150 or 300 Mbps?

Started by camdave, Jun 01, 2012, 13:15:08

Previous topic - Next topic

camdave

Hi

Further to my post (in Help) re. upgrade to ADSL2+ I am definately looking to go wireless - either Netgear or TP-Link.
We have two desktops plus occasional use of a laptop and no file transfers, massive downloads or networked printers.
Should I go for 150 Mbps, the cheaper option, or 300 Mbps?

Thanks

JB

I'm using one of these:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TD-W8960N-300MBPS-Wireless-connections/dp/B0031SUB4S/ref=pd_cp_computers_0

I'm happy with the way it works and the Amazon reviews are overall very good. There is a newer model (8961N) but it has much less favourable reviews.

JB

'Keyboard not detected ~ Press F1 to continue'

camdave

Just for interest; I decided to buy the TP-Link TD-W8960N plus a High Gain USB adaptor all for £51.00 from Amazon.
Set up this afternoon was really straightforward and so far two desktops and one laptop all connecting OK.
Strangely, my download speed is the same but the upload has increased marginally compared with my Netgear.

JB

That's good to hear. It will be interesting to see if there are any changes over time. I'm not sure what chipset the Netgear uses but fairly certain the TP-Link uses a Broadcom set.

Hope it gives you good service.
JB

'Keyboard not detected ~ Press F1 to continue'

nowster

802.11n is much better at bidirectional communications than 802.11g, I find. And the "connection speed" is much closer to what you actually get through the connection (for probably the same reason).