Billion 7700n sync speed

Started by Michael, Aug 30, 2011, 09:17:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Hi, I'm after a little advice.

I've just replaced my DG834G with a Billion 7700n (for the Wireless N). However, my sync speed has dropped from 4700 to 3700. I understand that some routers sync differently, but this is a whole 1000 lower. My throughput has dropped from 4mb to 3mb.

My line attenuation is about 52db so I should be able to get up to 4700.

Is this normal or is there something wrong with the Billion?

pctech

Has the sync speed decreased?

It's possible DLM has detected the router removal as instability and has reduced the sync speed, if it sees the router remains connected for 5-7 days it should recover.

Another tip I picked up from here is to reboot the router when the noise margin is at its highest which is generally in the morning.

arobertson676

I have had that router before. It was very poor, it synced much slower than my older router. This is because it is using an old chipset, the Broadcom 6338 :(.

arobertson676

I am sorry to be a bit negative but that is my honest opinion.

pctech

I have to say I returned one because it kept locking up every few hours.

Tacitus

Quote from: arobertson676 on Aug 30, 2011, 10:47:07
I have had that router before. It was very poor, it synced much slower than my older router. This is because it is using an old chipset, the Broadcom 6338

Is it the 7800N - the more expensive one - that has the newer Broadcom chipset?

arobertson676

I have tried the Billion 7800, the non wireless version of the 7800N. It didn't hold the connection so I returned it. I am now using the Netgear DGN2000 which seems to be a lot more stable. I have posted some initial thoughts. Please take a look at that thread. I will be posting more in there soon.

Michael

Yes, the sync speed has dropped. I'm hoping it will recover.

Just to make things worse, I looked back at my old posts when I first joined IDNET and I was getting 6617 downstream and 1005 upstream.

Michael

I plugged my trusty Netgear DG834G back in last night and got an instant sync of 4800.

Plugged the Billion back in and it went back down to 3800.

Looks like I'm stuck with the lower speed.  :(

pctech

Or return the billion and get your money back....

Michael

That's exactly what I did pctech.  :)

Got myself a Netgear DGN2000 instead. I figured it was the closest thing to my old router I could get with Wireless N.

Seems better so far, just need to wait for my IP Profile to go back up.