Slightly worrying.

Started by Steve, Aug 06, 2012, 06:46:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

I don't use iCloud, I have no need, and tbh don't trust it.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

talos

I dont store any imp inf on line :no:
              Just call it experience :eyebrow:

Simon

Simon.
--

Steve

I think the iCloud part is not the main focus of the issue. Is it not that a password was obtained for an Apple ID and could have a variety of consequences.
Steve
------------

pctech

Slack security policies?

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Aug 06, 2012, 10:52:25
I think the iCloud part is not the main focus of the issue. Is it not that a password was obtained for an Apple ID and could have a variety of consequences.
I had my Netgear account password changed by of all people my mother when I gave her an old router, she phoned up for help, said I was her son and they changed the password to something she wanted when she should have had no access to my account and did not have permission from me, she just said my name! Yesterday when I called to talk the telephone bank peeps the recorded info about my account seemed a bit odd, and the guy said "oh we better sign out of that account" and they started again and this time the figures added up. I had been given the balance of someone else's account! Nothing is as safe as we are led to think it seems

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Steve on Aug 06, 2012, 10:52:25

Very much so. Although it's a worrying report, it would have been far more alarming to read that the account was hacked electronically imho.
zap
--------------------

pctech

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Aug 06, 2012, 16:04:10
Very much so. Although it's a worrying report, it would have been far more alarming to read that the account was hacked electronically imho.

I fear that's only a matter of time Zap

zappaDPJ

Well there's always a risk, you just have to hope as a user (not that I am as yet) that everything possible is being done to minimise the risk.
zap
--------------------

pctech

I would hope that the cavalier attitude that Apple took to issues such as viruses and security issues under Jobs is now gone and that they work to make things as secure as possible and repair stuff when needed.

Lance

Something to remember though Mitch is the company will present an image of itself to the outside world, and have different messages presented internally.

I doubt such an attitude towards viruses was held internally by those tasked with coding the OS to be as secure as possible.
Lance
_____

Niall

Quote from: Lance on Aug 06, 2012, 18:26:03
Something to remember though Mitch is the company will present an image of itself to the outside world, and have different messages presented internally.

I doubt such an attitude towards viruses was held internally by those tasked with coding the OS to be as secure as possible.

And that is what made the former boss an idiot in this respect. The complete lack of respect that he showed on several occasions was disgraceful. He might aswell have said "ah we've got your money, shut up". We all know that, as you say, only a company set on self destruction would internally act as they externally showed themselves. To this day it amazes me to think how they let him act in public. Can you imagine any other company letting their boss basically insult the public/customer base?

Why they couldn't just outwardly say truthful things like it's an issue we take seriously, we're looking at fixing this, etc? Arrogance like that infuriates me, and reminds me of a certain Tory tosser most of us in the UK currently hate.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Gary

Quote from: pctech on Aug 06, 2012, 17:04:22
I fear that's only a matter of time Zap

I fear its the usual.... ::)

zappaDPJ

That's actually quite clever. Hopefully the holes will now be plugged.
zap
--------------------

pctech

You are no doubt correct there Lance but have to agree with Niall too and is generally what I dislike about Apple and generally American companies that have come along since who display the same sort of attitude of superiority over their customers.

Steve

Good job they weren't British companies then , goodness knows how the coalition would cope. Although they do make a fair amount of money which is of course not very British currently.
Steve
------------

pctech

;D

No we just spend a fair bit of money a lot of which is on their products.