Looking for a Modem Router for Low SNR!

Started by arobertson676, Aug 25, 2011, 17:26:26

Previous topic - Next topic

arobertson676

Hi guys,
I am looking for a new router to hold a connection at low SNR. I am looking to tweak the connection and I need a modem that will be stable at an SNR of 5dB and below. I currently use a 2Wire 2700HGV which is pretty stable but it's quite old now and there isn't much to tweak.

So, what routers have you guys used and would recommend for my connection? I am on a 40dB attentuation.

Steve

Just wondering what type of connection you wish to tweak ? i.e. adslmax,LLU etc.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

Have a look at the Billion 7800N as it has the facility to tweak the SNR.

http://www.billion.uk.com/product/wireless/7800n.htm
Steve
------------

arobertson676

I have tried the 7800 non N version and didn't hold the connection well at all.  :(

arobertson676

But I am starting to think that it might have been a dud as other people are reporting than it can hold the connection at at an SNR of 3dB and below on higher attentuation connections than mine.  ???

Rik

That router is good on long lines. I wonder whether you have an internal wiring issue, what else is connected to the phone line.
Rik
--------------------

arobertson676

I have a BT fitted filtered faceplate, connected to the extensions are a DECT base station and an old wired telephone.

Rik

Try removing the faceplate and plugging the router into the test socket revealed, see if that helps.
Rik
--------------------

arobertson676

It doesn't :(. I have tried that many times before.

Rik

Quote from: arobertson676 on Aug 25, 2011, 17:40:28
But I am starting to think that it might have been a dud as other people are reporting than it can hold the connection at at an SNR of 3dB and below on higher attentuation connections than mine.  ???

That depends on the line quality. What are your stats like?
Rik
--------------------

arobertson676

Stats:

VPI:    0
VCI:    38
Broadband Negotiated Mode:    G.DMT Annex A
Connection Status:    CONNECTED 
Speed (down/up):    7264 Kbps/448 Kbps
Number of Retrains:    0
Number of Retrains Elapsed Time:    0H: 00M: 00S
SNR Margin (Downstream/Upstream):    5.0 dB/25.0 dB
Attenuation (Downstream/Upstream):    40.9 dB/24.0 dB

That's all my unlocked 2700HGV gives me.

Rik

Given you've got a 1db noise increase from your last resync at a relatively 'quiet' time of day, I'm not sure you'll be able to maintain a stable connection at 3db. If you can, it will step up your profile, though.
Rik
--------------------

arobertson676

That's why I am looking to find a router to hold the connection at a low SNR like that. It did hold the connection down to 2dB last night.  :)

Steve

But does anything beat the 2Wire in this situation?
Steve
------------

arobertson676

I am trying to find out :)

So far it seems not.

Steve

We've members sitting on 3b margins on adsl2+ with basic N Netgears but that's solely down to line quality.
Steve
------------

arobertson676

Yep, I understand that. I just wonder if the Billion might deserve another go. What's the Netgear DGN2200 like?

Steve

I'm pretty certain Lance is running that on adsl2+with a 3db margin,he should be around later.
Steve
------------

Rik

I wouldn't bother myself, it would be 2700 or Billion for me. :)
Rik
--------------------

arobertson676

Because I have had one before, but it locked me out of telnet before I could test it  >:(

Steve

We've also got at least one Draytek Vigor user but can't recall the connection profile.
Steve
------------

arobertson676

Lance

Quote from: Steve on Aug 25, 2011, 18:11:43
I'm pretty certain Lance is running that on adsl2+with a 3db margin,he should be around later.

I do and I am :)

The router seems good and when I was on Max performance was about the same as the 2700. However, I've got a stable 40db attenuation adsl2+ line now (currently noise is at 1.4db). I've not tried a 2700 on my line since getting adsl2+.
Lance
_____

Ardua

I am running a Fritz!Box 7390 on an ADSL2+ line. Connection speeds 17240/1059 with a Downstream LA and SNR of 18 and 3, and upstream 6 and 6. Connection has been up for nearly 3 days with a Downstream CRC error rate of 0.49 per minute and Upstream error rate of 0.06. Downstream SNR varies between 2 and 4. Best price for the box at the moment is with Mom 'ILC.  I have bought 2 phones from them and their service to the UK is excellent.