an end of the SpeedTouch 330 era for me

Started by home102938, Nov 20, 2011, 17:23:04

Previous topic - Next topic

home102938

Hi all  :D

Here I am again relying on the wisdom of your experience and hoping for some guidance.

Well, its time to set up my "new" computer and think that with Windows7 I am not likely to use my old Thompson Speedtouch 330 dial up modem, which I stubbornly used having been overwhelmed every time I came across the terms relating to the new routers and wireless connections gadgetry.

I sincerely hope that I will be able to enjoy connection without having to have an in depth knowledge of what such things like "low SNR", "LLU", "ipv6",  "downstream SNR" and so on mean  :red:(am sure I will Google most of it in time but right now need to set the connection up).
Seemed like so much to take in that I stayed with what I knew and what was simple i.e my old modem, even though it was far from the best.

So, out with the old (veeery old) and in with the "new"-ish  ;-)

I have been kindly given a bag of odds and sods with some internet connection tools and am not sure which one would be the best to use - if any.

Out of the bag I pulled:

- Netgear DG834 v3
- BT Voyager 2091 (it says Wireless ADSL Router on the box)
- ADSL modem SmartAX MT882 ( With TalkTalk name on top)
- OfficeConnect ADSL wirelessb 54Mbps 11g Firewall router

After connecting to the mains they all came alive but do not know yet if the will do the "connecting" job.

With all this treasure trove stuff came also a big-ish flat BT Home Hub box.

I suppose if I need drivers for any of those devices I can find them on the net and download. Tempted to try those devices one by one but worry that I may mess something up in the process  :-\

Some additional info which may be of use.

I am with BT and IDNet is our service provider currently on the "Home Legacy Fixed LLU" (?)   package (according to info in customers account) but will most certainly have to change it to an ADSL 2+ Home Starter.

Computer is located upstairs above the ground floor room where the master telephone socket is. (that supposed to be an office but have to use as a bedroom for MIL who is too old now to manage the stairs, so occupies the ground floor - not much tech. info in that but means that I can not relocate the computer).
The main computer is the one we use and I am unlikely to use broadband simultaneously on another computer (though wouldn't mind to use it also on my laptop if it was easy to do)

IDNet availability checker came up with " Your exchange is enabled for 33Mb* IDNet Fibre Broadband"

Oh, and one of the main things that I would like to retain with my new internet connection is to be able to use Skype  for my computer to computer free calls (heard somewhere that not all routers/modems allow that !!!???).

If a plug them and play approach is safe and unlikely to mess anything up in my then I am happy to give it a go.

In anticipation....
Yours truly.......
Stephanie  8-)

Ps. Made a lovely apple pie today for His birthday - anyone who thinks they can not bake, don't have time etc or would not play with rolling the home made pastry feel free to ask for a fool proof, easy and quick instructions.
Stephanie

"Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind . . . . and the ones that mind don't matter"

Rik

Hi Stephanie

A router is actually shorthand for a modem/router. As the correct term implies, it consists of two parts, a modem to make the ADSL connection with the 'net, and a router to distribute it amongst your computers. It also provides added security with a firewall and a few other tricks. The stats that we so like are, in fact, available from your modem, but easier to get at with a router.

I'd suggest starting off with the Netgear, as it's the easiest to configure. You  don't need any drivers or disks, just plug it into the ethernet port on your computer and you can start setting it up. There's a guide here:

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,1904.msg37794.html#msg37794

Once you have the connection established, it would be worth checking with the Netgear site for updated firmware.

The legacy LLU package is a new one to me.

You should have no problems  with Skype. :)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

home102938

Hi Rik

:thnks: :solved:  and without exposing me to any scary technical terms - how gente of you  ;)
I should have done a search here for Netgear though but with your explanation and IDNet instructions as well all went swimmingly and I am now a proud owner of a really fast broadband - at last!

Now may have a look at networking my hardware and the old laptop - as soon as I figure out where to start  ??? (not sure if I can do it without a wireless connections)

Thanks again and have a great weekend

Stephanie 8-)
Stephanie

"Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind . . . . and the ones that mind don't matter"

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.