Film bandwidth

Started by Bill, Oct 05, 2012, 21:35:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

Quote from: psp83 on Oct 05, 2012, 21:15:33
HD all the way, no point in spending all that money on my HD tv otherwise  ;D

I've been looking at Netflix and Lovefilm reviews and I'll probably go for Lovefilm.

Netflix seem to have better quality, but a lower proportion of films available- I'm not greatly interested in old TV programmes except for the occasional documentary I might miss, and I can use iPlayer or 4oD for that.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

pctech

Bill, be warned.

Lovefilm will automatically use as much bandwidth as is available and for HD that might be about 1.7Gb an hour but yes I do agree Netflix is a tad more limited, I queried this with their support (0800 number but routeed to the States) who were very pleasant but told me that 'the studios often make us wait'

pctech

Here's the figures for Netflix

Good quality (up to 0.3 GB per hour)
Better quality (up to 0.7 GB per hour)
Best quality (up to 1 GB per hour, or up to 2.3 GB per hour for HD)

Bill

Quote from: pctech on Oct 05, 2012, 22:22:28
Bill, be warned.

Lovefilm will automatically use as much bandwidth as is available and for HD that might be about 1.7Gb an hour...

That's OK- iPlayer on my PVR does that (haven't tried it on the PS3). If it takes me more than 5 or 6 minutes to decide I don't really want to watch the hour-long HD documentary I've just selected then it's too late- 2GB up the spout :bawl:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

pctech

The downside of superfast broadband eh?

Bill

Yup... but I can live with it ;D
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Simon

Quote from: pctech on Oct 05, 2012, 21:11:18
Looks to me as though its one product for all.

Now I've seen the website properly, yes, I would agree.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

psp83

Is there a big diff in HD quality between Netflix & Lovefilm?

I signed up to Netflix through Quidco. you get £5 back just to sign up and then an extra £15 back for becoming a paying member for 3 months.

Can cancel any time though, so can easily change over to lovefilm

pctech

I don't know Paul

When I used Lovefilm to stream a couple of films I saw about 4 GB disappear.

Steve

I think that they both do 1080p, the key for me would be the film libraries.
Steve
------------

Bill

Quote from: psp83 on Oct 05, 2012, 22:45:08

I really don't know- I'm just going by the Netflix vs Lovefilm reviews I read, but they were all several months old.

I wouldn't expect Amazon to let themselves get left behind though... They've got a free 1 month trial offer on at the moment, maybe worth giving them a try?
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

psp83

Just signed up, will stream a film later and let you know.

Steve

HD quality from iTunes is 1080p, the resultant PQ is excellent and it's about 4-5Gb per film. The other bonus is the surround sound. I presume Netflix and LoveFilm is similar.
Steve
------------

Bill

I need to get myself a new AppleTV, mine will only handle 720p... but the bank account is still trembling from having the garden landscaped from scratch  :eek4:

And I want to upgrade my speakers too, got my eye on a couple of KEF Q900s :)
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Technical Ben

Quote from: Bill on Oct 05, 2012, 18:40:17
I've decided to stay, and requested a move to the 100GB package as soon as it's convenient  :)

Funny thing is, my usage for the last few months has dropped to the point where I could safely have dropped to a lower (old) package- for various reasons my intentions to do a lot more movie streaming etc didn't pan out as I expected.

But I still think it's likely to happen and 100GB should be plenty.
More HD nature programs! :D (With the sound off, cos I get annoyed at some of those commentators)
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Bill

Quote from: Technical Ben on Oct 05, 2012, 23:24:13
More HD nature programs! :D (With the sound off, cos I get annoyed at some of those commentators)

I've got a technique for those... I watch in HD, record in SD and if I really like it, buy the Blu-Ray and delete the recording. I've only got 2.5TB of HDD on the PVR and it's filling up!
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

psp83

Quote from: Steve on Oct 05, 2012, 23:07:08
HD quality from iTunes is 1080p, the resultant PQ is excellent and it's about 4-5Gb per film. The other bonus is the surround sound. I presume Netflix and LoveFilm is similar.

Xbox 360:
Netflix = 1080p, 5.1
Lovefilm = 720p, Stereo

PC:
Netflix = 1080p, 5.1
Lovefilm = 1080p, Stereo

Sony Bluray:
Netflix = N/A
Lovefilm = 720p, Stereo

So for quality and sound, Netflix wins.

I will look through the library soon to see what lovefilm offer.

pctech

Lovefilm do have some obscure stuff in their library.

Watched a film called Rubber about a tyre that goes on a killing spree.

Rik

I knew I shouldn't have split the tread. ;D
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Your smiley is bald
Glenn
--------------------

pctech

This thread is really running on flat now.

Bill

Quote from: Rik on Oct 06, 2012, 17:56:58
I knew I shouldn't have split the tread. ;D

Brought to light an interesting "feature" of the forum software- I wasn't subscribed (for email notifications) to the new thread even though I apparently started it!
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Bill

Quote from: Bill on Oct 05, 2012, 22:28:21
That's OK- iPlayer on my PVR does that (haven't tried it on the PS3).

Tried it this pm- the PS3 buffers the programme rather than downloading the whole lot as fast as it can, so less worries about changing my mind after watching part of it.

Oddly, iPlayer on the PS3 won't let me select the BBC HD channel (says that "HD is not available"), but if a programme on one of the other channels is also in HD it will happily let me play it that way. Anyone else seen this or, more importantly, know any way to fix it?
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Niall

Quote from: psp83 on Oct 05, 2012, 22:45:08

I signed up to Netflix through Quidco. you get £5 back just to sign up and then an extra £15 back for becoming a paying member for 3 months.

Can cancel any time though, so can easily change over to lovefilm

Oddly enough, a lad in work posted on Facebook last night about the Lovefilm quality. I won't repeat what he said here :D Basically he said that if Lovefilm call that HD, he must have cataracts :D
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

psp83

Lovefilm HD quality is worse than Netflix HD and you can notice it.

I've also had a good look through the Lovefilm library and to be honest, I liked more films on Netflix than I did on Lovefilm.

So I think at the end of the month I will be cancelling Lovefilm and keeping Netflix.