Is upgrade to adsl2+ working?

Started by zipp37, Jan 07, 2012, 15:05:45

Previous topic - Next topic

zipp37

On friday my line was upgraded from adsl to adsl+2 but it seems to me that it is still working on normal adsl. Wondering if anyone might clear it up for me?

Router: Netgear DGN2200
connection speed:  downstream 8064 kbps, Upstream 448 kbps
line attenuation: downstream 35.0 db, upstream 15.5 db
noise margin: downstream 12.3 db, upstream 23.0 db

Speedtester results:  Download speedachieved during the test was - 6555 Kbps
                             For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2000-7150 Kbps.
                             Additional Information: Your DSL Connection Rate :8064 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
                             IP Profile for your line is - 7114 Kbps

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 365 Kbps
                             Additional Information: Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 448 Kbps

I was hoping for better figures but this is not what is bothering me! In adsl settings i can set the router to auto, adsl, adsl2 or adsl2+.
If i set to auto or adsl it works as above but if try to connect via adsl2 or adsl2+ the router just doesnt sync at all. Does this mean I
am still stuck on Adsl?

Thx
David

esh

When I installed an ADSL2+ router here, it connected to that automatically, so I would wager your connection has not been upgraded for some reason.

How do you know your line has been upgraded? LLU connections support ADSL2+ always, I believe, but with normal BT lines it varies between exchange. If you are going by BT schedule dates, then they are very unreliable. Either way, it seems you're still on ADSL Max.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

mervl

AFAIK the 448kbps upstream indicates it's still ADSL (not ADSL2/2+). You'd expect upstream to rise to the 600-1200 range. Put the relevant details from your router into this to see what could be achievable for downloads: http://www.farina1.com/adsl/ .

Again I gather upgrading of lines isn't automatic on the upgrading of the exchange. It has to be ordered by the customer or requested by the ISP. I'm not sure what IDNet's policy is.

zipp37

Quote from: esh on Jan 07, 2012, 15:31:41
When I installed an ADSL2+ router here, it connected to that automatically, so I would wager your connection has not been upgraded for some reason.

How do you know your line has been upgraded? LLU connections support ADSL2+ always, I believe, but with normal BT lines it varies between exchange. If you are going by BT schedule dates, then they are very unreliable. Either way, it seems you're still on ADSL Max.

Well my changeover was scheduled for yesterday and it did go down and come back up at a slightly higher rate. Idnet page tells me I'm on Adsl2+ package also.
But yea it does seem like im still on adsl.

Steve

:welc: :karma:

The other possibility is that for some reason they switched you to adsl2+ but profiled your line as adslmax (which they can) but I guess perhaps nothing has happened at all.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Ray

Ray
--------------------

esh

I would probably drop IDNet an email. They kindly explained to me that my router didn't support ADSL2+ at the time, which is why I upgraded. So if you can't support it for some reason, they should be able to tell you why, otherwise there might need to be a switch flicked somewhere at the exchange even if your line supports it now.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Rik

Welcome to the forum, Zipp. :welc: :karma:

My best guess would be that BT haven't properly configured your circuit, either phone support or drop them an email, but they won't be able to do anything for you till Monday morning, unfortunately. It is possible that the router is the issue, so it's worth checking you have the latest firmware. (Incidentally, always try and avoid Friday activation dates with BT as, if anything does go wrong, you're stuck with it till Monday!). ;)
Rik
--------------------

MisterW

Not being an Idnet customer I'm not sure how they go about provisioning transfers from 20CN to 21CN but
QuoteIP Profile for your line is - 7114 Kbps
That is a new style 88.2% profile , ONLY used on 21CN.
My guess is the you've been transferred to 21CN but provisioned on ADSL1, hence your speeds haven't changed.
QuoteAFAIK the 448kbps upstream indicates it's still ADSL (not ADSL2/2+).
Nope, its quite possible to provision an upstream cap of 448k on ADSL2+.
QuoteIdnet page tells me I'm on Adsl2+ package also.
I'd guess that actually means you're on a 21CN connection. There is a lot of confusion regarding 21CN and ADSL2+. ADSL2+ means its 21CN but 21CN doesn't necessarily mean it's ADSL2+. It's possible to provision 21CN on ADSL1 which is more or less the same as the old 20CN ADSLMAX.
As others have said, you need to contact support to establish what's happened.

zipp37

Apparently I am on adsl2+ and sadly my line wont allow for any improvement. Thx all for the help/advice.

Rik

:( Thanks for letting us know.
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Thanks , however can you recall your adsl downstream sync and margin. Just that I notice the downstream margin is sitting at 12 on adsl2+ and the downstream attenuation of 35 would ideally give a you much higher sync on adsl2+ of 10-11k.
Steve
------------

MisterW

QuoteApparently I am on adsl2+ and sadly my line wont allow for any improvement. Thx all for the help/advice.
Sorry, I'm not convinced, that sync of 8064 is suspicious, its the maximum interleaved sync on ADSL1 and as Steve says your downstream margin is raised. That could be either because your line is noisy OR more likely your speed is capped beacuse its restricted to ADLS1 and hence there is more headroom for the SNR.
Does the DGN2000 give the ADSL mode anywhere , it'll be something like G.DMT or G.992.x
Does this display give any more info http://192.168.0.1/RST_stattbl.htm ?

With an attenuation of 35db you should be capable of much higher speeds on ADSL2+.

Steve

Certainly it used to be the case that if the line struggled on adsl2+ it took a while before being re-profiled back to adsl.
Steve
------------

MisterW

I didn't think it would ever automatically go back to ADSL1. If it struggles on ADSL2+(G.992.5) it will fall back to ADSL2(G.992.3) automatically but AFAIK to go back to ADSL1(G.992.1) needs a manual reprovision order to BTw.

Steve

Sorry I wasn't clear, we used to see the instability and banded profile imposition prior to the decision to re profile back to adsl1. Have things changed I wonder is there now some other determinants of adls2+ suitability rather than trial and error.
Steve
------------

MisterW

No, I don't believe anything has changed. There is however a tendancy when migrating from 20CN to 21CN to assess the line capability and decide on ADSL2+ or ADSL1 based on whether the line is likely to benefit from ADSL2+. It's usually ADSL2+ if the line alraedy synchs > 4M.

From the stats posted, both you(Steve) and I believe zipp's line is more than capable of higher speeds.
I'm still convinced that zipp's line is ADSL1 and that someone in support is confused with the potential difference between ADSL2+ and 21CN, I've seen it all too often with other ISP's support but have, obviously, no experience with IDNet support. I've also seen occasions when BTw's systems have the wrong info and say the line is ADSL2+ when its actually ADSL1!.

If we can get the actual ADSL mode from the router that will be the definitive answer...

zipp37

Just had a call from a nice chap at idnet! Apparentley it was set to adsl and now he has changed this and I should see improvement overnight.
Thanks all once again.

Steve

Let us know how it performs on adsl2+ :fingers:
Steve
------------

MisterW

Quoteand I should see improvement overnight
That's good news, post your routers stats again please, once the change has happened.

Rik

BT did misconfigure the circuit and will correct it overnight.  :fingers: :fingers: :fingers: :fingers: :fingers: :fingers:
Rik
--------------------

psp83

Rik

Some say that, others know them.  ;)
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Quote from: Rik on Jan 09, 2012, 17:46:37
BT did misconfigure the circuit and will correct it overnight.  :fingers: :fingers: :fingers: :fingers: :fingers: :fingers:

I guess adsl is the default profile unless the customer asks the ISP for the switch to adsl2+
Steve
------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------