garbled page

Started by Baz, Jun 16, 2012, 19:07:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Baz

I have tried to look at a friends twitter page and just get a load of symbols/black diamonds with ? marks/capital letters/random stuff etc.

whats all that about
:dunno:

Simon

Clear your cache.  :)

Either that, or it's an encoding / language issue.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Baz

no that didnt work Simon

even the main twitter page is the same

what should the encoding be set to in FF do you know

at the minute its view/character encoding/Unicode (UTF-8)

pctech

What browser are you using Baz?

Baz

sorry just changed the last post

firefox

pctech

Check View > Character Encoding and set it to Unicode (UTF-8) ans then press F5 to refresh.

Baz

pctech

System restart might not be a bad idea.

That's very odd

Checked the twitter homepage and no issue here.

zappaDPJ

It could be that FF can't render the selected font for that page. Try Options > Options > Content > Default Font: (Advanced). There are number of options you can change but I'd start with toggling the check box (Allow pages... blah). If that does fix it post back as it means there is more to do :)
zap
--------------------

Baz

No that didnt work Zap

Steve

Can you try zooming out on the webpage to make the text smaller and then see if it renders correctly , it's possibly a font that FF cannot display correctly, the problem then is finding which one.
Steve
------------

zappaDPJ

That could well be it if it's trying to render a bit mapped font. I really would have thought the answer was somewhere on the Options menu I linked as I'm pretty sure it's a font issue rather than a browser/site problem.
zap
--------------------

Baz

Quote from: Steve on Jun 16, 2012, 22:27:16
Can you try zooming out on the webpage to make the text smaller and then see if it renders correctly , it's possibly a font that FF cannot display correctly, the problem then is finding which one.

no not that either Steve.

ive looked through every thing on the options menu and just cant see what it could be.Just to add more to it, the same page loads ok in IE :)

I did see a similar problem in a forum some where that mentioned it was linked to a problem with Helvetica font but I dont have that and havent used it for years,thought it had been changed to Arial or similar  :dunno:

Its no great problem but would be good to get it sorted

Glenn

Have you tried another browser or computer, Baz?
Glenn
--------------------

Baz

yes works ok in IE Glenn

thats whats puzzling about it

pctech

Remove/reinstall Firefox?

nowster

If you've recently installed or upgraded a software Firewall/Scanner, try turning it off. It's probably interfering with the gzip compression that Firefox has negotiated for that page.

Baz

Hmmm  yeah thought of that pctech but seems a bit excessive if its only for a few sites...if that.

Baz

Quote from: nowster on Jun 17, 2012, 14:54:19
If you've recently installed or upgraded a software Firewall/Scanner, try turning it off. It's probably interfering with the gzip compression that Firefox has negotiated for that page.

the only updates ive done are anti virus and spy/malware programs

pctech

I don't use Twitter so can't help that much.

Baz

no probs.thanks for trying every one it might be one of those that just sorts itself out, i'll let you know  :thumb: