BT Fibre Modem Installation Query

Started by manic23, Dec 22, 2012, 16:17:57

Previous topic - Next topic

manic23

I have BT attending my home soon to fit a Fibre modem for my IDNet Fibre Optic Broadband.  My question is this, will BT need to do any cabling, drilling holes everywhere or will they literally just be installing a modem and configuring it?

Thanks in advance...

Steve

They will install the FTTC modem near the master socket, you will need an adjacent power supply. There is then an ethernet cable run required to your router , BT used to supply a data extension cable whether they still do I've no idea. The engineers can get confused when you don't have a BT Home Hub but as long as you have  a compatible router that can initiate a PPPOE connection via it's wan port you'll be fine!

btw which router do you intend to use?
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

manic23

Thanks for the reply, im using a Netgear WNR2000v2.  Im glad there is no other work needed, I was worried that they may need to run fibre optic cable from the street to my master socket.

MisterW

Make sure the Modem is mounted vertically , they can get a bit warm if sat on a desk, and whatever you do don't put the router on top of the modem...

Steve

Quote from: manic23 on Dec 22, 2012, 18:44:57
Thanks for the reply, im using a Netgear WNR2000v2.  Im glad there is no other work needed, I was worried that they may need to run fibre optic cable from the street to my master socket.

Not unless your going for FTTP. FTTC uses your phone line to the street cabinet and then it's fibre optic from the cabinet.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

manic23

Super, many thanks for the info, greatly appreciated