So there I was

Started by Niall, Nov 06, 2012, 21:55:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Niall

...gone :D

Seriously though, I was toddling to work this morning (late as usual) and suddenly something I'd seen every day since last Thursday finally clicked in my tiny brain. The openreach van man wasn't fixing a cabinet, he was preparing to install the fibre cabinets. The reason it only clicked this morning is that there were holes next to the old cabinet with new piping, and 200 yards further down the road, another hole next to the old cabinet and another openreach van.

The next cabinet on the road is mine, and I forgot to check if there was a hole there ;D Soon my pretty, nippy speeds will be mine ;D
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Glenn

They are stopping at the cabinet before yours, funds have dried up. :evil:
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

Or they'll just say "Niall is doomed to sub 12 Meg forever, bah ha ha ha"

:evil:

Niall

Noooooo! ;D

I think mine is the last along the line by here before the other Wrexham exchange takes over, so I should be getting done. Makes sense as it's supposed to be all done by 31/12/12.

It's finally happening! I've had this 7800n for ages in preparation ;D
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

sobranie

Am reliably informed that you are viwing the new 12K dial up system which is being trialled in your road.  :evil:

Niall

Haha ;D

I left for work this morning, late yet again (I cannot wake up lately!) and there was some equipment by a BT road cover at the bottom of the estate. I'll have a nose at the cabinet at the top when I get home late tonight. I'm working overtime everyday for a month so I can upgrade my PC. Cut off is in one week and I'm still about £300 short. December will be quite quiet ;D
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Den

We were supposed to be up and running by the end of March and then September. The cabinet was finished on the end of the road about two months ago and I am still waiting. Don't hold your breath Niall as the dates don't seem to mean a thing.  :shake:
Mr Music Man.

Niall

Yeah, I think they're installing all cabinets before switching on.  A lad from work today who's on the same exchange as you said the same thing. The only thing I can think of is that they're getting all hardware in place first.

Also I found this a minute ago: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/broadband/377995/uk-scientists-turn-existing-fibre-up-to-20gbits-sec?DCMP=NLC-Newsletters&utm_campaign=pcpro_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Niall

Oh I forgot to mention, my mate who is much further from the exchange but within more or less the same distance of the cabinet as I am, is getting vastly different speed quotes. The BT checker is telling him that his line supports 65mb where my result is 27mb. How the hell does that work?!
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Steve

You may not be connected to the same cabinet, speeds are estimated from your current stats ( not valid as it's not live), Postcodes and distance from the cabinet and completely wrong estimates. Sadly the problem with the nearest cabinet doesn't necessarily mean your connected through it.
Steve
------------

Niall

I'd be happy with that anyway. I just want faster uploads. File sizes for photos taken with 20mp sensors are quite large. Took me 5 hours to upload my mates band photos last time!
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

D-Dan

You mean there are still people with ADSL connections out there? Damn, you'll be telling me you still smoke cigarettes (instead of vaping) and that you still have gas guzzling trains instead of efficient electric trams, next.
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

Niall

I'm wondering now if we'll even get a cabinet at the top of our estate now. I looked before and at some point the cabinet there has been removed and swapped with a tiny thing, about 1ft wide and 2ft tall. There WAS a newer cabinet there (the ones that replaced the old iron looking rusty green things from the 70s). Maybe the reason it's saying 27mb to me isn't because it's a guess based on my line, but purely because I'm now connected to a cabinet 400 yards away, instead of the 30 yards I used to be.

It would also explain why my line suddenly went cr*p a while ago. Hmm.
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Steve

The projected speed does fit with a cabinet some distance away, however BTs estimates on new cabinets are often conservative.They told me at least 30mbps I sync at 42mbps.
Steve
------------

Niall

Ah well, 5-6mb upload and anything over 20mb down will be fine by me. It's better than what I have, and unless some new ultra bandwidth heavy product comes out, I can't see me needing much more really.

Annoyingly I still need to upgrade my PC. I'll have got 26 hours overtime in this month, but sods law an unexpected bill cropped up which wiped out ALL of that pay. £250 CPU, £113 mobo, £100 ram (give or take). Plus I want to get a Stratocaster guitar :( Anyone got any spare money for my happy happy fund? :D
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Steve

FTTC is normally very stable as well, you definitely will enjoy the higher uploads.
Steve
------------

pctech

Quote from: Steve on Nov 08, 2012, 22:09:58
The projected speed does fit with a cabinet some distance away, however BTs estimates on new cabinets are often conservative.They told me at least 30mbps I sync at 42mbps.

Maybe they are fed up of being gummed by ofcom. (Ofcom has no teeth)

Steve

It probably reduces the level of complaints as people are happy when they get faster than the projection.
Steve
------------