New Router Question

Started by sparky, Jul 12, 2012, 10:03:16

Previous topic - Next topic

sparky

I know that peoples opinions vary, you only have to look at some of the comments on Amazon to see that, but I was hoping some of you techies on here might be able to offer me some advice.

Having "bricked" my trusty Netgear with a firmware upgrade and tried every suggestion that Netgear support could offer and every suggestion that i could get on the internet, time is money so to speak, I have now given up on it. I am currently using an old Speedtouch 585 V6 which gives me a less stable connection, but a a slightly better speed, which is good as far as I am concerned. I would prefer to buy myself a nice new router and keep this one as a backup. I am on a long line, my guess is about 3.5kms and it's prone to noise. I'd like the fastest connection that I could get, not necessarily the stable'ist, but obviously I don't want reconnects that often that it slugs my IP profile. These are my current stats:-

Uptime: 5 days, 15:17:20
Modulation: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 4,064
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 87.33 / 668.09
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 50.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 16.0 / 12.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 2 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 26 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 101,664
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1,335
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1,259

I have no more than about £80 to play with.  I have been looking at the Billion 7300n and the Netgear DGN2200. Has anyone got experience with either of these on long lines and/or offer any advice as to anything else that might be a better buy?

Thanks.

Lance

I used to run a Netgear DGN2200 without a problem on a shorter line so can't comment on performance on a longer line.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

sparky

Is it still true that Broadcom chipset modems are better on longer lines?

Maybe that explains the extra few hundred kbs I am getting from my old Speedtouch 585 ?

FritzBox

A V1 2700 with SBC firmware is great on a long line

If you could get hold of one of course

Guy selling some on fleabay. You would have to flash it yourself, and double check that that is the actual item

http://tinyurl.com/busvnas

sparky

Postage £18 !!  He's having a laugh isn't he   :laugh:

Steve

He's probably including the canoe costs. ;)
Steve
------------

FritzBox

Quote from: sparky on Jul 14, 2012, 13:18:41
Postage £18 !!  He's having a laugh isn't he   :laugh:

Isn't he just. I used to send them Next Day Special Delivery in a separate box with padding for £9.50, when I used to flash them and sell them

FritzBox

sparky

Ok. There still seems to be plenty around.

I'm a bit confused about versions. If I were to go the 2700 HGV route, what specifically should I be looking for? Should I be asking or looking for particular assembly numbers or serial numbers etc?

This one is a bit more expensive, but it shows the serial numbers http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-2700HGV-54-Mbps-4-Port-10-100-Wireless-G-Router-2Wire-2700HGV-/320941288410?pt=UK_Computing_Wireless_Routers&hash=item4ab9976bda

Many thanks for the help.

FritzBox

As I said the V1 with SBC is the best

Lance

Although many users here found the BT fireware to be fine too.
Lance
_____