bandwidth notification - very high

Started by tfw7, May 09, 2013, 20:26:18

Previous topic - Next topic

tfw7

just got an email telling me I have downloaded 6.23Gb in 6 days, and when I check on the website it confirms this.
I am normally a VERY light user, and rarely get to 4Gb (my limit).
Some of the usage is off peak (so it makes 9Gb in total) when I NEVER am online and all connected devices are off.....

do I assume
1) my network has been hacked - have checked and all seems ok
2) the figures are wildly wrong somehow??

Simon

My suggestion would be to contact IDNet in the morning, and they can look at the bandwidth usage in more detail.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

As Simon has said you need to chat to support it can occasionally be wrong, however if you have WiFi I think it may be wise to change the password and check you've no unprotected guest network on by mistake. Any other householders users who may unwittingly have left something running?
Steve
------------

tfw7

will contact them for sure tomo.
Set up is Wifi network, one wired pc, one wireless connected pc (both off overnight) and 1 phone with occasional wifi use, again off overnight.
Will unplug router in a minute and then contact idnet after work tomo.

thanks for replies

Simon

Bear in mind IDNet support closes at 6pm on Fridays.  I doubt that the out of hours service would be able to help with this, as I don't believe they have access to customer accounts.
Simon.
--

tfw7

thanks, will try and get home by 5pm to ring them then!!

tfw7

well I contacted support yesterday and they could shed no light on it, but just suggested I changed my wifi password etc.
So I have done so, and I guess I will just wait and see, and monitor my usage carefully......

Simon

Odd.  I always thought they could give more details, such as when the biggest download(s) occurred.  :dunno:
Simon.
--

Steve

Well the graphs have gone,however you can still see daily peak and off peak rates.
Steve
------------

tfw7

Quote from: Simon on May 11, 2013, 16:44:24
Odd.  I always thought they could give more details, such as when the biggest download(s) occurred.  :dunno:
yes, that would have been helpful - all they said was "look at the website to see your usage", which of course I had already done

Steve

If you feel you've a genuine case for an error in the data be persistent.
Steve
------------

tfw7

Quote from: Steve on May 11, 2013, 17:27:33
If you feel you've a genuine case for an error in the data be persistent.
well that's just it - I can't find a logical explanation - yes my wifi could have been hacked, but my security settings were safely in place - other than somehow the figures being wrong I cannot think of any other reason for what for me is very high usage, and at unusual times

Steve

Which Wifi encryption protocol are you using?
Steve
------------

tfw7

it was WPA mode auto - have now changed it to WPA2, and only allowed the MAC addresses of the devices I use to have access

Steve

My personal opinion with WPA is that you've not been hijacked,any video streaming possibilities ie iPlayer or Sky box you've missed.
Steve
------------

tfw7

nope, use nothing like that at all. Setup is just 2 desktops only used for email, general surfing; don't download videos/stream etc ,and they don't get left on when not in use (never in use in off peak hours), and 1 smartphone that again is not left connected to wifi.
Am on the starter package with a 4GB limit - I have only gone over this once in the last 6 months, and only 4 times ever in nearly 3 years with Idnet.

Simon

If you look at your bandwidth usage on the website, there is a tab where it gives a daily breakdown.  This may have been what Support were referring you too, and might just give you a clue as to whether it was a one off event, or whether it's an ongoing issue.
Simon.
--

tfw7

Quote from: Simon on May 11, 2013, 19:36:52
If you look at your bandwidth usage on the website, there is a tab where it gives a daily breakdown.  This may have been what Support were referring you too, and might just give you a clue as to whether it was a one off event, or whether it's an ongoing issue.
yes have looked at that - it is increased usage every day so far in May (or at least up to the 9th which is as far as it goes) rather than all in one go

Glenn

Are you able to turn off the wireless for 24hrs?
Glenn
--------------------

tfw7

I did from about 8pm Thurs 9th until 2pm today, the 11th, , thinking I'd then see from the daily breakdown if it showed any usage for the 10th - but so far it is only showing up to the 9th so I can't tell yet

Simon

I wonder if something like TCPView, which shows active network connections, would be of any help to identify any open connections.  Also, what anti virus software are you using?  There's a current issue on the BitDefender forums about it holding onto connections after viewing videos, etc, thus eating bandwidth. 
Simon.
--

tfw7

avira anti virus

earlier today I downloaded "who is on my wifi" and that has just shown up my own devices. Also configured router to only allow recognized MAC addresses (and changed password of course)

have just downloaded TCPview but I have to confess I don't really know what I am looking for...

Simon

I also have to confess, neither do I, but I guess there shouldn't be any unidentified connections when all browser windows are closed.  My thinking was that perhaps something might be constantly attempting to update?
Simon.
--

andrue

You could set this up on your computers:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html

Sadly there isn't a way to have it monitor at the router but it will tell you if your computers are downloading while they are running. What modem/router do you use? Some of them support something called SNMP (Simple Network Monitoring Protocol)

This software can use that:

http://www.paessler.com/bandwidth_monitoring

mervl

Again it only works as the individual PC level but I use Netlimiter (free full use for 7 days trial, which I think allows blocking of individual programs which might help to test the suspected rogue if you can identify it - but monitoring function still works with the limited functionality thereafter). It takes the bandwidth monitoring down to the individual programme level, as well as the aggregate for the device on which it's loaded. (v2 if still available may be easier to set up than the more complicated UI of v3 - but I've managed to set up both on different devices over the time I've been using it for a couple of years). My Android smartphone (using ics/JB) has the same function by default, I think.

(EDIT :slap: Sadly though the only rogue it's so far identified on my PC is me, and I don't think the software to control that is commercially available?)