More speed problems today

Started by davecollins, Oct 25, 2013, 12:05:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

At this time of the evening! :mad: :mad:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Gary

Mines fine at the moment, Bill  :dunno: Although I have probably now tempted fate
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Bill

So is mine now (well, nearly). Wonder if that bad patch was due to BT repairing things? :dunno:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Gary

Quote from: Bill on Oct 28, 2013, 23:05:34
So is mine now (well, nearly). Wonder if that bad patch was due to BT repairing things? :dunno:
I have avoided being online today as it was my birthday, missed all the slowdowns. tbh I am really not very impressed. IDNet must know when they are getting close to needing to buy more capacity from BT if all their blurb about network monitoring is true...  :sigh:

Simon

Happy Birthday, Gary!   :hbd1: :hb5: :hbd3:
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Thanks Simon, after issues with my mother and her drinking it was a bad day but that made me smile  ;) Cheers  :thumb:

psp83

My downstream has recovered but my upstream is still half at around 8 Mbps, it's usually around 16-17 Mbps.

Bill

Just for Gary:

:hapbir: :hbd9:

Now I'm going to bed :P
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Gary

zappaDPJ

Happy Birthday Gary, I hope you had a great day :)
zap
--------------------

sobranie

Steve

Steve
------------

Gary

Thanks Everyone, you all made my day, I mean that too  :)

Ray

Ray
--------------------

Bill

Quote from: Gary on Oct 29, 2013, 08:06:13you all made my day

Maybe IDNet can come up with a belated birthday present... in the form of some more bandwidth on the BT hostlink :P

Right, now we're back on topic ;D
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Gary

Quote from: Bill on Oct 29, 2013, 08:57:29
Maybe IDNet can come up with a belated birthday present... in the form of some more bandwidth on the BT hostlink :P

Right, now we're back on topic ;D
Yes please id love more bandwidth as a belated happy birthday, Bill.  ;) After all I pay enough for it  :eyebrow:

sobranie

Shot up to 74Mbps in the early hours.  Now back to 20Mbps.  I pay £45.00 pm for this cr*p!
Yeah I know, IDNet are wonderful and keep us all fully informed and I am fully aware that
Apple users are the cause of most of the problem coupled with problems with 'me pipes ducky.'
Rant over, I won't bother posting on the subject anymore and just put up with it!!!!!  :dunno:

Simon_idnet

We're expecting some more bandwidth from BT on Thursday. BT's lead-time is 5 working days. I have no idea why it takes them so long to key-in a minor software change. Nor why it appears that BT's computers are incapable of working at weekends. Their lead-time for everything is 5 *working* days...

Over the past week we've seen traffic from Akamai (who host content for Apple, the BBC and others) more than double which is more than we saw during the Olympics! We were expecting traffic from them to start drtopping off by now but the cautious upgraders (who wait a few days in case problems are reported) coupled with the fact that for very many commuters yesterday was a "work at home" day seems to have generated a lot of traffic for the BBC News site.

Simon

Hi Simon, thanks for the update.  :)
Simon.
--

Bill

Thanks Simon :thumb:

Quote from: Simon_idnet on Oct 29, 2013, 09:56:03I have no idea why it takes them so long to key-in a minor software change. Nor why it appears that BT's computers are incapable of working at weekends. Their lead-time for everything is 5 *working* days...

Probably haven't updated the Operating Procedures since the days when new copper wires had to be put in :(
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Gary

mervl

Um, useful to know that traffic can go unpredictably barmy: looks like I need to improve my self-management traffic control then  :fingers:

Technical Ben

Quote from: Steve on Oct 25, 2013, 13:12:00
The response from Simon at IDNet was related to capacity on the BT host link for which he apologised. I presume they may or may not increase this capacity as presumably once this Apple update dies down there will be room for everyone. As highlighted in another thread a few FTTC users downloading 10Gb each to update one machine each is going to have a significant impact. Certainly I've used probably an extra 40Gb in the last few days.
I'm late to the party (AFAIK all fine here and has been. :) ) but it's all down hill from here. Games, videos, software, it's all 10s and 10s of GBs now. Was 1-2gb or 5-6gb just a couple of years back, but now I'd not be surprised if we see near 100GB downloads coming up in the next year or two.  :o

PS, though it sounds crazy, you can already drop 300 or more MB off Apples update by removing the HD screensavers/desktop images. Now just imagine MS/Apple/Sony providing 2 or more "free Blue Ray movies" in the next update.  :swoon:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Gary

well my download speed is at 18Mbps don from 69Mbps, Latency is awful.  >:( I know they are awaiting bandwidth but I really expected better than this at this price level tbh. Maybe my expectations are set to high, who knows. lets hope its sorted by whenever its meant to be... :mad:

psp83

Quote from: Technical Ben on Oct 29, 2013, 12:12:28
I'm late to the party (AFAIK all fine here and has been. :) ) but it's all down hill from here. Games, videos, software, it's all 10s and 10s of GBs now. Was 1-2gb or 5-6gb just a couple of years back, but now I'd not be surprised if we see near 100GB downloads coming up in the next year or two.  :o

PS, though it sounds crazy, you can already drop 300 or more MB off Apples update by removing the HD screensavers/desktop images. Now just imagine MS/Apple/Sony providing 2 or more "free Blue Ray movies" in the next update.  :swoon:

I will be downloading BF4 soon and that's 30GB, then there's a patch for 700mb, plus DLC coming in a month time, that'll be another few gigs..