Security warning from M&S

Started by Rik, Jun 06, 2007, 14:31:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

A bogus offer claims forwarding a chain letter will glean hundreds of pounds in vouchers.

IT security and control firm Sophos is warning computer users not to be duped by enticing email offers, following the rapid spread of a spoof chain-mail, allegedly sent by UK high street supermarket Marks and Spencer, in conjunction with Persimmon Homes.

The email promises at least £100 worth of M&S vouchers in return for forwarding the message on to at least eight people, and copying in a legitimate email address at British housebuilding firm Persimmon Homes. However, neither Marks and Spencer nor Persimmon Homes has endorsed the email and both advise recipients to delete it immediately.

http://www.sophos.com/pressoffice/news/articles/2007/06/markschain.html
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

RobMc

Yeah a friend of mine got one of these. I had a look at it and on face value it was very convincing apart from the point that it was so obviously bogus. My first thought was that people were being encouraged to sell their friends email addresses for marketing but the spam was so silly as if offered far too much money for too few emails for it to be a real (stupid marketing ploy). It never fails to amaze me that there are people out there that think they can get something for nothing and that they are willing to compromise their friends email addresses to get it. Presumably these are the same people that think that buying from an "online farmacy" (sic) is a good idea or are happy to hand over bank details to anyone who asks for them. Oops sorry I thought I was in rant'n'rave for a minute there :)

Rob.

Rik

Quote from: RobMc on Jun 06, 2007, 14:59:54
It never fails to amaze me that there are people out there that think they can get something for nothing <snip>  Oops sorry I thought I was in rant'n'rave for a minute there :)

I agree with you, Rob. Cons and scams only work if people are greedy. Another one of my bugbears is the people who will forward emails, leaving a long list of other people's email addresses in them. I  don't mine data, but I might do. I think I'll join you in Rant'n'Rave. :)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

RobMc

Yes it's strange how lax some people are. I tend to send the following link to people who compromise me in this way:

kitz email rant

In fact I've asked all my friends not to include me in such emails and have told them that emails of this type are likely to get deleted unread, regardless of who sent them. At least I know chain-email / spam will stop here.

Rob.

DorsetBoy

Rob you have been dealing with computers and people how long? I would have thought that you had seen all the dumb things people can do by now.

If you want to see realy stupid take some time going around the support forums for free forums ::) ::)

"I can't understand why the settings have changed....have I been hacked?" Turns out someone has given admin rights to 4 other people :( ::)

"Do I really need a password on my account?" Well...........

RobMc

LOl, I've done a lot of stupid things too :) I think the best was when helping a colleague remove some files from a folder I typed "del *.*" and yes without thinking only to find that I was in their c:\windows folder ooops it was then time to...  :out:

Part of my job is providing desktop support for some small businesses and when I ask them to log me in I have to stop them from telling me their password. I'm even old-fashioned enough to look away when they type it in. That's why I hate chip'n'pin but that's another rant.

Rob.

DorsetBoy

These things are certainly doing the rounds,my neighbours wife was completely taken in and about to send all her friends email addresses into hell,she is still convinced it is genuine ::)