Second router

Started by Bill, Jun 21, 2012, 21:57:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

I feel very vulnerable with only one decent router (the Billion 7800N), but a post over in tbb suggested the ASUS RT-N66U.

There's a demo of the GUI here: http://service.asus.com/demoui/RT-N66U/EN/index.html

It would be nice to have 5GHz wireless again... anybody using one, or have any comments?

(Apart from "It's a bit pricey!" :P )
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Bill

Nobody care to comment? Ah well, never mind... found someone on tbb who is using one and is very impressed.

With that and some excellent reviews, I'll hopefully have 5GHz wireless again sometime this week :thumb:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

FritzBox

Cheap tat compared to a Fritz 7390  :thumb:

Bill

The 7390 is a bit slow though... only 300Mbps wireless and 10/100Mbps WAN :P
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

FritzBox

Quote from: Bill on Jun 30, 2012, 17:13:03
The 7390 is a bit slow though... only 300Mbps wireless and 10/100Mbps WAN :P

That GUI is good fun, makes me want to buy one

The 5ghz on the Fritz doesn't really work too well at mine, but for any serious file transfers I use homeplugs anyhow

Gary

Quote from: Bill on Jun 21, 2012, 21:57:09
I feel very vulnerable with only one decent router (the Billion 7800N), but a post over in tbb suggested the ASUS RT-N66U.

There's a demo of the GUI here: http://service.asus.com/demoui/RT-N66U/EN/index.html

It would be nice to have 5GHz wireless again... anybody using one, or have any comments?

(Apart from "It's a bit pricey!" :P )
Looks good, 5Ghz will always have shorter range but this router has a ton of features, I have gone back to 2.4Ghz wirless n as I have my iMac connected by Ethernet these days. Tbh running at 145Mbps on my old router seems fine even for gaming, but for a bit of future proofing that router looks excellent.  :thumb:
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Bill

It's probably got more features than I'll ever use tbh, but future-proofing was part of the reason for the choice. You never know, one day I might have a 330Mbps FTTP connection, and then the Billion would seem crippled!

It didn't really affect the choice but it's also a very nice looking router. As opposed to the Billion, which must be a contender for the ugliest one I've ever owned :eek4:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

FritzBox

It's interesting, I'm not sure what a home user would use a 330 connection for. Must admit I'm at a bit of a loss to know what to do with 40

Gary

Quote from: Bill on Jun 30, 2012, 19:01:18
It's probably got more features than I'll ever use tbh, but future-proofing was part of the reason for the choice. You never know, one day I might have a 330Mbps FTTP connection, and then the Billion would seem crippled!

It didn't really affect the choice but it's also a very nice looking router. As opposed to the Billion, which must be a contender for the ugliest one I've ever owned :eek4:
Be great to hear what you think of it when you get it, I need new router at a point that is IPV6 capable, looks wise my wife would not scream 'ugly' at that one either  ;) I can only dream of such speeds as no sign of FTTP where I live, still.  :'(
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Bill

I'll certainly post some comments when I've got it up and running to my satisfaction, but don't expect a review of the features- for one thing I don't have the facilities and for another I don't even understand half of them! :dunno:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Steve

I suppose I'm semi-interested if the IPv6 is working with IDNet,quick look and Dabs have it for £138 inc VAT. I currently use a bridged AEBS to provide 5GHz which works well in combination with the 7800N plus the AEBS extended wireless to my Time capsule performs exceptionally well with excellent throughput and low latency. The Time Capsule is probably past it's expiry date as its 1st Generation and the power supply should have expired a year ago so it's on borrowed time and I think I'll definitely replace that first.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.