new router

Started by Barndog, Nov 17, 2011, 17:02:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Barndog

I have been using bit tornado as a client for years and dont want to change, the problem is i got a new preconfigured netgear router from id net, and the lights dont turn green to let me know everything is working ok, it stays yellow all the time, i have been searching on google for an answer and cant find a fix for this, i dont know how to get into router settings, anyone know how i can get my lights to turn green again...thanks

Steve

Is that the 'light' on the Bit Tornado client or a light on the router , I'm guessing the former.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Glenn

Is Bit Tornado significant? Are we talking about http://www.bittornado.com/faq.html

Which router did you buy?
Glenn
--------------------

Steve

If it's Idnet is should be Netgear DGN 1000 ?

Here's portforward.com instruction page for a similar router

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/DGN2000/BitTornado.htm
Steve
------------

Glenn

I've just been looking there  ;)
Glenn
--------------------

Steve

Steve
------------

Barndog

Hi guys, its a netgear wired dg834, its the light on bit tornado, it stays yellow instead of green, means im not fully connecting when downloading torrents?, is there a way to forward ports on router...thanks

Steve

Steve
------------

Barndog

Thanks Steve, but i backed out when you had to set up an ip address, it says change network settings, so i dont want to mess anything up, thanks anyway

Steve

I guess that's setting a static IP for the computer so that the port forward rules are always applied correctly. What you could try is enable UPNP in BT and also in the router.
Steve
------------

Barndog

So if i change the network settings it wont cause any problems with my current connection will it, also dont know how to get into my router settings, sorry but this is the first router i have had, always went with a speedtouch modem, im still getting great d/l speeds but not able to upload anything back on p2p...thanks

Steve

If you type 192.168.0.1 in the browser address box you should see the routers admin panel, now I get stuck as the default username is admin and the password is password but I believe IDNet may have changed this. UPNP is normally enabled by default on a Netgear router (but worth a check) and if your using Windows the router should show as new UPNP device. If this is the case enabling UPNP in Bit Tornado may solve the problem. This is usually for slow downloads not sure why you can't upload.
Steve
------------

Barndog

Thanks for your help Steve, i have upnp enabled and tried with disabled, but still the same, i need the light to turn green i think in order to be fully connected lol

Steve

I think therefore you need to set port forwarding up so Bit Tornado will work correctly. This involves setting a static or a reserved IP address for the machine it runs on so it that always gets the same IP address. The port forward rule enables the ports that Bit Tornado uses  for connection  and directs the connection to the machine that the rule has been enabled for.
Steve
------------