Do routers degrade over time

Started by woppy101, Sep 16, 2011, 16:50:10

Previous topic - Next topic

woppy101

Do routers(2700hgv) degrade over time?I have just had a look and my 2wire has a manufacture date of 2006 and I'm just wondering if If could be that thats causing my problems
Many thanks for any replys

Rik

All electronics change over time, in hi fi, initially for the better. If your speeds are down, though, it's more likely the line which has changed.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

The PSUs certainly seem to have a habit of dying off with the 2700s.
Simon.
--

Technical Ben

Quote from: Rik on Sep 16, 2011, 16:59:06
All electronics change over time, in hi fi, initially for the better. If your speeds are down, though, it's more likely the line which has changed.

I think Hi-Fi stories are myths and old wives tales. Sorry to be rocking the boat, but it's true. I'll admit defeat on the speakers themselves, it's possible the covers and cones become more flexible over time and so respond to the signal better. :)
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Rik

I've seen and heard the results on Meridian gear, Ben. They use milspec components, and even with these there is a burn-in period before the system reaches its sweet point. The advantage of milspec is that it tends to stay there a long time.
Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

Well, I know it's all physical solder and stuff. But some of the things people do, like buying a gold plated cable when it's a digital signal source and output they are using.  :slap:

Rik

Ah, but oxygen-free copper is worthwhile for speaker leads. :)
Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

Could be. I think size makes more difference. You want big think cable. :D

Rik

Rik
--------------------

FritzBox

Quote from: Simon on Sep 16, 2011, 19:49:37
The PSUs certainly seem to have a habit of dying off with the 2700s.

Most definitely the weak link

esh

They degrade over time in the sense that eventually some connections (ie. solder points) will go dry and break, but then more likely you will see the entire thing fail. I had a modem die fairly recently, but it was painfully obvious; I couldn't establish a connection for longer than 2 seconds. So, I doubt your signal-to-noise decreasing is the router's fault. Modern IC electronics tend to work - or not work. Increasing noise is almost certainly the line, in my opinion.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011