IPv6 and Draytek 2850

Started by jm_paulin, Nov 29, 2012, 18:42:58

Previous topic - Next topic

jm_paulin

Hi there,

I have been playing up with IPv6 for a while, and I cannot get the router to get an IPv6 address allocated. The Draytek offers a wide range of options like: PPP, TSPC, AICCU, DHCPv6 Client and Static IPv6.

- The dead simple one is PPP, which does not manage to get any IPv6 from IDNet.
- DHCPv6 Client asks for an IAID. I put a random number in it and that does not work. Draytek tells me my ISP should provide it. My ISP tell me to check with the router manufacturer. My reading was that IAID is a client IPv6 stack parameter, and is used as a simple way to ensure the same address is always assigned to a given client.

Other options requires some username/password and the IP of some tunnel machine. I gave up.

I believe that PPP is what I need for the router, and that IDNet should allocate me with the IPv6 config during the PPPoE negociation.

Now, pushing that further, shall I have all the IPv6 on my intranet allocated by IDNet, or shall I run my own DHCPv6 Server to allocate addresses on my LAN ? Interrestingly, the machines on my own LAN have an IPv6 address, starting with 2a02:390:.... I am not sure where that comes from.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

JM

mervl

As no-one else has replied yet, I had trouble getting an IPv6 allocation having set up the router appropriately, and found that IDNet had not set up my account for IPv6, although they state that this is available to all users. Worth a call or e-mail to support to check perhaps? Once set up all options became available. I believe IDNet's IPv6 allocations are dynamic though?

jm_paulin

Thanks for the reply meryl, but IDNet already checked and according to support it is correctly configured on my line. IDnet gives us a /48 block of addresses for us to play with. That will keep me occupied for a while I reckon.

I am down to logs in the router and we can see timeouts. I am trying to get draytek support to give me some pointers on what to ask IDNet next. I guessed the correct option to try is PPP (rather than DHCPv6) for the router. Draytek has tested IPv6 over PPP with AA, and they say it works. Maybe the PPP timeout is too short for IDNet and need `tweaking` but this is a pure guess...

Did you have any success with IPv6?

JM

NickVF

Don't know about Draytek but I use Tomato for IPV6 using "DHCPv6 with prefix delegation" prefix length 48.

I'm a bit hazy on what is exactly doing what but I also have Router Advertisments accepted from the WAN and turned on for my own LAN.

Windows machines picked up ipv6 addresses fine but Ubuntu had a problem

which was fixed by: http://timesinker.blogspot.com/2009/11/karmic-ipv6-global-address-problems.html

Currently been up for 110 days without problem.

Steve

Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

mervl

Sorry I don't know about the Draytek either as I use a Fritz! which works with IPv6 with no problem. Setting is to automatic for native IPv6 (as provided by IDNet, though also works on a dual stack setting, but not with tunnelled IPv6 - which I gather is for access to IPv6 sites with a provider who only provides IPv4 addressing): "Automatically negotiate a global address described as:

First FRITZ!Box attempts to determine the global address from the router advertisement of the provider [this works]. Then an address is requested via DHCPv6. If this fails, an address from the first /64 subnet of the determined prefix is used."

But others seem to have problems with Draytek routers and getting an IPv6 address for the router (although I seem to recall in my experience  the connected PCs could get an "address" even if the router didn't - but no access)! AFAIK I'm using PPPoA authentication though (with IDNet), not PPPoE which with the Fritz! can cause problems, I gather. 

jm_paulin

Just what seems to be my problem. machines on my LAN can get an IPv6 address within the IDNet provided range, but the router does not get an IPv6. As a result, machines on my LAN are not pingable from the internet using IPv6, but they can ping each others.

Draytek support is now suggesting to use port mirroring and ethereal to capture the packets... That does not look too good  :'(

JM

jm_paulin

Ok

Looks like the solution is to not use the built-on Draytek modem code, but keep the Openreach modem and plug it into the WAN2 of the Draytek 2850. Totally defeats the point of having a modem/router in the first place, but it looks like this is how to do it.  :-X

Oh dear....

JM

Seadog

Quote from: jm_paulin on Dec 20, 2012, 13:35:53
Ok

Looks like the solution is to not use the built-on Draytek modem code, but keep the Openreach modem and plug it into the WAN2 of the Draytek 2850. Totally defeats the point of having a modem/router in the first place, but it looks like this is how to do it.  :-X

Oh dear....

JM

Hi Everyone,

Well I wish I'd seen these postings before, I've just purchased the Draytek 2860 to replace my trusty old Billion 7800n Router and Openreach FTTC Modem and have exactly the same problems as described above trying to get an IPv6 address assigned to the WAN Port. The internal LAN IPv6 addresses are assigned automatically but not the WAN. I have the IPv6 settings to DHCPv6, is this correct or should it be set to PPP or has this problem been resolved.

Spent all evening pulling my hair out and I'm about to give up... :dunno:

Any help appreciated

Thanks  :)

Steve

Not sure but using the ASUS RT N66U we use PPP and a static IPv6 address on the WAN side , the other option DHCP PD doesn't work but that's to the OpenReach Modem.
Steve
------------

Seadog

Quote from: Steve on Aug 14, 2013, 06:25:50
Not sure but using the ASUS RT N66U we use PPP and a static IPv6 address on the WAN side , the other option DHCP PD doesn't work but that's to the OpenReach Modem.

Thanks Steve, Yes I tried PPP and it seems to be picking up IPv6 Addresses and the Gateway Automatically but not linking this to the Internal Network as I see in the Connection address Statistics that IPv4 is in Green while IPv6 Hex addresses are in Red. I'll just contact Draytek support and ask them as IPv6 works perfectly with my old 7800n.

Cheers for now  ;)

Steve

Interestingly a couple of days ago after installing a beta firmware from RMerlin for the ASUS which included an IPv6 firewall, I managed to get IPv6 to work with the Native DHCP PD option.
Steve
------------