wireless printers and network printing

Started by zimmerframe, Mar 14, 2012, 13:23:34

Previous topic - Next topic

zimmerframe

I just had a phone call from my son asking about buying/using a wireless printer. 
He is with BT business, (poor thing, I have tried to tell him) and uses their hub/router to connect two PCs via ethernet cat5 to the internet.  The hub has wireless connection capability too. 

He asked if he bought a wireless printer, if he could then print from each of his PCs to it.  As the hub is a wireless access point I wasn't sure if he could and thought he may need wireless dongles on each PC to do this?

Can anyone help or advise?  Also, can you re comend a reasonable low price wireless inkjet printer?

Thanks.

If The World Didnt Suck, We'd all Fall Off

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

zappaDPJ

If the hub has a wireless connection, any device connected to the network, be it wired or wireless, should be able to communicate with the printer if it has the appropriate drivers installed. I have two laptops and two PCs all capable of printing via a cheap Epson Stylus SX235W which comes with built in WiFi & scanner (£34.99 from PC World).

zap
--------------------

Lance

The short answer is yes he can print from both computers (and any other computers connected to the network at a later point). I would only look at Canon or HP printers.
Lance
_____

Simon

I have a Brother wireless printer, and it works flawlessly from my wireless laptop. 
Simon.
--

Gary

I have a Canon MG6250 and it works well, I have mine plugged directly into my router as its below it, but  wifi works equally well.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

zimmerframe

Thanks all, pretty much as I suspected.  I just wasnt sure enough to tell him yes ;)

I imagine then that once attached, each PC would then search for a network attached printer?

If The World Didnt Suck, We'd all Fall Off

psp83

I have a Kodak ESP 5250 and its a good network printer.

Quote from: zimmerframe on Mar 15, 2012, 12:08:55
I imagine then that once attached, each PC would then search for a network attached printer?

No, on each PC you will have to "add a printer" from the control panel & following the steps.

Or use the software that comes with the printer

D-Dan

You may want to consider a wireless MFP which will give access to the scanner, too, also wirelessly.
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's