No connection

Started by Joel, Dec 03, 2011, 14:46:55

Previous topic - Next topic

nowster

Same here on Aberdaron (NW Wales) exchange (8Mbps ADSL). It looks like a backhaul fault to me.

Baz

ok here    north east  :dunno:

davej99

Down here in Perthshire. 20CN. First showed as stale session. Rebooted with sync but no PPOA connection/logon. I guess we need IDNET to take a look so we no not chase our tails.

Steve

I'm down as well 01778 sync but no PPPOE  adslmax.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

There's nothing on the network status feed, so it could be a BT fault or a problem at IDNet. Both my lines, one BT, one Telefonica are fine, so in the first place I'd suggest powering routers down for 15-30 minutes to clear stale sessions. If that doesn't work, contact the out of hours service.
Rik
--------------------

lozcart

It seems to be affecting customers on 8Mbps ADSL, has anyone on ADSL2 have a problem?

Maiku

Down here - 01733 8mb adsl max.
Interestingly my ppp log shows me connected to Milton Keynes, I assume thats a BT endpoint or something.

Called out of hours support, 5 minute hold time, they are very much aware of it, says its a wide scale issue with lots of calls so far. Didnt bother with any details except a call back number and dsl line number so looks like they already got a long list of people.

Using mobile BB now, which is horrible slow. Worse than dialup.
Sept 22nd 2011, IDNet 8mb ADSL max. Draytek vigor 100 & a Soekris net4801.

Rik

It's a BT 21CN node.

I've advised IDNet direct.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

OK, I've just heard back from IDNet, there's been a BT outage somewhere, they haven't had the fault report, but it's caused stale sessions, so go down the 15-30 minute power down route in the first place.
Rik
--------------------

Rudds

Bloody hell just got in with a tip on a horse and couldn't get on my ladbrokes account ??? and guess what! yes it bloody well won sh*t :'(, thanks IDnet!!!

You may have guessed I'm off too here in South Leicestershire as well. Back on the good old mobile for now but its so slow hope its back on soon cause I got something to bid on ebay.
Paul

pctech

You can't really blame IDNet for BT's problems.

scook94

Just powered back on after having the router off for 20 mins. No joy. I'll try it again for longer.
Steven
--------

Rik

Call support, that should have been enough and I know they are having to reset some sessions manually.
Rik
--------------------

scook94

Thanks Rik, just about to drop Carol off at work so if it's still the same when I get back I'll give them a call!
Steven
--------

Rudds

Hi
Quote from: Rik on Dec 03, 2011, 16:07:27
OK, I've just heard back from IDNet, there's been a BT outage somewhere, they haven't had the fault report, but it's caused stale sessions, so go down the 15-30 minute power down route in the first place.
Hi Rik, How are you mate?
My neighbour who's with BT says he has connection, Am I right in thinking that if it were a BT problem he would be down also or is that too logical in the technological world. ???

Paul
Paul

pctech

BT routing depends on whch ISP one uses.

BT Broadband routing is different to IDNet because the traffic is offloaded at their nearest point of presence which are dotted around the country.

IDNet's traffic is backhauled to a central location

Rik

I'm OK, thanks, Paul. As Mitch says, BT's retail routing is different to BT's wholesale routing plus, I get the sense that this may only be affecting people on ADSL (20CN) connections, not 21CN, but there's not enough information to be sure from the posts.
Rik
--------------------

Joel

doing the powe down test now, but past time no one rang back and the power down didn't work. phoned again and they reset the session. hopefully won't need that this time.
if it works ill post back.

Maiku

Had modem off for 31 mins - still no joy, not had a call back either so may give them another call in a min.

edit
Support number is engaged lol. Must still be a lot of people calling.
Sept 22nd 2011, IDNet 8mb ADSL max. Draytek vigor 100 & a Soekris net4801.

Rudds

Thanks for that explanation guys makes sense now you point it out. :thumb:

Paul

davej99

Perhaps best not to reboot too much, till we know fault is clear, to avoid trashing profile One reboot should be sufficient to clear the stale session. I think router will keep trying to logon on after that, till successfull?

Rik

Quote from: Joel on Dec 03, 2011, 16:37:32
doing the powe down test now, but past time no one rang back and the power down didn't work. phoned again and they reset the session. hopefully won't need that this time.
if it works ill post back.

The OOH support people are not meant to promise call backs, IDNet have had words with them. They pass the info to the on call IDNet technician, who concentrates on fixing the problems, not making calls.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: davej99 on Dec 03, 2011, 16:43:10
Perhaps best not to reboot too much, till we know fault is clear, to avoid trashing profile One reboot should be sufficient to clear the stale session. I think router will keep trying to logon on after that, till successfull?

It should, Dave.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: Maiku on Dec 03, 2011, 16:39:41
Had modem off for 31 mins - still no joy, not had a call back either so may give them another call in a min.

edit
Support number is engaged lol. Must still be a lot of people calling.

Try email.
Rik
--------------------

sat_mad

Status page has been updated finally to say some lines are down.  Presumably that means rebooting won't work?