Odd, unrecognised connection

Started by D-Dan, Jul 02, 2007, 21:17:43

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dan

OK , I occasionally check my full router logs etc for any signs of odd activity. I've found one.

In my connections, as well as my two home machines, I found an entry for lynn-t8uotaob7w. This was NOT on the wireless connection (I have wireless disabled), and I don't recognise it as one I have used (I tend to get called upon to fix people's PCs, which means I occasionally connect their machines to my network).

I'm not ruling out the possibility that I may have simply forgotten one, though has anyone ever come across a rogue wired connection on their system that they simply cannot identify?

Is there a ghost in the machine, or is my memory getting really....erm, what was I saying. Oh, yeah.....bad?

Steve
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

Rik

Hi Steve

I've never met a rogue wired connection, but I suppose it's possible that it could be software generated, eg a virtual machine or a non-Windows boot.

Other than that, I'd blame the price of oil and forget about it. :) Unless it keeps happening, of course.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

cavillas

Quote from: D-Dan on Jul 02, 2007, 21:17:43

lynn-t8uotaob7w.

Does your wife/partner.fiancee etc (have to be PC now) know of this Lynn?  Where did you meet her?  What's she like?  :o ;D
------
Alf :)

Rik

I didn't like to mention that, Cav.  :laugh:
Rik
--------------------

D-Dan

Well, the last woman here was a Lisa, not a Lynn (in fact, I don't think I've ever had a Lynn - but I do upgrade on a regular basis so I may have forgotten one).

Though I do know a Lynn - she's the landlady at the local, and not likely to be someone I'd invite back for some after hours fun (her husband is a friend - mind you, Lisa's B/F is also an acquaintance - what do I sound like - No, really - I'm not that bad. It just sounds bad).

Anyway - the point is I live alone - and the cat can't type - so that rules out internal interference.

Odd - now I'm more worried that Lisa or B/F may be IDNet customers than I am about the rogue connection.

Oh, dear. What have I said?!?
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

Supanova

you got a pocket PC that you recently connected to computer :D ?
"Privacy is dead, deal with it" - CEO Sun MicroSystems

D-Dan

Seriously - the last two computers I had back here were both old, and neither had ethernet capability, so it wasn't them. Before that, I bought a new router - and immediately upgraded the firmware and reset to factory condition.

My exploring of the config pages showed no unusual activity.

the rogue connection has appeared in the last 10 - 14 days, during which my PCs have been a happy couple with no third party involved - as far as I knew.

I can only assume that the odd "lynn" connection was someone now passed over who wished they'd known me. LOL (or maybe had an axe to grind - and now they're grinding it)
Have I lost my way?

Rik

I take it you have done a virus and malware sweep? If the machine is clean, I think I'd put this one to bed, so to speak. :)
Rik
--------------------

D-Dan

Hi Rik

QuoteI take it you have done a virus and malware sweep?

Yeah, I'm kinda paranoid about my computer security, so it's locked up tight as a drum and half as loud.

I think I'm gonna just assume the flat is haunted - or the cat is more intelligent than I thought, and leave it at that :)
Have I lost my way?

Rik

Quote from: D-Dan on Jul 04, 2007, 20:29:35
the cat is more intelligent than I thought

Always a possibility. :)
Rik
--------------------

cavillas

Never trust cats when they are alone.  They are really aliens that run the planet  >:D, why else do we pander to their every whim.  ;D ;D
------

Inactive

Quote from: D-Dan on Jul 04, 2007, 20:29:35
- or the cat is more intelligent than I thought, and leave it at that :)

It could be catastrophic.   ;D
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

I've been mogged!  ;D

G R O A N
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

cavillas

It's time to paws for thought. :P
------

Inactive