's a matter of sit and wait. It may be they haven't got around to yours, or that there is a planning permission problem.

IDNet leave mail accounts active for some time, but I have no idea how long. Eventually, they are likely to close them.

As Lance says, you either need to use authenticated smtp with the IDNet server, or use 3's own smtp server to send. Authentication requires you to switch smtp to port 587 and to tell your mail client you require authentication. Do not, though, select SSL.
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Quote from: DerekR on Mar 25, 2011, 14:07:51
Hello fellow idnetters,

p.p.s. On a similar note, is there any reason why I can't send emails to smtp.idnet.com whilst I'm connected via 3? Everything else seems to work, can receive OK, just can't send.

Take a look at Martin's reply here
Glenn
--------------------

pctech

DerekR

Quote from: pctech on Mar 25, 2011, 17:01:03
Why not sign up for ADSL while you wait?

My finger is currently hovering over the 'place order' button for ADSL2+ but I thought I might give it a few days to see if my number makes its way onto the fibre checker database, seeing as it only went live today.

Cheers everyone.

DerekR

OMG it gets worse!

Someone suggested I check my number on the BT wholesale checker, so I did......Oh dear! Seems BT have hooked me up with a piece of wet string!

Quote"Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our initial test on your line indicates that your line may not support a reliable ADSL Max broadband service, with current technology. However, an order for 250Kbps broadband speed will still be accepted, but an engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the service.

Our initial test on your line indicates that your line may not support a reliable ADSL2+ broadband service, with current technology. However, an order for 250Kbps broadband speed will still be accepted, but an engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the service.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest."

Mmmm.....1Mbps aDSL or 250Kbps ADSL2+ Talk about a step backwards  ??? Dunno what they mean about the length of my line...I live in Garforth FFS, it's only a small town, nothing can be more than a mile from the exchange!

Unsure of what to do now to be honest. Do I go ahead and order ADSL2+ and hope it works? Feel like I'm getting nowhere fast here.

Rik

Don't pay too much attention to that guessworkdatabase. Ask IDNet what speed they think you could get (check with the neighbours if you can).
Rik
--------------------

Inkblot

...and if the neighbours don't know you could try http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk which will show you what others are achieving.

DerekR

Woot! Online checkers now saying I CAN have fibre. Order placed  ;D

Hopefully they will cancel the ADSL2+ order which I tried to do online late (too late!) last night when I'd convinced myself it was the best I was going to get. I don't think it completed anyway as the browser timed out before it got to the payment stage  :red:

Glenn

:thumb:

I placed an order last Tuesday, it's being fitted this coming Tuesday, so a 7 day wait. I think you should get the installation done in the 1st week of April.
Glenn
--------------------