iTunes WiFi sync issue

Started by Simon, Nov 16, 2011, 21:58:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

I've just switched the PC on to try again, and my Firewall flagged Bonjour as wanting to connect.  I've allowed it, but it hasn't cured the problem.

Sod it. 
Simon.
--

Simon

Simon.
--

Ray

That seems to confirm what I've found with my Ipod, Simon the Wi Fi synch won't work with Win 7, I got that peed of with it that decided to try installing Itunes on my WHS server as a trial. Strangely it actually works from that I can actually synch the Ipod via Wi Fi!!  :dunno:
Ray
--------------------

Simon

I'm on XP, Ray.  I'm wondering if it's a router issue.  Maybe it just won't work with the 2700?  I don't actually have a different brand of router to try at the moment, as my spare DG834G went on 'loan' to a friend some months ago.  ::)
Simon.
--

Steve

There's some reference here in the first post to firewall ports that should be open, although there's multiple threads and a variety of solutions i.e. non guaranteed to work.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3374306?start=105&tstart=0

It does seem that on the Windows firewall that these ports need to be opened.

open TCP ports 123 and 3689, as well as UDP ports 123 and 5353.

This is taken from the support document I posted earlier http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4062

Typical Apple TCP and UDP ports - http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1629
Steve
------------

lozcart

Quote from: Simon on Nov 17, 2011, 17:40:53
I'm on XP, Ray.  I'm wondering if it's a router issue.  Maybe it just won't work with the 2700?  I don't actually have a different brand of router to try at the moment, as my spare DG834G went on 'loan' to a friend some months ago.  ::)

I'm using a 2700 with my iMac and can confirm it works fine without changing any router settings.

Steve

Steve
------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Steve

At least we've ruled out one possible cause. My guess is the Windows or 3rd party firewalls.
Steve
------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Steve

Steve
------------

psp83

Quote from: Ray on Nov 17, 2011, 17:32:36
Simon the Wi Fi synch won't work with Win 7.....

Not true.. I run Windows 7 64bit and mine works.

Ray

Quote from: psp83 on Nov 17, 2011, 18:52:02
Not true.. I run Windows 7 64bit and mine works.

Are you running a third party Firewall or just the Standards Windows one, Paul, I tend to agree with Steve that the problem is being caused by 3rd party Firewalls. Born out by the fact that it works on my WHS 2011 which only has the standard Windows Firewall on it but I'm using a third party one on Windows 7 64 bit MC.
Ray
--------------------

Simon

But I've looked at the third party firewall settings, and everything related to iTunes is being allowed.  I have asked on the F-Secure forums, though, to see if they can come up with anything.   
Simon.
--

Steve

In that case Simon "home sharing' should work for that PC iTunes Music library?
Steve
------------

Simon

I did turn it on earlier, but it didn't change anything.  I'll see if it will work with the laptop later. 
Simon.
--

Ray

It appears that it isn't only F - Secure though, Simon, it seems to involve other Firewalls as well, I use Norton on all my W 7 MCs. and everything Itunes related is set to be allowed.
Ray
--------------------

Steve

Quote from: Simon on Nov 17, 2011, 19:22:16
I did turn it on earlier, but it didn't change anything.  I'll see if it will work with the laptop later. 

It takes a couple of minutes to load the library titles on the iPhone and in fact on my WiFi sound quality is pretty good.

BTW Pauls's .jpg was of Windows firewall I believe
Steve
------------

Simon

It didn't do anything as far as I could see, but perhaps it will when I connect next. 
Simon.
--

Steve

There's a free app called iNet which shows you which services are emanating from your PC , you don't get any port details unless you pay for the full version though but you should see several iTunes / bonjour services
Steve
------------

psp83

Quote from: Ray on Nov 17, 2011, 19:13:58
Are you running a third party Firewall or just the Standards Windows one, Paul, I tend to agree with Steve that the problem is being caused by 3rd party Firewalls. Born out by the fact that it works on my WHS 2011 which only has the standard Windows Firewall on it but I'm using a third party one on Windows 7 64 bit MC.

It worked when I had ESET Smart Security Installed (now on my laptop) but only have NOD32 AV installed now.

I'm using Windows Firewall at the moment as the router firewall does all the external protection.

Quote from: Steve on Nov 17, 2011, 19:24:33
BTW Pauls's .jpg was of Windows firewall I believe

Correct.

Getting iTunes to work with your iPhone can take a while, it took me ages to get the remote app to work. I had to open ports on the router & software firewall, enable services & options etc etc. Its not straight forward as they make it out.

I would tell you what I had to do but its been a while since I did it all  :(

psp83

Quote from: Steve on Nov 17, 2011, 19:49:50
There's a free app called iNet which shows you which services are emanating from your PC , you don't get any port details unless you pay for the full version though but you should see several iTunes / bonjour services

I use that app as well as one called Scany it helped me getting the remote app working.

Simon

Well, I'll be buggered!  I've just upgraded F-Secure to the 2012 version, and it's all started working!  ::)
Simon.
--

Steve

Steve
------------