Who should be the DHCPv6 Server: IDNet or my router?

Started by jm_paulin, Dec 17, 2012, 10:56:26

Previous topic - Next topic

jm_paulin

Hi there,

Yes, I am still fighting with IPv6.... I am wondering who should be assign IPv6 address on my LAN. Any idea?

Thanks

JM

pctech

You should be delegated a block which your router should then allocate by DHCP

jm_paulin

Quote from: pctech on Dec 17, 2012, 11:55:09
You should be delegated a block which your router should then allocate by DHCP

Sorry for my ignorance, but is that what RADVD does?

JM

pctech

Steve

I think RADVD allows hosts on an LAN which are set to autoconfigure to do just that.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

NickVF

radvd = Router Advertisement Daemon

The router uses DHCPv6 to give clients an IPv6 address. However it does not give them a gateway (and possibly not DNS).

Hence radvd is used by the router to inform client PCs that the router is a gateway (and maybe DNS)

So in short if you use want clients to autoconfigure with DHCPv6 you also need to configure radv.conf on the router.

jm_paulin

Good,

Looks like I am setup correctly. Router is a Draytek 2850 and i am fighting with Draytek support to get IPv6 working.

Thx

JM

Adrian

I don't know if this is relevant to your problem, but when I recently got IPv6 upon rejoining IDNet, and getting it to talk nicely to IDNet - that's another story, I would get endless stalls when accessing IPv6 sites, such as Facebook. The solution was found with the MTU on my Mac, which had been set for Jumbo frames as I have Gbit ethernet in the house and most of my other computers and and gadgets support jumbo frames. My router, a Billion 7800N had fixed the MTU to 1492 and I found that by changing the MTU on my Macs to 1492 IPv6 worked perfectly.
Adrian

Steve

1492 is the Max MTU for a PPPOE connection as I understand it.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Niall

Quote from: Steve on Jan 12, 2013, 16:34:32
1492 is the Max MTU for a PPPOE connection as I understand it.

Yep, it told me that as I had mine set to 1500 previously, and it forced me to manually change it to that, with that error message.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy