media converter

Started by Baz, Aug 22, 2012, 17:51:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Baz

does any one use a decent free one of these or how do you play MP4 files in media player

Steve

Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

john

I use DVDVideosoft which converts most things. It can convert video files to MP4 so I presume it can convert MP4 to other formats too.

Baz

Quote from: john on Aug 22, 2012, 21:01:32
I use DVDVideosoft which converts most things. It can convert video files to MP4 so I presume it can convert MP4 to other formats too.

just tried the video converter piece John and my AV kicked up a warning  :o

Simon

Simon.
--

john

Sorry to hear that Baz, might be worth checking if its false, I've used it for some time without any (known) problems or had any alerts from my AV software.

Lance

Another vote for VLC.
Lance
_____

Baz

23/08/2012 08:12:26   HTTP filter   file   http://download.dvdvideosoft.com/FreeMP4VideoConverter.exe   Win32/Toolbar.Conduit application   connection terminated - quarantined  Threat was detected upon access to web by the application: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe.

this is what my AV is bringing up,i've highlighted the threat part, and also an error window saying the file was not saved as it could not be read....or similar, didnt get a chance to read it properly

Baz

What I need it for is a video for my wife to use at school but the school block access to you tube etc. I have the file in MP4 format but they wont have VLC at the school and for just 1 file I think it would be not worth it to get VLC.They will have media player though.

I do have VLC here but cant think how that will help her.

Steve

I've never used it but it seems many free solutions.  - http://www.jakeludington.com/ask_jake/20090211_how_to_convert_mp4_to_wmv.html
Steve
------------

Baz

that works a treat Steve  thanks   :thumb:

its more than double the size after converting  :o  is that normal  :dunno:

Steve

You mean file size ? If so I would assume it depends on the encode settings as to whether the resultant file is bigger or smaller. Both files are just video containers of compressed video . If the resultant wmv is of the same screen size and quality I wouldn't worry.
Steve
------------

Baz

yeah file size.this might sound daft but how do I find the screen size of them.Right click > properties gives me info on the WMV file but not the MP4

Steve

Open the file with Quicktime player and then select 'show movie inspector'- my guess it's the same on Windows.
Steve
------------

Baz

dont have Quicktime  but found some preferences from within another player that plays it.

bitrate of MP4 is 457 kbps and the WMV is 1159 kbps

Steve

That explains the file size difference. You could if you wanted change the resulting video bit rate during the conversion.
Steve
------------

Baz

yeah might try that on another attempt Steve thanks.

its done now but thats handy to know  :thumb:

stevenrw

I use Pocket Divx Encoder, it has options for different size screens. You might need to experiment a bit as its normally for converting to mp4 not from....

Lance

I sometimes use Handbrake.
Lance
_____

Simon

Same here, especially when on a hill.  :)x
Simon.
--