Office laptop problem

Started by JohnH, Jun 19, 2011, 20:00:42

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnH

I recently was give a new work laptop to replace my old one which I had used with no problems at home, hardwired to my Netgear DG834PN.

However, the new one won't connect to the Internet, although the Local Area Connection icon says that it is connected. I though it might be a firewall issue but I have tried dropping the firewall on the router, but it made no difference. I also read on a forum that the problem could be the MAC address, but I don't know how to fix that.

Anyone have any ideas?  :dunno:

Thanks.

John

Lance

Is your browser set to use a proxy server?
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

JohnH

Lance, I use Firefox and it's configured to use the System proxy settings. Since I posted, I changed routers and I can now connect the laptop to my office. The 'new' router is an old 2-Wire.

I would prefer to use the Netgear because I get about 2MB more, speedwise. I don't understand why it won't connect the laptop and yet the 2-wire will.  ???

Lance

Did you try a different LAN port on the netgear?

Did it correctly allocate the laptop an ip address?
Lance
_____

JohnH

Tried a different LAN port.

I assume it allocated an IP address because the laptop was saying it was connected. How could I check?

Lance

Which version of windows are you running?
Lance
_____

JohnH

XP, but I can't get into the settings of the laptop because it is locked down

Glenn

Is Mac address filtering or whatever Netgear call it, enabled on the router?
Glenn
--------------------

JohnH

No Glenn, I checked that.

Baz

daft question but are you using the new one hardwired too or wireless

JohnH

Glenn

What OS is the laptop running John? Can access and change any DNS/Gateway settings?
Glenn
--------------------

JohnH

It is running XP, but I can't change the settings because they are locked out to me, Glenn

pctech

If you have multiple accounts, make sure you are signed on as the admin account.

JohnH

I don't know how I could do that on a locked down laptop, though.  :dunno:

pctech

If the machine was provided by your employer then you'd need to talk to your IT department.

I suspect they may have manually set the DNS servers and poss the IP rather than using DHCP so if the IT department won't change those to dynamic for you then it eon't connect.

pctech

My apologies by the way, did not read the thread from the beginning.

Were you supposed to be using a VPN with the machine?

Lance

Good point Mitch. I have to use VPN for
my work laptop.
Lance
_____

JohnH

It shouldn't need it because the last one didn't and I did ask the question when I took delivery, and was told not.

Lance

Are you able to run the command prompt? If so, once it's connected could you run pings and ipconfig /all?
Lance
_____

pctech

Change is security policy perhaps John.

JohnH

@ Lance

No, I can't run command prompts on it

@ Mitch

I think you're right and it is security policy

The sequel is that today the laptop blue screened and has gone back for a rebuild. Who knows, maybe it will work when I get it back.  :fingers:

Thanks for all your help so far, guys.

Glenn

Quote from: JohnH on Jun 19, 2011, 22:03:50
Lance, I use Firefox and it's configured to use the System proxy settings. Since I posted, I changed routers and I can now connect the laptop to my office. The 'new' router is an old 2-Wire.

I would prefer to use the Netgear because I get about 2MB more, speedwise. I don't understand why it won't connect the laptop and yet the 2-wire will.  ???

To me, the above bold statement points to a config issue with the Netgear router
Glenn
--------------------

Lance

Yep I agree. I was wondering though whether it was correctly giving the laptop an ip address.
Lance
_____

JohnH

I think that could be the issue, but how can I resolve it, once I get the laptop back, given that it's locked down?